Search results

1. J

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

His choice of words. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  2. J

Thank you. As I wrote in the 1988 article I linked to earlier, "We regard it as axiomatic that our primary loyalty is to those who pay money every month to read our opinions. Stereophile's—in fact, any magazine's—underlying responsibility must be to its readers if it is not to become the poodle...
  3. J

Stereophile has always sent manufacturers a preprint of the review ahead of publication so that they can send a comment for publication. Regardless of how the manufacturer reacts to seeing the preprint, the text of the review is not changed. See this article on this subject that I wrote in...
  4. J

Extreme Snake Oil

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/star-date-1997-lessons-past-still-apply-part-2 It's fair to point out that Tom Norton took part both as a proctor and a listener in many single-blind loudspeaker tests for Stereophile in the 1990s. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  5. J

Stereophile's Jim Austin disagrees w Atkinson; says tubes have something that can't be measured

Thank you for posting the link. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  6. J

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

I produced the CD, with Martin Colloms and Tony Faulkner; the garage door recording was by Mike Skeet. I ordered 1000 CDs from Denon at a landed price of 8 pounds sterling each. After the CDs arrived in July 1985 and were being sold by the Hi-Fi News Accessories Club, I got a memo from senior...
  7. J

Infigo Method-3 review by Stereophile

Larry Klein explained at a 1990 AES Conference that this was Stereo Review's policy when he was that magazine's Technical Editor back in the early 1980s. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  8. J

Infigo Method-3 review by Stereophile

Thank you. The mystery is that not just Stereophile's reviewer, but others had auditioned the same samples of the Infigo amplifier that the magazine reviewed and that I measured at audio shows and at a listening event at VPI and no-one heard any problems, I discussed this paradox at the end of...
  9. J

SONCOZ SGP1 Stereo Amplifier Review

I use an inexpensive Mastercool 52224-A-SP infrared thermometer for my amplifier testing - https://www.tequipment.net/Mastercool/52224-A-SP/IR-Thermometers/ As I am only interested in measuring heatsink temperatures, this serves that purpose. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  10. J

What is it with the KEF Blade (meta)?

As always, please include a link to my Stereophile website measurements page in instances like this: https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-blade-two-meta-loudspeaker-measurements John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  11. J

New TAD CE1TX

For consistency in how I have presented loudspeaker impedance graphs over the past 3 decades I meaure with DATS but plot the data with the Audio Precision System One app. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  12. J

Is Amateur Piano Recording This Hard?

Thank you. On the general subject of piano recordings, I have always had a piano technician/tuner on call, to make sure the piano is in optimal condition before each session. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  13. J

Record breaker: Raphaelite CS30-MKII tube amplifier review and measurements

No problem. And as someone else posted today, switching to "desktop theme" on the iPhone works better for anything other than superficial browsing. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  14. J

Record breaker: Raphaelite CS30-MKII tube amplifier review and measurements

That was the original load designed by Ken Kantor. I modified it by adding a Zobel network - a resistor and capacitor in series - across the input terminals so that the load is now moderately demanding but not untypical. See the revised circuit diagram and impedance plot at...
  15. J

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

An article on the making of this album will be posted on the Stereophile website the week starting April 21. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile/co-producer, Molto Molto
  16. J

B&O Beolab 20 Speaker Review

You can find my measurements of the RadioShack speaker that used the Linaeum tweeter at https://www.stereophile.com/content/radioshack-optimus-pro-lx5-loudspeaker-measurements John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  17. J

B&O Beolab 20 Speaker Review

Note that this graph shows the Beolab 90's spatially averaged response at the listening position in "Wide" (blue), "Narrow" (red), and "Omni" (green) modes. It is misleading to say that the response varies by +/-10dB - this is explained in the text. John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
  18. J

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

I do one or the other, depending on the proximity of the room boundaries. A week ago I had to measure the Klipsch La Scala in the writer's room for a review to appear in the April issue of Stereophile. At 201lb the speaker was too heavy for me to lift on to a dolly so it could be rotated, so I...
  19. J

For various reasons, I had to do the quasi-anechoic MLSSA tests of the SourcePoint10 in my listening room, which is smaller than the room where I usually measure speakers. The geometry of the room meant that I had to limit the measurements to ±60° off-axis. John Atkinson Technical Editor...
  20. J

The measurements have just been posted on-line at https://www.stereophile.com/content/mofi-electronics-sourcepoint-10-loudspeaker-measurements John Atkinson Technical Editor, Stereophile
Top Bottom