Search results

1. M

Bass and subwoofers

1) Welti's approach requires sending a mono signal to all subwoofers. Yes a mid wall placement is consistent with one of his setups, but it must recieve a mono signal to work. Soundfield management is contingent on the input to the DSP being mono. Same for MSO. Same for Geddes approach. So...
  2. M

Bass and subwoofers

The article was thoroughly peer reviewed by David, Todd, and Floyd. Some changes were made to my description of how we percieve envelopment based on feedback from Floyd and David, but overall they had no concerns with my description. I am not sure what I got wrong. As for this or that, even...
  3. M

Bass and subwoofers

I'm sorry you dislike this term so much, but it was a term adopted by Welti and used widely at the time I was researching this. David expressed no similar concerns with the term, in fact he quite liked it as I recall.
  4. M

Bass and subwoofers

It is an older article so of course it references older material. It was inspired by a years worth of experimentation with David specifically to hear this effect, as I had been unfamiliar with the concept before talking with him. However, I walked away more unimpressed than anything. It is...
  5. M

Perlisten speakers

I apologize I just saw this and realize I never responded. The main benefits of DSP vs passive designs are that there is no cost to adding more response shaping and correction and the mechanisms to do so are far more precise. Further, inductors distort and so getting rid of them reduces...
  6. M

Perlisten speakers

Yes hard sharp edges can potentially have diffraction issues but the Perlisten has a number of factors in it's favor, including the basic issue that the measurements don't show measured signs of serious diffraction problems. First, waveguides in general help direct the sound at mid and high...
  7. M

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

The new approaches to bass control (if you will) from Dirac and Trinnov rely on reflection cancelation. Everything you share here would be moot with these methods. Room modes and SBIR effects are a function of reflections off barriers. These methods fully cancel those reflections, so no modes...
  8. M

A sine swept measurement still contains as much reverb as any other method. Why would it not? Reverb is the effect of the mix of reflections in the room, the impulsive nature of the signal doesn't matter.
  9. M

Perlisten speakers

If they want to bring such products to market of equal quality for less money and stay in business, they should try. I've tried to bring a few things to market recently and when the realities of production at scale came in, I realized it was so expensive that my dreams were simply not reality...
  10. M

Perlisten speakers

I think a lot of folks don't know how drivers are made. That most drivers are made from various subassemblies and parts that come from various third parties. It is fairly rare that a company would be totally vertically integrated such that they make the voice coil, magnet, pole piece, frame...
  11. M

Perlisten speakers

I also need to further note that the assertions you make here are illinformed nonsense. You clearly have no way of knowing what you claim to be true, but there are a number of obvious clues to why you are wrong. First you claim that the woofers are the same. Well, James showed raw pics of the...
  12. M

Perlisten speakers

I keep seeing this again and again. The Perlisten does not use Satori drivers. There is no relation to SB Acoustics. They are completely custom drivers made in house by Perlisten and designed by Perlistens engineers. The reason for this confusion is the driver material. Only one company...
  13. M

"Is Audiophile Snobbery Ruining our Hobby ?"

I would really hope folks don't do that. Two speakers can have equally good "scores" and still sound quite different. These systems are for entertainment and you like them, that is for nobody else to judge. Ultimately speakers are very personal and should be chosen because they meet your...
  14. M

"Is Audiophile Snobbery Ruining our Hobby ?"

Gene left the forum. I am still around, I just have been busy. I basically moved into my new house, have been working on unpacking (still) and getting all the little projects done around the house that didn't get finished when we moved in, dealing with family live and two young kids, and two...
  15. M

Outlaw Model 5000 Multichannel Amplifier Review

Not yet. I actually just unpacked it. I mean, I can say this, I measured it before I packed it away. It measured close to spec. Power output was good, exceeded the spec, and S/N was very close. My measurement system is prone to introducing increased power supply noises sometimes, and I am...
  16. M

That is specific to addressing first reflections. Adding absorption isn't only about absorbing first reflections. Reflections, generally, can refer to the way in which sound is bouncing around the room. Many rooms decay too slowly and you would add absorption to address this. I agree that a...
  17. M

It's actually a 20 channel processor with full and sophisticated DSP control of all 20 channels. The room eq and 3d remapping is part of the cost, but it also has DSP controls similar to a mini DSP for 20 channels. It can be used to control a fully active system without an external DSP...
  18. M

Same room correction, just new setup software. Trinnov is quite a bit more advanced and capable in it's optimization capabilities and the sophistication of a system it can control. A lot of people don't need that and this would be a waste for them potentially.
  19. M

What I've been told numerous times by the software engineers involved in coding the control software for these (and various other brands) is that the "mediocre" performance is largely coming from a balancing act they are playing. I am curious to test the SPDIF output of the Trinnov that was...
  20. M

The Trinnov has way more control capability for a complex hometheater than any receiver on the market. There are use cases that this is required. Your system may not be one of them. That is what this brings to the table. The measured performance of this product show it to have inaudible...
Top Bottom