Search results

1. S

Hypex Ncore NC122MP VS NC252MP

I'm not even sure there's a universal answer to that. It seems that class-AB amplifiers generally have more headroom for transient peaks (above their rated continuous power output) than class-D. So, all other things being equal, you might want a class-D amplifier with a higher continuous power...
  2. S

Can resistors add impedance to a speaker

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve here. A resistor in series with your speaker implements a voltage divider. To get the same volume of output from the speaker, you'll have to turn up the gain on your amp (because some of the output is "wasted" -- dissipated silently as heat in...
  3. S

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

I swore off commenting on this thread. But ... Ford just reopened orders for the Mach-E this week. They had stopped taking orders because of high demand. I suppose that's completely uncorrelated with all the anecdotes about limited inventories.
  4. S

ASR without the A. Science news without the BS

I think you'll find that the professional theoretical physicists find her borderline crackpot. Of course, you might respond that that's self-serving on their part. So I'll link to computer scientist (and quantum computing expert) Scott Aaronson instead. See, e.g., here and here.
  5. S

To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question.

Depending on how accurately you want to model the speaker, you may need to get considerably more complicated. The complex impedance of a speaker, Z(ω), is typically a rather complicated function of frequency. Your equivalent circuit has impedance Z(ω)= R₁+iL₁ +(iωC+1/iωL₂ +1/R₂)⁻¹. That gives a...
  6. S

Roon 2.0 Launched Today - Adds Mobile Listening

Forwarding one TCP port is, honestly not that big a deal. Setup-wise, it's just as easy as turning on UPnP. Security-wise, it's only as good as Roon's security. On that note, I'd point out that — in its default installation — Roon runs as root, which might be OK for an application running...
  7. S

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

The distributional problem cuts both ways. The benefits of burning cheap fossil fuels accrue to those using them, whereas the costs are borne by everyone (and even those are not borne equally; the Pacific Islander, whose entire country is going to be submerged, is measurably worse off than the...
  8. S

1.5℃ is better than 2℃; 2℃ is better than 2.5℃; 2.5℃ is better than 3℃ ... Frankly, we need to decarbonize as quickly as possible and very likely engage in some massive geo-engineering projects over the next 70 years, because doing so (which will be expensive) will be far cheaper than not doing so.
  9. S

For grid-level battery storage (unlike for EVs), you don't need the energy-densities that lithium-ion batteries afford. There are plenty of other battery technologies that are cheaper/more ecologically-friendly that would work as well or better.
  10. S

I already posted the info on nameplate capacity above (my source). 44% Natural Gas (552GW) 21% Coal & Oil (262GW) 27% Renewables (335 GW) 8% Nuclear (101 GW) I also posted a graph of how the nameplate capacity has changed over the last decade (my source) above. There, you can see that there's...
  11. S

Plenty of reports of Teslas (mostly Model S's, since they're the only EVs that have been on the road, in nontrivial numbers, for long enough) lasting 200k, 300k, even 1million(!) miles. The battery pack is warrantied for 8yrs/100k miles.
  12. S

No, that's generation, not nameplate capacity. Click on the link, and look at the report yourself. (This is why, unlike some people, I provide links to my sources.)
  13. S

Latest (April 2022) data on US power generation (EIA latest monthly report): Natural Gas: 107 TWhr (35%) Renewables: 91 TWhr (29%) Coal & Oil: 56 TWhr (18%) Nuclear: 55 TWhr (18%) No reason we can't double both nuclear and renewables.
  14. S

I wish you a speedy recovery. But I do need to clear up the incorrect (or, at least, highly misleading) statements in your posts above. The CfD Renewable Energy Auctions were introduced by the Energy Act of 2013, replacing the previous (arguably bad) ROC (Renewables Obligation Certificate)...
  15. S

Eventually, humankind will build a Dyson Sphere and then all our energy needs will be solved. We just need to survive long enough to get there. In the shorter term, floating solar or even floating solar combined with offshore wind and wave energy provide a possible avenue to massively scale up...
  16. S

Aside from the limited usable supply of ²³⁵U, there are a host of other problems in trying to scale up nuclear power to supply a significant fraction of the world's energy needs (15 TW). A really good analysis is this one in the Proceedings of the IEEE. Scaling up from the current 400 GW to 1...
  17. S

Nuclear fission reactors are absolutely necessary, if we're going to decarbonize our energy sector. Unfortunately, the details are not pretty. Leaving aside the spent fuel rods (and the much larger amount of radioactive waste that you get when you disassemble the reactor itself after its 40...
  18. S

Subsidies to oil and gas producers dwarf those for wind and solar. Texas Monthly had a very detailed article in which they looked at subsidies to different energy sectors in Texas. Lots of details there, but the general picture is captured in this graph
  19. S

If I understood correctly, the strike price* is £48/MWh. Again, my understanding is that if the market price of electricity is less than the strike price, then the operator receives a subsidy (i.e., they get paid the strike price, rather than the market price). If the market price is greater...
Top Bottom