Search results

1. F

System-Wide SINAD?

Yeah, that's right. The intuition is that the lowest component SINEAD is going to dominate the chain. That's why some argue that if your room has significant background noise, really high SINEAD values don't matter much. I'll leave that debate to the experts.
  2. F

System-Wide SINAD?

If you're interested in the decibel math, here's a python snippet that will do the computation (decibel is just a scaled log transform of a level): from math import log10 def db(s): return 10 * log10(s) def inv_db(d): return 10 ** (d / 10) Plugging in your values, you get the answer...
  3. F

Deciding on Genelec model: 8030C vs 8331A

My speakers definitely sound different with the dog. He habitually knocks into the left stand, rotating the speaker just enough to mess up my imaging. Anyone want a nice collie?
  4. F

Final update: I went over to BH Photo to audition studio monitors. They didn't have any of the Genelec Ones in stock but I did hear the 8030c, as well as Neumann KH80 and KH120s. I decided on the 8030c and have had them running now for a couple of months. I also bought a miniDSP SHD to handle...
  5. F

Dont like the sound of room correction

I use a DDRC-22D to run Dirac room correction (Ascend Sierra 2-EX speakers with a single Rhythmik F12-SE subwoofer crossed over at 80 Hz using a MiniDSP 2x4 HD). When I first bought the device it was running Dirac Live v1. With this old version of the software I found good results correcting up...
  6. F

I'm aware of comb filtering but unclear about its relation to the spinorama results. Does the spinorama average out comb filter effects by measuring in multiple locations? If so, would a point source speaker be preferred over a regular speaker with the same preference score? I think I read in...
  7. F

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the vertical offset in the 8030C measurements. I read through that thread earlier, and came to the conclusion that the Neumann models are pretty competitive. I like the auto standby for the Genelecs. Is the class D amp benefit an efficiency thing? As for looks, neither...
  8. F

Thank you. That's what I suspected. I don't care about the vertical dispersion advantages unless they make the Ones sound better at my listening location.
  9. F

I'm considering buying some Genelec speakers, but I'm confused about the sound quality of the higher models like the 8331A compared to the much cheaper 8030C. I've searched this site but can't seem to find a discussion about this. My general question is around the spinorama results: both...
  10. F

Revel Salon2 vs Genelec 8351B - Blind Test Preparations

My 2 cents: Sorry for the late reply, but I strongly recommend that you do go forward with this listening test. I think that your proposed methodology (arrange speakers so that they sound similar in sighted listending, EQ to remove low frequency room modes, etc.) makes complete sense. I feel...
  11. F

USB to optical cable

+1 I have the same need, to connect a MacBook Pro to a MiniDSP DDRC-22D. I'd like to use USB on the Mac to drive an optical input on the DDRC. A quick search on Amazon was confusing.
  12. F

The Science Delusion: has science become dogmatic?

I think that this is a reasonable criticism, especially of string theory. The idea is straightforward, and if true it would unify quantum theories and general relativity. It turns out that the math underlying the theory is very difficult, and in particular it's hard to make quantitative testable...
  13. F

When you question the big bang, you have to be careful about what precisely you're questioning. Are you questioning the current cosmological models? They involve a singularity at the beginning, where quantities are infinite and not explainable by current physics. However, after the singularity...
  14. F

Regarding dogma in physics, I used to be in particle astrophysics. Many researchers were searching for evidence that the laws of physics were different over time or space. Finding evidence of that would have been very interesting indeed. As a tiny example, the last paper I wrote before leaving...
Top Bottom