Search results

1. W

Suggestion: Measurement rig standardization between reviewers

Given that measurement rigs are much more prevalent, it should make sense that specific units are shipped around so that we can see just how much deviation exists between rigs, instead of claiming one reviewer's measurements are better than another's. For example, some iems sharing between amir...
  2. W

Peace UI new beta - Quick toggle of channel EQ

Peace UI's designer, Peter Verbeek, has been amazingly responsive to requests from users. I've posted a request to allow quick toggling of the various channels so that we can quickly A/B the eq'ed results. And he's done so in like a week...
  3. W

How vocals are EQ after recording

Goes straight to the point on the hows and whys of equalizing male and female vocals after the recording process. It's amazing to understand how the frequency response is being manipulated to reach a certain auditory ideal, and to probably compensate for the recording equipment and the room...
  4. W

Scandyna Blue room Minipod Speaker (in-room) measurements... I'm confused...

Are they meant to sound this way? Like the measurements below, they are pretty dull on the high end. Do the measurements look like they're broken in any way? If they're not (both speakers measure similarly), what could the consideration be for such a sonic design? I've no idea what generation...
  5. W

Measurements to show an amplifier's 'lack of juice' for specific speakers?

Upon reading Amir's recent review of LS50 meta and its ~3 ohm impedance, this question popped up in my mind again. Can an amp's lack of juice to drive a speaker show up in sonic measurements? Do transient peaks get affected? Or do they manifest as overheating in the amp, or shutting down? Way...
  6. W

How do speakers make sound (animated explainer)

Very nice overview and animation of the speaker driver mechanics, even talks about how / why 2 different instruments can play the same note but sound different.
  7. W

Amplifier's rising measured distortion (SMSL vs Yamaha), should I be concerned?

Had the SA300 for some time, and just thought I'll do some quick measurements between it and the Yamaha A-S500. Found an interesting difference. Before that difference, you can see the measured frequency responses for both amps below (Download REW measurements here). I've kept the Xonar U7 dac...
  8. W

Speaker rubber surround maintenance?

Like caring for leather, is there anything we can do to prolong the hardworking rubber surround material? Or there's no need to bother?
  9. W

Human vs speaker tests, conducted in same location?

Yes I understand it's been frowned upon to imply that audio quality is 'only' about human vocals, but still, I'm curious whether has there been any recent tests conducted to compare an actual human singer, to a speaker reproducing the vocals of the same human, in a controlled environment? Can...
  10. W

Page listed as 'insecure'

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/vanatoo-transparent-zero-speaker-review.13717/page-9 Just curious that this particular page is listed as 'insecure' by chrome. Might not be anything serious, just thought I'll bring it up.
  11. W

Subwoofer & Room acoustics - Day vs Night variance

I noticed that my previously equalized subwoofer (equalized in daytime) had some squiggles in the frequency response at night. So I made more measurements to compare. It would appear that my room ambient noise has a slightly different profile in the day vs at night. In both instances my room...
  12. W

Last of Us II - game audio breakdown

So much breathing, I felt like I've exercised by the end of the video... the violin tuning / bow draw was cool... https://www.engadget.com/the-last-of-us-part-ii-sound-breakdown-175847688.html
  13. W

Wider soundstage for small rooms - fire your speakers backwards!

Thanks to all the great content here and elsewhere, I'm gaining a better understanding how rooms affect sound (and how speakers are NOT MAGICAL :eek:). And with the realization that reflected sound has such a big role (along with all the literature debating its absorption / diffusion etc), I was...
  14. W

Cable signal failure demo

Like how this simple 'boring' demonstration shows the point of (signal) failure in cables. At least for someone like me who's not in this field. I'm curious though how 192kHz helps audio recording.
  15. W

Tweeter size as factor in speaker buying? System power response at crossover point?

Came across this post: http://www.zaphaudio.com/offaxis.html I understood the comment about the top octave response being less important than imagined, but not quite understanding what 'system power response at crossover point' really means. Does it mean 3/4" tweeters are more likely to...
  16. W

High current amplifiers?

It's not the same as considering the rated power output of amplifiers? Does that impact the choice of speakers?
  17. W

Audio 'Artifacts' in Phantom of the Opera musical, recording or my ears?

When Ramin's singing 'the power of the music' at the 40:12 mark (Phantom of the Opera streaming free until end of the day), there're some slight audio artifacts. Just curious whether it's a result of the recording, youtube's encoding, or my ears.
  18. W

Jürgen Ackermann's tube vs solid state thesis - anyone read it?

This was apparently used to promote iFi audio's iTube (not anymore): It was referenced in Stereophile and a couple other places: https://www.stereophile.com/content/god-nuances-page-4 https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/iTubeTechpaper1_Tubes.pdf I couldn't find the research, has...
Top Bottom