Search results

1. Yorkshire Mouth

Optical connection

I remember years ago, optical was capped and could t handle hi-red audio. I can’t remember the limit, but I think it couldn’t do 24/192. And now it can. May I ask, that’s great for the input on a DAC, but what about output on say a Blu-ray Disc player, or a DAP? Can they (and do they...
  2. Yorkshire Mouth

New Fosi Audio V3 Mono vs Topping PA5 II vs Topping PA7 (inc. 'Plus' versions)...and Aiyima A70

Someone in the new Fosi thread said a new thread would appear to compare models, so here it is. Links to Amir's reviews of the three: Fosi Audio V3 Mono Topping PA5 II Topping PA7 Aiyima A70 Prices are V3 Mono $260 (pair), PA5 II Plus $290, PA7 Plus $550, Aiyima A70 $220. Does the V3 match...
  3. Yorkshire Mouth

Klippel Near-field Scanner - room reflections and the estimated in-room response

Can anyone tell me how room reflections are calculated with the Klippel? To be specific, the combined effect of reflections will be greatly determined by the distance of the speaker from the listener in relation to the distance of reflecting surfaces. This is going to greater then just a...
  4. Yorkshire Mouth

Fire TV Stck

If I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick, and use and Amazon Basics HDMI Audio Extractor, fed into a good DAC, is there any reason to believe the sound wouldn’t be as good as PC or WiiM Streamer into the same DAC? Cheers.
  5. Yorkshire Mouth

Speaker Stands - desktop/office set up - is it just me…?

My current set up is a desktop affair, with speakers on stands either side of the desk. It’s a work in progress. I don’t know why I’ve not thought about this before, but sat in an office/gaming chair, you’re ears are far higher than if you’re sat on a sofa, or in an armchair. If my sums are...
  6. Yorkshire Mouth

Where should the estimated in-room response trend line go with a sub?

We’re very used to seeing Amir and Erin’s estimated in-room response trend lines, sloping upwards from right to left, usually stopping at around 100Hz, depending on the speaker. And I believe it’s generally thought to be ‘correct’ if the left hand side is c.5dB higher than the right. But if...
  7. Yorkshire Mouth

Desktop vs Full Room

In Ye Olde Dayes, hi-fi by default meant a lounge, or dedicated room. Now it appears that, not only have desktop set ups become ‘a thing’, they’re almost starting to dominate, based on the volume of traffic we see here. There’s a whole world of discussion to be had there. Am I right, or is...
  8. Yorkshire Mouth

Am I mad? Judge me...and leave a recommendation.

So I hate valve amps (erm...'toob' amps). I don't like their sound. I don't like their performance. I don't like the fact that you have to spend a relative fortune to get a half-decent-sounding one. Now you may disagree with any or all of that, but let's leave that to one side for the...
  9. Yorkshire Mouth

Two subwoofers with a single, fixed listening position

If I’m in a desk set up, where listening will be at the apex of an equilateral triangle (3 x 60° angles), is there any use to having two/multiple subwoofers, or does this just help with multiple seating/listening locations?
  10. Yorkshire Mouth

Why aren’t there more university level controlled tests?

I don’t get it. It would appear that there are universities across the globe with testing facilities. We’ve all seen academic papers posted here measuring the limits of human hearing, etc., etc. One has to ask, what are they doing the rest of the time? As an example, how long would it take to...
  11. Yorkshire Mouth

Two subwoofers

If your amp only has one sub out, and you can’t daisy chain as your subs don’t have an out, is it fine to use an RCA splitter?
  12. Yorkshire Mouth

Tidying cables

Okay, I'm not talking about cable ties, once the cables are away and hidden behind the furniture. I'm talking about the run from (for example) the back of your amp to the back of the shelf it's on. Like this: Don't they look nice! Any idea how to get them tidy, equally spaced, no kinks...
  13. Yorkshire Mouth

I'm amazed that I can't find a thread discussing this

I've been meaning to post on this for quite a while. The only (very brief) discussion I can see on it is in the thread on @amirm's review of the Behringer A500. Ripe for discussion at a forum like this. https://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm
  14. Yorkshire Mouth

Snake oil sales pitch

Before we go any further, I'm not saying these speaker stands are snake oil (I quite like the look of them), or that filled speakers with sand, etc., is snake oil (I suspect it's a good idea). But the technique used in this video is 100% definitely snake oil, and a very deliberate attempt to...
  15. Yorkshire Mouth

Using PEQ for the room AND speakers

So let’s take a pair of So the Diamonds have a dip at 2khz, the Revels a bump at 100hz. Okay, so fairly easy to EQ those errors out. But how does that fit in with room EQ? Will automatic room EQ correct those? Will it presume the speaker is flat, and presume the errors are caused by the room?
  16. Yorkshire Mouth

Subwoofer placement calculations

If I know the exact dimensions of a room and my exact seating position (this is for solo listening in a single chair, not along a sofa, or a number of rows), is it easy to calculate the best (perfect?) subwoofer placement?
  17. Yorkshire Mouth

Lack of 2.1 support is grinding my gears

I might have this wrong, but I suspect most of us, or at least a significant minority have (or aspire to): - A great DAC (they’re so cheap!) - A great amp (these new desktop ones like the Toppings and Fosi Audios are superb…and so cheap!) - A good pair of speakers, more often than not...
  18. Yorkshire Mouth

Topping LA90 vs Topping PA5 II - Objectivist considerations

As I often note, whilst I've learned a lot over the past few years, I'm still learning in all areas; some more than others. So my question may reveal the limitations of my knowledge, misunderstandings, etc. Please be kind, and correct me gently. I have one purpose for the post, but several...
  19. Yorkshire Mouth

WiiM into WiiM PEQ?

Just a thought. The WiiM Mini has a 4 band PEQ and a digital out. The Pro, Pro Plus and Amp all have digital ins and 4 band PEQ. I’m sure there must be members out there who bought a mini, then bought a Pro when it appeared, and/or Pro Plus, and/or Amp, and do have a Mini and one of the others...
  20. Yorkshire Mouth

Hi-if subwoofer with line level pass through

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I’ll give it a go. I’d like a subwoofer, where you output stereo RCAs from your pre-amp/DAC/whatever, then the sub’s crossover does its job and strips out the sub bass, then outputs over stereo RCAs to your amp. The idea being that it removes the need...
Top Bottom