Search results

1. S

UMIK-1 and Anthem ARC show different responses. What gives?

I don't have a great ear but recently I've noticed my system a bit lacking in the deep bass. I ran some sinewaves too and seemed like the loudness of bass dropped quickly under 40hz (even knowing that lower frequencies generally sound quieter). I ran REW with my UMIK-1 to check it out and sure...
  2. S

Got my REW reverberation (RT60) graphs. Please comment!

I have a 25x16x9' home theatre used for movies and video games. I've finally gotten around to putting insulation on all walls/ceiling and took these measurements in REW with a umik-1 microphone. I don't trust my ear to tell what sounds good from what doesn't so I rely on objective data. I forget...
  3. S

Wife finds theatre too loud. Bumming me out! How can I make it 5db quieter for only her?

I have a home theatre and wife and I constantly fight on sound level. I spent a lot of time and money in there and I really want to feel it. I should add that I actually don’t want to listen to it super loud or anything. I’m probably below average even! 5db is making all the difference. It’s...
  4. S

Am I ruining my sound with insulation?

I have a 9.2.6 system in a 16x25x9 home theatre. Long story short I have a front wall with left, center, and right channels and these are surrounded and backed by 15-25" of insulation. See the photo below. A screen goes in front of the speakers. The insulation was placed based on the following...
  5. S

What should I be looking for in REW?

I have a 9.2.6 setup in my home theatre. Today I put up a ton of insulation in a couple areas and I ran REW for the first time. It is mostly over my head, though I did find the charts below. I am generally familiar with frequency response curves so the first curve looks pretty good to me. The...
  6. S

Has anyone compared different acoustically transparent fabrics?

I’m looking for the most acoustically transparent fabric available. This could be standard speaker cloth, I got my hands on some data for Guildford of Maine fabrics and I’m not impressed and an analysis described in Dr. Toole’s book corroborates my concerns. I’d love to see hard data pointing...
  7. S

Help me understand the acoustic transparency of these different fabrics

Hi all I am looking at buying some fabric from guilfordofmaine.com to line a theatre room. I'll have speakers and acoustic panels behind this fabric. My hope is for this fabric to be as transparent as possible and to not do much absorbing of its own. I want the cloth "neutral" because I am going...
  8. S

How can I calculate the point of first reflection?

I've heard I can just have someone stand at a wall with a mirror and if I can see the tweeter then this is a point of first reflection. Is this generally correct? Unfortunately I need to make some placement decisions and my room isn't yet done and I don't really want to be messing around with...
  9. S

Do speakers with good off-axis response require less acoustic treatment at first reflection point?

I have KEF R7s and will be putting them in a theatre. I'm familiarizing myself with acoustic treatments and early reflections etc. I've run across a few people who suggest that speakers with good off-axis response benefit from having minimal early reflection absorption to maximize sound stage...
  10. S

What are people thoughts on using bookshelves as LCRs?

I'm likely building a home theater at some point. The designs are still in the works but the front row might be 12' from the front speakers and the rear row might be 17' from the front speakers. I'm toying with the idea of having bookshelf speakers as LCRs since they're considerably cheaper. For...
Top Bottom