Search results

1. Sythrix

Hifiman HE-6 Test with Dekoni Pad

I have the HE-6se version. The original pads fell apart, so I kind of did a makeshift fix with some circle adhesive and some old pads. Might get some of these now, or another variant of them. The original HiFiman pads were such garbage. If anyone was interested, I would be willing to send them...
  2. Sythrix

Current DIY Projects with Professional Measurements Available.

No, this is all theoretical based on what I had in storage... I wanted to try making something other than headphone amps. I'm not really well versed on speakers and power amps. Haven't thought about speaker kits or otherwise.
  3. Sythrix

I have a pair of Alesis Monitor Two speakers. Manual says 4 ohm and 90 dB SPL @ 1 watt.
  4. Sythrix

This is pretty cool! It's really lucky you had a case all ready to go. I am considering the Modulus-86 as well, but I'm afraid sourcing the case and making it ready is keeping me from taking the plunge. I have such a hard time with fabrication and layout. If only there was something already...
  5. Sythrix

Thanks for the suggestion! It looks really tempting. However, I note at the start of the measurements he says it does not have sufficient heatsinking at 1/3 of its rated power. That's a little concerning, isn't it? I worry about the longevity if it's not able to maintain a safe heat level.
  6. Sythrix

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really know where I'd begin with all that though.
  7. Sythrix

Do you mean within the DAC itself? Is this typical? Or is it sporadic based on model? Also, I've heard digital volume control actually destroys sound quality, by shaving off bits. Is that true in this scenario?
  8. Sythrix

Thanks. I've built several headphone amps already, the most difficult being the WHAMMY, which has an integrated power supply. While my interest for headphone amps will never wane, I would like to explore other possibilities. The fact of the matter is, between what I've built and bought, I...
  9. Sythrix

I'm curious if you could you give a little more detail on what you built and your implementation? What you used? I'm having trouble figuring out what all I'd need for a power amplifier build. Did you use all 4 in the same enclosure? Thanks :)
  10. Sythrix

Doesn't look like much information is provided on the site as far as the build goes. Does he provide anything? It says BOM in the features, so I'm guessing that's when you buy it. Does he have a build-guide or any suggestions on putting it together, or are you on your own basically?
  11. Sythrix

This looks really interesting. I may just have to build it. Thanks for the suggestion! EDIT: It looks like he didn't add balanced output to this model. That's interesting, I wonder why. He does have balanced input.
  12. Sythrix

Like many of you, I need something to do during the Quarantine. I'm going to have a lot of free time on my hands. I've already built Pete Millett's NuHybrid Headphone Amp, Butte Headphone Amp, Starving Student (Gen 1. A failure, but I learned a lot from it) and have also built the WHAMMY...
  13. Sythrix

Review and Measurements of Asus STX II PCI Sound Card

it is likely it was defective, yes. The card has been acting strangely, causing restarts in my computer when the relays click. As to whether or not the defects caused the poor measurements, or the extent of them, I cannot say. I have since removed the whole thing from my computer. EDIT: Also...
  14. Sythrix

Benchmark HPA4 based on THX AAA Amplifier

The amp is priced as it is because it's Benchmark... The only reason you could possibly factor in hardware is in the actual amplification module, the THX 888, which is the flagship design process that THX has put out and the most expensive to implement. The touchscreen does not cost anything...
  15. Sythrix

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

But does it come in blue? I bought the M100 in blue and I think it would look great on top of one of these also in blue.
  16. Sythrix

Review and Measurements of EVGA NU Audio PC Card

Good to see some more reviews of sound cards. I thought after you reviewed my Asus STX II, you were done with measuring them altogether. I'm pretty sure the one I sent you was actually defective. When the relays clicked, they sometimes caused my PC to reset, or not start up. Don't know the...
  17. Sythrix

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Found the answer in the discussions on Drop. So yeah, you're right. That explains what you said and why the RCAs are holding steady at max gain. EDIT: Followed advice #2 and set +7 for Reference and set it to gain 3. No clipping and I have a hell of a lot of headroom to go. However, I could...
  18. Sythrix

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Playing around with "Reference Level" on the ADI-2 DAC and lowering that eliminates the clipping. It was at +13 dB. The options are +13, +7, +1, -5. I'm not sure as to the relevance here. Is it an artificial manipulation of the signal? Why isn't straight up "0" an option if so? +1 seems the...
Top Bottom