Search results

1. B

Behringer UMC204 HD Audio Interface Review

@Gershy13 : the RCA outs don't have distortion at full volume and they output 1Vrms as well.
  2. B

Sound Devices MixPre-3 II Multichannel Recorder Review

Thanks for the review! According to the specs, the A-weighted dynamic range for the inputs is 142dB. Is that something you can confirm?
  3. B

Let's develop an ASR inter-sample test procedure for DACs!

I would like to see that, because the more data the better. But, since time is a limited resource, such testing has to be justified. And so far I've seen no evidence of actual music causing audible ISP clipping with typical DACs. If you find something let me know, because I'm curious. A while...
  4. B

Floating-Point ADC System

Yes, you're right. It can't work in real-time. I was focusing on smooth transitions and I forgot about clipping...
  5. B

In principle, you can stitch the two ADC outputs together by simply gating one and inverse-gating (ducking) the other (after compensating for the gain difference). In a DAW, you can do that with something like ReaGate: Increasing the attack and release times helps to smooth out small errors...
  6. B

Which way is up? (Which way does a loudspeaker driver move?)

I don't mean the part about how polarity is defined, but how in most literature: positive voltage = forward movement of the speaker cone = positive pressure change. (A microphone recording is the same, but with the membrane going in the opposite direction.) This is from an AES paper: Isn't...
  7. B

Which way is up? (Which way does a loudspeaker driver move?)

The math and physics here is beyond my knowledge and I'm looking for a dumbed down explanation. I'm mostly wondering whether OP's finding contradicts what's written in some technical literature about microphones and speakers. For example in this PDF:
  8. B

inverting (both) speakers polarity : any audible difference ? any danger for speakers ?

So you don't hear any difference with the samples I posted? Not even with the samples in that other thread, where others have posted blind test results? The difference is subtle, but it's audible to me (yes, with an ABX test too). Thanks, I'm going to read it later. It's actually one of the...
  9. B

inverting (both) speakers polarity : any audible difference ? any danger for speakers ?

I think that microphones and recording techniques are completely irrelevant in the context of audio playback. Because whatever was done with polarity during production, that's the product they were happy with, so that's what needs to be played back. For proper playback, all that matters is that...
  10. B

With some music, inverted phase produces an audible difference. I'm attaching an example. Why do they do that? A microphone recording is pretty much never left untouched during production. All the later stages still shape the sound and there can be phase changes too, if that helps to make a...
  11. B

Neumann KH120 II

This is from Neumann's measurements (data & diagrams): Unless I'm misunderstanding that graph, a 30Hz tone should produce audible distortion, even at moderate levels. At higher levels, it's possible with 60Hz too.
  12. B

It depends. Some strong low end rumble might not mask the noise, after that rumble is removed in post and the recording is amplified/compressed. Same goes for ultrasonic or other unwanted content that gets filtered out later. These are sort of worst case scenarios, but it's nice to have the data...
  13. B

Noise and distortion might not be equally audible at the same level (sometimes there's a big difference). And even if audible, harmonic distortion is not always as undesirable as noise. So it's good to measure them separately. And it could also make sense to use a different test tone here (like...
  14. B

I mean measuring the noise only, without the distortion.
  15. B

Yes, which is why I propose a different/additional noise measurement for such devices (to @amirm or anyone else). A modified Dynamic Range test with a full scale test signal, instead of -60dB. Or a bit less than full scale, if it helps to lower distortion, as long as it ends in the "top ADC"...
  16. B

Crest factor - how detectable is it?

Good job. Yeah, at first I thought it was hard, but after a second listen I figured it out. As to your comment about what the pros' consensus is: You can see from the pop music published in the last 20-30 years that nobody leaves such peaks unmolested anymore and that almost everything is...
  17. B

Crest factor - how detectable is it?

Yeah those two files were not difficult to distinguish, even after matching them with ReplayGain/LUFS (they're almost 1dB apart). If you guys want to try, here's a version with a different clipping method. Let me know if it's as easy to ABX against the original (raw_waveform). (EDIT: It's...
  18. B

32 Bit Float Explained

For what it's worth, regarding gain-ranging, this is from an older ASR thread: We can imagine the DSP outputting 32bit float audio, regardless of what happened before that. It's not really necessary, and in fact the TrueMatch devices don't output float, while others with a similar design (like...
  19. B

32 Bit Float Explained

There is no limitation for data acquisition, it's mainly (but not only) done for user experience, namely: presenting a stronger signal, even above 0dBFS, to the end user. That inevitably requires floating point. And this thread is now at least 3x longer than it needs to be, because we don't...
  20. B

32 Bit Float Explained

There are explanations out there about how this works. Some in user manuals, some in patent documents, for example: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20210336629A1/en It does provide a visual/practical benefit, as I've explained already, also when replying to you. Which is what I said in the...
Top Bottom