Search results

1. T

Spacial-Audio (not Apple's)

I got a call today from a man in Kentucky names Robert Leach who is very excited about his new method of playing back stereo recordings using more than two speakers. https://www.spacial-audio.com/ He was hoping I could drop by and have a listen to what he has going there. I live in Oregon so...
  2. T

Mid/Side method for recording, mixing and mastering, and playback.

I've been using a stereo playback method for about a year now that involves up-mixing 2 channel stereo into 3 channels, L-R, L+R, R-L. A thread about it here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/stereo-crosstalk-elimination-reduction-par-excellence.39157/ This video...
  3. T

Does a voice coil have to be round?

Dynamic speaker drivers have a voice coil embedded in a small gap between magnets, which creates a good deal of motor force. These wires are are always wound up in a circle or perhaps an oval sometimes. This is great for point source applications, but what if we want to make a dynamic line...
  4. T

Room equalization through inverse delayed and attenuated bass signals

I've been thinking about bass response in rooms, and a potential problem with equalization via IIR FIR filters, which may not address time delay issues correctly. For instance, a peak may be happening not because of a bounce that's one wavelength late, but may maybe two wavelengths. And a...
  5. T

Delayed First Reflections

I've been thinking about the need for reflections coming from about 60 degrees off axis for a sense of acoustic envelopment, which I have, but I also understand that they should have more delay time than I get from my roughly 13' wide room. It occurred to me that I could bounce the reflections...
  6. T

Horizontal widely spaced driver arrangements for stereo

About 15 years ago I recall seeing a pair of B&W 801 speakers that were disassembled and arranged so that the tweeters were pretty close together in front of the listener, the mids were out at about the normal 60 degree triangle position, and the woofers were way out wide, to either side of the...
  7. T

Dummy head for measuring room response

Dummy heads are used to measure headphones against a target curve. The target curve as I understand it was derived from measuring dummy head response of a good speaker in a good room. So why not measure room / speaker response using a dummy head and once again shoot for the good target response...
  8. T

Unreliable frequency response from Mac Mini - or something in my system.

For a few years now I've been noticing some occasional playback glitches that result in obvious and serious distortion. Fixing it usually involves restarting one or more components. This got me wondering if more subtle playback errors may be creeping in sometimes and tonight I caught one red...
  9. T

The Sound Quality of Appetite for Destruction

Lately I've been noticing how the improved stereo width and separation that I'm getting with my current setup seems to make everything sound better. A couple nights ago I was watching short videos on Facebook and someone had Welcome to the Jungle playing in the background. It sounded like they...
  10. T

What Exactly is Uncorrelated Pink Noise ?

I have been trying to understand the tonal effects of mixing stereo channels together with one inverted. Obviously anything that's exactly the same in both channels will disappear, with only the difference remaining. Recently I tried listening to uncorrelated stereo pink noise, first with both...
  11. T

Stereo Crosstalk Elimination (reduction) Par Excellence!

I feel like I've come across something really fantastic! It started out as an attempt to simply derive a center channel from 2 channel stereo. By accident it turned out to be an outstanding crosstalk elimination method - much better than I thought at first because I hadn't dialed it in all the...
  12. T

Group Delay Inherent in Recordings?

I found this post over on the DIY audio forum: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/subwoofer-group-delay.303154/post-4974284 Is he on to something here? I do agree with him about how the cone position relates to the air pressure. If a condenser mic. is recording maximum voltage at peak...
  13. T

Diplacusis - perceiving pitch differently in each ear.

I had never heard of this but discovered I was suffering from it while listening to sine wave bass tones through my speakers. I think was 80Hz. At first I thought I heard distortion and figured it was my speakers having a problem. Then I tried listening on headphones on a completely different...
  14. T

What's going on with these bass horns? The mystery of the missing frequencies.

I've been scratching my head lately about a whole room suck out I have at 85 Hz with my horn woofer stacks. It's a little louder here and there but overall 85 hz is way down everywhere. 75hz too. So I got to wondering how that can be. How can the woofer be moving without making sound? Could the...
  15. T

Oops - redundant content

accidentally posted something twice. This can be deleted.
  16. T

Measure your C50 in REW and tell us how your bass sounds!

You are all invited to participate in this experiment to test the idea that a high C50 value as measured by REW equates to good, tight sounding bass. The idea here is that some value of C50 may correlate to subjectively good sounding bass in listening rooms. We're specifically looking at the C50...
  17. T

Opioid use can trigger deafness

Potential bad news for audiophiles in need of pain relief. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200817144112.htm "Researchers identified 41 people with opioid exposure who experienced full or partial hearing loss or tinnitus, likely caused by toxicity to the ear. More than half had...
Top Bottom