Search results

1. Angsty

VPI Classic

I know there are a lot of vinyl haters on ASR, so I'm not really directing this thread to them! I'm curious about the VPI Classic series and ASR users' experience with them. I have a VPI Traveler today and I'm thinking about an upgrade. Given that vinyl is a flawed medium in itself, what...
  2. Angsty

Source Selector Switch

I’ve had two older amps recapped by Peter Williams at Quirk Audio in the past two years. Peter does great work, but now I’m faced with the decision on which amp to keep in my main setup. To help with the comparison over the summer, I’d like to get an amp/source selector switch. Do any of you...
  3. Angsty

Fluid dampers - do they really work?

I did a search but could not find much discussion on this topic on ASR. I recently acquired a KAB tonearm damper for my PLX-1000 turntable. After installing the damper and fluid, I could hear some differences but I do wonder how much of what I'm hearing is due to a change of effective tonearm...
  4. Angsty

What did it take for your phono system to sound “right” to you?

I recently cataloged many, but probably not all, of the “tweaks” I made after my last turntable purchase to get it to sound “right” to me. I have few measuring devices, but have been guided by what I hope are sound electro-mechanical principles: I changed my phono preamp to a higher SINAD...
  5. Angsty

Washington Post Article Regarding ODA Speakers

Wooden speakers? WTH? https://www.washingtonpost.com/road-to-recovery/oda-speakers-music-service/2020/12/29/4b46dd8c-439c-11eb-a277-49a6d1f9dff1_story.html
  6. Angsty

Polishing CDs

I'm coming out of the shadows and owning it - I still collect CDs. I have some compact discs that I've had for more than 30 years at this point, and some of them show signs of use and wear. What do you recommend to polish modestly scratched CDs to restore them to playability? I saw that...
  7. Angsty

Vacuum Record Cleaners

I got a rude awakening when my new Shibata stylus cartridge started digging gunk out of my grooves that my old elliptical seemed to not disturb. I’ve been using a Record Doctor vacuum cleaner since last Christmas, with the OEM cleaning fluid. Do other vacuum cleaner brands perform the job...
  8. Angsty

Bryston 4B upgrade program

Bryston has a nice bit of marketing going on right now in the form of the 4B upgrade program. Trade in your older 4B model and you get a variable discount on a new 4B Cubed. Has anyone verified that the measurable differences in the 4B line improvements are actually above the threshold of...
  9. Angsty

First MC Cartridge

I have been using an Ortofon 2M Blue with a VPI Traveler and a Sutherland Insight phono for a few years now. I’m ready to try something new in the form of a Hana EL moving coil cartridge. My question is about loading. Excel Sound recommends a loading of 400 ohms or more for the cartridge. I...
Top Bottom