Search results

1. B

UMIK-2 First time Room EQ measurements.

Boosting the 100-300 hz region will make the speakers sound "bigger" at the expense of some muddiness in the midrange. REW can find a minimal phase region in there to experiment with some tasteful boosting to find a happy medium. For the bass, my speakers were designed with an "EQ box" that...
  2. B

UMIK-2 First time Room EQ measurements.

Some comments based on spending too many hours on this for my speakers/room, which had a somewhat similar frequency response to yours. 1. I could never get consistent measurements using the MMM method. Averaging fixed measurements around the listening position was the only way I could get...
  3. B

Measurements - what to do next

Any ideas for an absorption panel that does not look ridiculous? Can you cover it with a picture?
  4. B

Thanks! I rechecked the numbers and found a mistake. Here are the true dimensions: The room is 19 x 13 feet with the speakers set up on the long (19 foot) wall. Their outside edges are 70 inches from the side walls. Their backs are 22-24 inches from the back wall - 22 for the outside edge and 24...
  5. B

Thank you for the file. I see that you use multiple high Q filters to get the response- are the "rules" about avoiding steep filters beyond the bass region and staying away from areas of high phase shift just recommendations? Also, you EQ to a flat frequency response - as this is at the...
  6. B

Thanks everyone. Ppataki - I cannot find the right measurements so will have to re-do. If you send me the correction for the left I should be able to easily adapt. You can see the current EQ strategy I chose on that first graph - with sharp reductions around 44 and 62. Will try a broad filter...
  7. B

Moving mic - RTA - periodic pink noise. Left channel (right looks similar). Why such a high Q value of 7 for the filter at 860?
  8. B

Measurements here using RTA / periodic pink noise. These are averages from several positions around each ear using UMIK on a stand - about 100 averages each (measurements were generally similar to one another).
  9. B

Sort of - that 800-1000 hz bump seen in anechoic measurements becomes larger and wider in my room at the listening position. This is easy to take out with EQ. The room naturally smoothes out the treble to give a roughly even 0.8 db/octave decline after 1K. The 80-350 range is the problem. A...
  10. B

Wow - thanks for all of these replies. Rednexala - you have correctly identified the speakers based on only the in-room frequency response- like a DNA fingerprint. Impressive! Ppataki - when you say "force correct the dip between 80 and 400" do you mean adding a wide EQ boost there - would...
  11. B

Hello room acoustics wizards, After some time measuring and working with REW I have managed to get meaningful improvements in the measurements and subjective sound of my two-way speakers- see attached. Space limitations require set up along the long wall of a 22 x 14 foot room, so they are only...
  12. B

Luxman SQ-N150 Review (Tube Amplifier)

That’s exactly right. They also make great high power solid state amps that measure really well and include real tone controls… and phono cartridges and preamps. They know what they are doing and make a wide range of stuff for different set-ups and tastes.
  13. B

Short rise times and no overshoot on square wave, signal to noise of 88 db, and gets to 30W rated power with <1% distortion. SS amps may have more power and somewhat higher signal to noise, but with efficient speakers, a non-cavernous room, and music other than full orchestras I don't think...
  14. B

This is surprising as Luxman gear is not only built well but also typically measures well. Their MQ-88 tube amplifier had great measurements for this design: https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-189-luxman-mq-88use-measurements
  15. B

Musetec Audio (LKS Audio) MH-DA005 Review (DAC)

As someone who does biomedical research for a living I disagree with your premise. The reason that measurements, laboratory tests, and diagnostic studies often fail - and sometimes miraculously - is because current knowledge explains only a sliver of a rumor of the human body. Only hubris...
  16. B

Thank you. I saw that response on the other audio forum, where the designer said he lacked the requisite testing equipment to test the DAC. Crossed that DAC off the list...
  17. B

I know Amir does this for free - so probably has no additional time for more work - but is there any way to distinguish whether some of these poorly measuring products - especially the expensive ones - are caused by design oversights or defective manufacturing? I am surprised by the increasing...
  18. B

Three measurements - same speaker

| Sean Olive explained in Erin's interview of him how speaker resonances in the upper bass/lower mids shows up in blind tests even when the lower resolution measurements (like in-room gated measurements) looked good. This makes sense as EQ to the lower-mids seems - to me - to have the strongest...
  19. B

Three measurements - same speaker

OK - thanks. Many posts in the REW and other forums tout the moving mic method of measurement, which by design includes your body. I thought I could get the two methods to align if I took enough static measurements around the same area, but never could. Am wondering whether the presence of the...
Top Bottom