Search results

1. B

"No further upgrades needed" desktop setup / Neumann-based?

I probably won't ever be able to afford this (~$3,700 is a lot for a desktop sound system), but in theory, would the following components be compatible and function well as a desktop sound system? 2x Neumann KH 120 II monitors Neumann KH 750 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer (non-AES67 version)...
  2. B

Hypex amplifier plate for passive speaker amp?

I'm looking for a Hypex or Purifi-based amplifier for a center channel speaker. The usual sources all seem backordered or have long lead times for certain components. Hypex appears to have stock at diyclassd for some plate amps. Would I be crazy to grab a FusionAmp FA501 or FA251 and wire it to...
  3. B

Medium/Small Home Theater Center Channel: C208, 8351B, or UC52?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-c208-review-center-speaker.21303/ https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/genelec-8351b-review-studio-monitor.23432/ https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/elac_uc52/ Which would you prefer for a center...
  4. B

Revel F208 delivered with bad tweeter level switch?

I just took delivery of a pair of new Revel F208 speakers today from an online dealer and got the first one unpacked. The tweeter level switch is spinning freely. The boundary switch works as expected. I assume this is not normal behavior. I've reached out to the seller, but has anyone...
  5. B

Subwoofer causing cancellation at 120hz?

I've been poking around with REW trying to figure out some issues I've had with understanding dialogue through various center speakers. It's probably my room or my ears, but I've noticed that my subwoofer also appears to cause cancellation at ~120Hz. Green and blue is with subwoofer and center...
  6. B

Volumio / Tidal / Autoplay/discover new music

I recently acquired a MiniDSP SHD which includes a Volumio streamer. I have it setup and connected to my Tidal account. When playing music via the OSX Tidal app, Tidal will continue to play when the current queue is exhausted,, selecting songs it thinks I'll like from my play history. That...
  7. B

Used Revel C30 with a bad tweeter?

I recently purchased a used Revel C30 center channel speaker. I suspect the tweeter is failing or damaged. Please take a look at this response graph showing a Monolith THX-365C vs the C30. C30 is the green line. Response is very similar up until the C30 tweeter crossover. The tweeter response...
  8. B

Housecleaning: NHT C3 $600 (SOLD)

Everything is now sold. Thanks everyone for your interest and trust. Costs include shipping (in the continental US) and Paypal G&S fees. Shipping from PA. Accepting PayPal, USPS money order, or cash if local. Will only ship to shipping address in the PayPal transaction details. No significant...
  9. B

Adding a trigger to a Hypex amp?

What are some best practices for adding a 12V trigger to a Hypex NC252MP without blowing it up or finding out how good of a speaker dummy load my body makes? My goal is to control it from a Denon AVR that has a 12V trigger out. I don't want to connect it directly to the Power Supply Enable pin...
  10. B

EVAL-2 Ghent Audio case live on website

Just noticed this tonight during a bout of insomnia: https://ghentaudio.com/kit/purifi-eval2-mono.html Only seeing an option for the default banana connectors, but I plan to ask if they're going to provide a Neutrik backplate option unless someone beats me to it. It does seem like a bit of a...
  11. B

Purifi / Triple Eval2 DIY power supply choice?

If one were thinking of assembling a 3-channel Purifi amp out of three EVAL2 units, would a SMPS3KA400 be an appropriate power supply to use instead of wiring up three separate ~600W power supplies? Would it make sense to try to mount the EVAL2's vertically to save width, or would that result...
  12. B

Revel M16 vs M106 recommendations, physical construction / drivers?

I'm looking at whether to consider replacing some Revel M16 speakers with M106. I've seen the reviews here, and some of the discussions, but I haven't seen what goes into the M106 to make it cost so much more than the M16. Is it a beefier construction? Better crossover? Better drivers? All...
  13. B

SMSL M300 Mk II or similar DAC designs in 2.1 scenarios using both XLR and RCA

I have a SMSL M300 Mk II that I'd like to use with two bookshelf speakers (NHT C3) + subwoofer. My preference: SMSL XLR -> Amplifier (EVAL1) -> Bookshelves SMSL RCA -> Subwoofer Should I connect both L and R RCA jacks of the DAC to the sub, or just one channel? This DAC does not have a...
  14. B

Purifi EVAL1 / Pregain, enable or disable?

My assumption is that the answer is "it won't matter, you aren't going to hear a difference either way" but is it best to leave the pregain enabled or disabled on the EVAL1? I can reach acceptable volume levels in either configuration, but even after reading through Amir's reviews I am unclear...
  15. B

Using house curves to compensate for hearing loss

Have any of you attempted to use a house curve in REW to try to partially compensate for hearing loss at higher frequencies with regular speakers (not headphones)? I have a relatively recent hearing test showing loss at higher frequencies. How much of a boost would be safe before you risk...
Top Bottom