Search results

1. mcdonalk

ML333 Remote Control

I have a Mark Levinson 333 power amplifier. The specification for the remote interface is for an input pulse of positive 3-12DCV for a minimum of 100ms to toggle the unit between active and standby states. An input pulse of much longer duration powers down the amplifier entirely. This has...
  2. mcdonalk

Should I clean new vinyl?

For the first time in over 40 years, I have bought three new vinyl pressings (because the music was only alternately available as mp3 downloads). Do I need to clean this new vinyl before listening to them? I never used to clean new vinyl in the old days. thanks
  3. mcdonalk

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

The efficacy of using the AHB2 in mono mode driving a speaker with a 4ohm impedance was not clear to me from this review. The review briefly discussed this configuration and the low distortion associated with it, and continued to note that the speaker protection switched in and shut the output...
  4. mcdonalk

What is it about McIntosh?

Benefits of an autoformer aside, it appears McIntosh is not for me. I was in a local dealer a few months ago and asked about an MC462. They did not have one on on display, would not make any arrangement for me to hear one before purchasing, and they did not support a home audition period. The...
  5. mcdonalk

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition - For those considering BACCH

"This" is how I find things discussed throughout this forum more than any other audio forum that I visit.
  6. mcdonalk

Do I need to clean my LP's?

Recently, when announcing to a relative my intent to use a recently-purchased Spin-Clean Record Washer on some LP's, of which I am the original owner and which have not been played in decades, her reply was, “If you’ve always handled them correctly, and stored them in their sleeves, why do you...
  7. mcdonalk

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition - For those considering BACCH

Cursory research has indicated that Bacch might not be good for me. When I first heard about this a few days ago, I quickly became very interested. Furthermore, when initial investigation revealed that a trusted audio professional with whom I had successfully done business before was the...
  8. mcdonalk

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

This is a recent picture of our Beogram 4002 which we bought new in the mid '70's: Several months ago, it was restored by Soundsmith (www.sound-smith.com) to a like-new condition. (Soundsmith manufacturers the cartridges for the current Beogram 4000c). Soundsmith did a wonderful job, and it...
  9. mcdonalk

ABX vs. ESP

A little over 20 years ago, a colleague and I endeavored to test the effect of CD Stoplight (green paint marker) on the audibility of CD playback. Identical CD's, one treated with CD Stoplight and one without, were used. My colleague would stand in front of the CD transport, blocking my view...
  10. mcdonalk

Listening at Night vs. Day

Some audio enthusiasts say that their systems sound better at night than during the day. My stereo system sounds better during the day than it does at night. I almost exclusively listen to my system at night. On occasion when I have listened to it during the day, I thought that it seemed to...
  11. mcdonalk

Bryston BDA-3 & Chord Hugo 2 TT

I was negligent in updating my situation. I have replaced the D90 some time ago with an Exasound E32 MkII. Not only does the E32 recover much of the depth that had been lost with the BDP-105d and the D90, but the E32 always works. In my system, the D90 had an annoying habit of often (if not...
  12. mcdonalk

Why not review some Hegel amps?

Any review of an amp (or any audio product, for that matter) should address, not only its audio quality, but its functionality. How well does it work? I bought an H390 but regretfully had to return it within the audition period, because of audible transient sounds ("pops") when starting playing...
  13. mcdonalk

feed forward distortion cancellation

With the apparent critical and financial success of class A/B amplifiers from Benchmark and Hegel which employ feed forward distortion cancellation features, why do not more amplifier manufacturers follow suit? Is it because of patent royalties?
  14. mcdonalk

The audiophile mindset

The proverbial audiophile really takes a verbal beating on this forum. In my local audio club, I am among the most technically astute, having had a lengthy electronics design career. I have often lamented the situation of my club members, many of whom have no technical knowledge whatsoever, or...
  15. mcdonalk

Electrostatic speakers?

I have had a pair of Janszen Valenina P8's for over a year, like them a lot, and have no desire to change. I feel that the information about them on the Janszen Audio web page accurately describes this speaker. What I cannot verify by measurement, my observations have given me no reason to...
  16. mcdonalk

The Vinyl Frontier

I was going to add my own satirical diatribe about the obsolescence of vinyl, but I decided against it. For all of its benefits, too much of this forum seems to exist just to ridicule other audio enthusiasts. I decided not to add my contribution to rhetoric that I find of no benefit.
  17. mcdonalk

Any downsides to coaxial design?

For completeness, the Hsu Research CCB-8 speaker is also a coaxial implementation. I have a pair of them, and I like them: https://hsuresearch.com/products/ccb-8.html
  18. mcdonalk

Anthem STR & 1% THD

I am very intrigued by the STR Integrated Amplifier (mostly due to ARC) and even was close to purchasing, but I am given pause by the power amplifier output THD specification. Power for the full audio bandwidth is rated at 1% THD. I haven't seen a THD specification this high in decades (except...
  19. mcdonalk

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

How to deal with them? Why, make fun of them with snide condescending comments and call them names! I find that calling them "audiophools" is particularly effective in making them see the light.
  20. mcdonalk

The price of AKM-based DAC's is likely to increase

The AKM factory has burned down: https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/akm-factory-fire-shakes-up-pro-audio-industry
Top Bottom