Search results

1. A

Which order to apply room correction tools?

Be careful of the 10x10. It uses fixed-point DSP and is susceptible to significant low-frequency filter response errors when the filters themselves target the lowest frequencies (like HPFs that cut off at around 10 Hz or PEQs centered around 10 Hz). See the images in this review for measured...
  2. A

Which order to apply room correction tools?

The miniDSP DDRC-88A/BM looks like it does Dirac after bass management, but I don't think it's made anymore. Others more familiar with all the latest developments may be able to give a better answer. I don't have anything against Dirac, it's just that performing it before bass management can...
  3. A

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

This reminds me of a similar mistake I made years ago when MSO was very new. The MSO docs at the time said that USB mics were not usable for gathering MSO measurements. This was correct back then, as REW did not yet have the acoustic timing reference feature. A miniDSP applications guy found...
  4. A

Room modes

A free (slightly earlier) version of this AES paper can be found in the Ph.D thesis of Celestinos (PDF), listed as "Paper D".
  5. A

Room equalization through inverse delayed and attenuated bass signals

Anyone doing this or encouraging others to do so will be instantly put on ignore.
  6. A

YouTube cracks down on ad blockers

There's a pinned thread in the uBlock Origin subreddit that I followed and was able to get rid of the youtube notice about using an ad blocker. It looks like they update the thread regularly. They're pointing all questions about the issue to the pinned thread.
  7. A

Simulation Overview of the 'Double Bass Array' Configuration.

Not sure if you've seen this, but in case you haven't, Celestinos has done some work on this configuration and published it in his Ph.D thesis. He calls the configuration "CABS".
  8. A

All About UFO's

They are fans of The Byrds
  9. A

Stereo Sub Vs Dual Mono

There's a new video with Todd Welti on the Audioholics youtube channel. It covers topics including stereo bass. Its main purpose is to discuss a new Denon and Marantz feature that allows "directional bass", which extends the stereo bass idea to multi-channel. Although they don't mention it...
  10. A

Troubleshooting audio issues in PC

Sorry to be talking to myself here, but just a few hours after posting this, after having troubleshot some intermittent audio glitches for several days, I found what I think is the best online guide on this subject. It is written by Pete Brown, a Microsoft employee and DAW enthusiast with the...
  11. A

Troubleshooting audio issues in PC

There's a couple of guides available on the Focusrite site: here and here. There's also a youtube video that's worth checking out.
  12. A

Multi-Sub Optimizer (MSO): Lessons Learned, Tips & Tricks

That's by design. The tutorial discusses setting the PEQ min and max center frequencies here. What specifically are you trying to accomplish that requires PEQ center frequencies outside the optimization frequency range? This generally isn't a good idea, unless you lock the parameters of the...
  13. A

If you select the "Neglect the MLP target curve" option on the Method page of the Optimization Options dialog, this will prevent MSO from trying to force the MLP response to the target curve. When using this option, MSO only tries to minimize seat-to-seat variation regardless of the target...
  14. A

I'd like to clarify that there is a difference between the "reference level" that you choose to figure out by eyeballing what the maximum boost and cut of the PEQ filters should be, and the reference level that you enter into the optimization options dialog. Once you figure out the maximum PEQ...
  15. A

In theory, this should not happen. In saying that, I'm assuming that you're creating your configuration with the Configuration Wizard, and you're using MSO version 1.1.6 or later. See the release notes for that version. The reference level is established by the shared gain block created by...
  16. A

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

That's a reasonable observation. One aspect of the sub response problem in the modal region that's not widely discussed is the difference between the drywall construction that's typical in the U.S., and hard brick construction that's often found in Europe and elsewhere. This is mentioned...
  17. A

I am not trying to argue that this response shape can be predicted from the radiation of a piston in an infinite baffle into half-space. My question was about the nature of the stimulus used in the simulation itself. So why should I care about "radiation of a piston in an infinite baffle into...
  18. A

I have a question. In Beranek's original book from the '50s, there is an equation (4.17) for the acoustic pressure at a point at a given distance from a rigid piston in an infinite baffle under anechoic conditions. That pressure is proportional to j * omega * u, where u is the velocity...
Top Bottom