Search results

1. S

AKM factory fire

A three day for at AKM's Nobeoka factory means a six month plus shutdown, and a lack of DAC chips in the medium term. I can't find if they're were any casualties in the fire, I sincerely hope not. There's a distinct possiblity of AKM outsourcing some production capability, but there's no doubt...
  2. S

KEF's New Tech is Real

That was very cool, I enjoyed both videos very much.
  3. S

Triangle Borea BR03 pairing

I've moved on from Triangle now, but my EWA Claymore integrated was just perfect with my Antal.
  4. S

Floor standing loudspeakers for 500 sq ft room

Hi Ed I'm on the south coast, and have heard quite a few B&W. I've not heard much at all in more recent ranges to really like. Revel are hard to access over here, but I took a punt on some F-208 from Elite Audio and am very pleased indeed. Given your budget, I'd be looking at something from the...
  5. S

D90 mqa vs M400, which one should I use?

I can't help with your decision, but I've had the M-400 for several months now. It has been flawless in operation with zero glitches, the form factor and ergonomics are really nice (plastic knob but I use remote anyway). I like the tempered glass top, the whole thing has a quality feel...
  6. S

I like a tube amplifier!!

I love my EWA solid state class A amplifiers, but I rather like this 'tube amplifier'... a great physics demonstration that's also fun (and rather good!)
  7. S

Cognitive bias regarding names/marketing of dac chips

SMSL is always exciting, especially in black. Sound to dominate you.
  8. S

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

I absolutely love the sound of M-400 in my system, I confess I hear no issues with it. The Bluetooth is proving to be a nice addition that I am appreciating more than I thought I would. It really sounds tremendous all round. However, I do wish SMSL had implemented the RCA output without such...
  9. S

Cognitive bias regarding names/marketing of dac chips

Does it explain why Schitt get a hard time..? No, don't go there.
  10. S

Which Speaker Cables? A non life threatening question.

Some good suggestions above, great idea: grey nylon braided tube of an appropriate size, secured with heatshrink. Wrap the braid with tin foil when heating the heatshrink to avoid it melting.
  11. S

SMSL M500 vs Topping DX7 Pro

I have owned the M-500 by SMSL and it is a fine sounding device (and it's measured specs speak for themself). Now it has been in production around seven months, the issues with it are mostly solved by the manufacturer. I believe it is a very fine DAC for the money. I have no issue with the...
  12. S

JBL 305 MkII paired with a NAIM Nait 5i

The Naim Nait 5i is a 50W per channel integrated amplifier without a pre-output IIRC. Feeding the input of active monitors with this is going to cook something, unless I've mistaken the situation? (Sorry if I have!) Naim amps aren't unconditionally stable, so the amplifier could have blown...
  13. S

Philharmonic BMR Speaker Review

Thank you, @hardisj for an epic investigation and review, the Philharmonic BMR is such a fascinating design. I first read about it on a US hifi forum several years ago and I have been prevaricating about it for several years. It is harder to build or buy some US kit from the UK - similar problem...
  14. S

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

@SMSL-Mandy , @SMSL_Liu Can I ask for a comment on the less perfect RCA output measurements on the M-400? Will it be possible to return/swap the DAC to obtain a fix? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m400-balanced-usb-mqa-dac-review.13732/post-457715...
  15. S

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

M-400 is fine with my oneplus-6. I'm very partly surprised at how good Bluetooth is for casual listening. Next I will see if the DAC can have two phones linked by Bluetooth, and which one will connect when both phones are in the room.
  16. S

Which anechoic response curve predicts the preferred loudspeaker? (fun exercise)

As has been noted, there's limited information available here. I suspect it is a very good loudspeaker, but the listening window in the midrange isn't so well behaved, and I don't like the look of the bass peak. I don't want to infer too much, if it is a stand mount compared to a floor standing...
  17. S

Which anechoic response curve predicts the preferred loudspeaker? (fun exercise)

B wins over A for me, having recently spent time looking at such charts and choosing new Loudspeakers. B has better directional control, a nice wide dispersion which is what I wanted in my family room. I also prefer the look of the bass roll off, assuming the hump is the typical Stereophile...
  18. S

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

I'll stick my head out, for which I may get a kicking on a technical forum where I'm unqualified to post, to address the question about hearing the roll off. It seems that the roll of starts around 5KHz and is approximately -4db by 20KHz. That's not drastic, if I understand correctly (though...
  19. S

Revel M105 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Are you sure? Elite audio have a couple of pairs of F-208 left @ £3k. I went for them as a left field choice over KEF and am delighted. An exception that proves the rule, perhaps..
  20. S

Exasound E32 DAC Review and Measurements

You know what? I have next to no technical experience with electronics, so my opinion is worth about the same as Don's. However, a technical review such as this focuses on design decisions and engineering competency, as seen in the measurements. People may decide to arbitrarily advocate or...
Top Bottom