Search results

1. Sythrix

Current DIY Projects with Professional Measurements Available.

Like many of you, I need something to do during the Quarantine. I'm going to have a lot of free time on my hands. I've already built Pete Millett's NuHybrid Headphone Amp, Butte Headphone Amp, Starving Student (Gen 1. A failure, but I learned a lot from it) and have also built the WHAMMY...
  2. Sythrix

Is there a scientific way that intentionally creating "hard to drive" headphones could lead to better sound?

So, every major headphone release I see nowadays stresses that their new model is "easy to drive", but still sounds good. OK, fair move, no complaints here with that. That's what most people want. However... Amir recently posted that he was looking for hard to drive headphones, so that he could...
  3. Sythrix

The ultimate guide to Bluetooth headphones: LDAC isn’t Hi-res

https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/ More clever marketing that's brought down by reality and the limits of wireless audio. Theoretical maximums that are usually never achieved because most people will never know the difference if they're fed the bare minimum. :rolleyes:
  4. Sythrix

Pitch Discrimination Training (and Also How It Could Help/Relates to Tinnitus)

A while ago I happened upon this website called Plasticity, which allows you to play a game in auditory discrimination. Basically you set up the game, then attempt to discern between two pitches which are similar in frequency. The interesting thing about this, is that there is a theory that it...
  5. Sythrix

WHAMMY DIY Build

I have decided to build the WHAMMY DIY Headphone amp, as it looks fairly straightforward. I got interested in the project after finding the PCB on the diyAudio store. The build guide is a little bare-bones in some aspects, but there's schematics, pictures and it's detailed enough that you can...
  6. Sythrix

RMAF 2018 - Tickets bought. Anyone else going?

I secured my tickets for all three days. Last year I went for two days and really didn't see as much as I should have. Mostly hung out at CanJam, but I think I missed out on seeing a lot of good stuff. I know it's kind of a ways off, over a month (Oct 5 - 7), but I thought it might be...
  7. Sythrix

Best way to go about measuring Bluetooth MMCX Headphone Adapter for IEMs?

Hello, I have recently ordered the MEE Audio BTX1. It has not arrived yet. I plan to use it for running. It features aptX and AAC protocols for ~CD quality music~ ;) There are no measurements or given information whatsoever on the performance of the amplifier or DAC for this, or really any of...
  8. Sythrix

New Alex Cavalli Liquid Platinum and Spark Amps at Monoprice

ETA: 06/26/2018 Monolith Liquid Platinum Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli - $699.99 Monolith Liquid Spark Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli - $99.99 Two interesting amps featuring Cavalli design. The Liquid Platinum is a fully balanced tube hybrid with 3.6W into 50 ohms and the Liquid...
  9. Sythrix

Frustrated with understanding power supplies... DIY solutions

I am trying to come up with two effective power supplies, one for the RME ADI-2 DAC and another for the upcoming Massdrop X THX AAA 789 Linear Amplifier. RME ADI-2 DAC: Idle power consumption: 7 Watts, Max. power consumption: 18 Watts (9 - 15V supply accepted). Massdrop X THX: 24V at 1.8 Amp...
  10. Sythrix

Massdrop THX AAA 789 ending shortly. First measurement posted.

I've been interested in this amp for a while and now it's near ending. I don't know if it was due to my complaining about the fact that there were none, but they've posted a measurement on the website. I was wondering if anyone could take a look and tell me what you think. I'm not very...
Top Bottom