Search results

1. S

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

It sounds like a good idea for an AV Reviewer's Society to kick off, with their first benefit being indemnity insurance.
  2. S

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Erin said on his YT community page that he was going to measure the speaker with feet and then repost the results. He also apparently spoke to an attorney.
  3. S

Ear patients and Audio

Meniere's disease hit me about 5 years ago, and I have since lost all hearing in my left ear. My right ear is still good, but I cannot hear stereo or directional sound, everything sounds like it is coming from the same place. A cochlear implant would help but no coverage until I'm deaf in both...
  4. S

System help: Adding channels to existing 2.1 setup...

I would agree with the AVR recommendation. Some of the higher level Denon's and Marantz's also provide pre-outs which have measured well so you can still use your amplifier for the front two speakers if you want. Room correction from Dirac (multiple manufacturers), Anthem, or Lyngdorf are all...
  5. S

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

They gave the owner's the option to brick their speakers for a 50% off coupon on new ones, rather than having them send it back to the factory for destruction. They moved to a new eco-system because they couldn't support newer standards with the old system. Especially Airplay2. Eventually...
  6. S

Verge / CES: The Frame has become such a hit that Samsung is making a speaker version

Interesting article and speaker. The Sonos / Ikea version didn't completely suck, and with Harman working on these I expect them to be fairly descent. https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/7/24029243/samsung-music-frame-speaker-announced-specs-features More specifically, the Music Frame contains...
  7. S

Lack of 2.1 support is grinding my gears

Just to add, NAD has a variety of 2.1 amps. Any of the C amps (which are already 2.1) which can take an expansion card can get a full PEQ and Dirac for $300. The 3045 also has a high pass filter and subout but is less adjustable.
  8. S

AES Paper Presentation on DAC Measurements (Video)

You ought to reach out to any local Universities. It maybe difficult without funding, but 4 publications in AES isn't bad for an aspiring Ph.D. or someone looking to get into grad school. Often they can bring their departmental resources to bear so journal editors, APA / Klippel / anechoic...
  9. S

Buying advice Amplifier (2.1, D-Class)

Other than the RSL mentioned above, there aren't many options that provide a high pass filter unless you go full AVR. I think the NAD 3045, SVS Prime Base, and Bluesound Node are about it, and they are in a different price category.
  10. S

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

Will the volume knob on the MOTU adjust 1-3 / 1-4? That was my hangup is that outputs 3/4 couldn't be grouped with 1/2, unless you do them in software?
  11. S

400 bucks budget for a pair of studio monitors for home studio: JBL 306p MKII or Kali LP-6 2nd

FYI spinorama.org is a great website that tries to index all of the objective measurements on loudspeakers. They have the data / graphs and who / how they were generated.
  12. S

What are the "Audio Science Review"s of other industries?

I haven't seen https://crinacle.com/ mentioned yet for IEM''s and headphones. He isn't quite as objective only as some here, but has the equipment, knowledge, and has done the tests.
  13. S

I'm a wedding DJ and need help picking a DAC for my iPad

Option 1: Use the headphone jack on the iPad (I think the pads still have them). Apple has a very good reputation when it comes to DAC's and audio. Option 2: Use an Apple dongle. The downside is you will get unbalanced signals, but if you can live with that, I would choose 1 or 2. If you need...
  14. S

Linus Tech Tips is going to be testing audio gear? LTT Lab 1

I'm not convinced that Steve knows that much about audio either. The SPCR guy is a good consultant for computer noise, but I think he trusted him too much over those with formal training and now has a hemi-anechoic chamber that is twice the price (or more) but will still give worse results than...
  15. S

Artist-friendly music streaming alternatives to Spotify et al.

Of the "major" streaming services I believe Apple is the best, Spotify the worst, and YouTube and Amazon are closer to Apple. The flip side is that Spotify has the best discoverability IMHO and best "AI" DJ's.
  16. S

Desktop speakers under $400 / pair

They are probably excellent given Dennis' reputation and prior speakers. However, the need for an amplifier would push them over the OP's budget.
  17. S

I contacted SVS about getting their speakers measured...

Audio Advice has loaned showroom speakers to Erin in the past to measure, and I think Kef directly supplies him (or through a dealer). Vantoo and Focal have also supplied speakers to Erin + Joe to review jointly. I'm sure others I am forgetting. Erin I think has been more aggressive about...
  18. S

Corsair is buying DIY mechanical keyboard [and desktop audio] brand Drop

There is almost no mention in the press or press release of any of Drop's lines of business except for keyboards. In addition, Corsair already has lines of crappy gaming headsets and better streaming mics (elgato), so Sennheiser may not be interested in a continued partnership. With as much as...
  19. S

Corsair is buying DIY mechanical keyboard [and desktop audio] brand Drop

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/07/corsair-is-buying-diy-mechanical-keyboard-brand-drop/ I'm concerned about Drop's continued existence in the audio business. The press release and all of the articles are focusing on the keyboard side of the business.
  20. S

A SINAD of 80 or SINAD of 100 Can You Really Tell The Difference?

May not be in that presentation, but the author and colleagues published a proposed computed measurement "G" which seemed to be a very accurate predictor based on blind listening. I honestly couldn't fully understand the paper when reading it.
Top Bottom