Search results

1. D

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

Many people say many things. You do you.
  2. D

If I'm using EQ then I slightly prefer the Aeon Noire but I'm quite happy with both. I use Oratory's respective EQ settings with each. Without EQ I prefer the Aeon Noire or Drop HD6XX. I pretty much never listen without EQ though unless I'm traveling. And then I'm using Truth Ear Zero Red or...
  3. D

TANCHJIM One IEM Review

I sold all of my old branded HiFi cables on Ebay. Netted a couple of hundred. Still had my old heavy gauge monster cable speaker wires that I put back into service. Since ASR and Archimago I've sold my McIntosh gear and gone all digital. Much lighter lifestyle. My kids aren't going to want any...
  4. D

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

Aliexpress. Amir, Archimago, and others have proven time and again that cables don't affect audio signals. Sighted A/B testing I don't hear any difference and I'm able to get longer cables at good prices.
  5. D

Rega DAC-R DAC Review

Yes it does tug at sentimentality. I'm a huge fan of McIntosh, Audio Research, Dynaudio, and B&W. Some of my best in-store listening sessions involved some combination of those brands. I always struggled to figure out how I could afford one of those reference set ups. It turns out that I didn't...
  6. D

I us an SMSL D0100 in my main system and basement system and they work great. Measurements I've done at home with Cosmos ADC match Amir's. For headphones I have the Aeon X and the Noire. Noire I use through an RME ADI-2 and the Aeon X through a Drop THX AAA 789. As said in reply above, the DL200...
  7. D

Hifiman Ananda Review (headphone)

I owned a pair for a while and really liked them. If I had to listen without EQ I think I'd prefer the Ananda over the 6XX and the Drop Dan Clark Aeon X. I know that Amir's measurements had some concerns but the tuning was pretty pleasant to me. They are a bit big but I found them really...
  8. D

EAR Yoshino 834L Deluxe Preamp Review

Not at all like that. False equivalencies are novocaine for the brain and tools for the trolls. The job of an amplifier is to turn a low power input signal to a higher power output of that signal. That's the job. You personally may desire deviation but that's a different job. If you're going to...
  9. D

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

I was thinking the same thing. I use EQ with the Noire (Oratory's EQ) through an RME-2 and get plenty of volume for my tastes without tripping the RME to the high-current mode. Yes, I can listen at that higher volume but seems a bit dangerous to my hearing at those levels. I also have the Aeon X...
  10. D

boXem Arthur 4222/E1 Amplifier Review

Terrific graph. Thanks for posting. This explains a bit my experience with electrostatics and tube amps. It seemed that I got a mellower sound with tubes as the rolled off frequency response in your graphs suggest. I could have and would have been better off with PEQ and solid state gear but...
  11. D

I'm wondering if it might be worth some effort to experiment with PEQ to figure out what kind of response curve suits your preferences and then try to find something that is close to that curve. I use PEQ with all of my over-the-ear headphones and agree that the AeonX isn't the best without PEQ...
  12. D

Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed, Aeon 2 Noire and Stealth

Maybe it's time for an upgrade to Aeon Noire? If you had not previously joined the DCA owners club on their website then you should do that. The Aeon X from Drop qualify for that program. You may need to email them directly with the original purchase information. This will give you a discount on...
  13. D

MINIBOSS DAC For PI ZERO Review

Many DAC chips, especially the ESS ones, don't handle full scale digital signals gracefully so backing off just a hair often gets better performance. The folks at RME talked about this when they switched to ESS chips from AKM. Having a max digital volume to the DAC that's a few DBs below full...
  14. D

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Or you could go with powered speakers like the Genelec. If I was starting over today and wanted to maximize performance then I'd probably do that. If my goal was to save money and get great results then I'd find a pair of second hand speakers and an amp like this. That's what I did. I already...
  15. D

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

It's in the video that he posted.
  16. D

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Good for Crinacle to post an EQ to mimic the sound of Red on the Zero. The Red sound is tempting to me but I found myself consistently preferring the sound of the Zero. It's just a bit more exciting. Maybe my 50+ old ears like the little bit of treble boost.
  17. D

SMSL M500 MKII Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Well that's too bad. I really like my MKII unit and haven't had any problems.
  18. D

Atoll DAC200 Signature - Review & Measurements (DAC)

Thanks for the review and measurements. Well done. Just when I'm thinking that DACs are a solved problem you see something like this.
  19. D

SMSL M500 MKII Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I have zero problems with my mkii.
  20. D

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

I have a NC252 from Buckeye too. Really happy with it. I also have the DIY NC400 mono blocks I bought direct from Hypex DIY. I really can't hear a difference between the NC252 and the NC400. When one considers the SNR capabilities of their speakers, noise level of their listening rooms, and...
Top Bottom