Search results

1. B

The new Schiit Kara seems much better than Freya S, any info on it?

I have done sighted comparisons between my new kara and the a90 discrete through balanced input. node 2i into modius, modius balanced into the 2 pre amps. Volume leveled by cell phone using a tone from a chesky test album. Impressions of these two preamps were similar to when I compared to...
  2. B

F/S: ATI 5000nc 2 channel and Topping a90 discrete WNY/PA/Southern Ontario $2000

And if they sell here I will donate $100 to ASR! Maybe that should be a policy. One or 2 percent of sales get skimmed for Amir and this great enterprise.
  3. B

The new Schiit Kara seems much better than Freya S, any info on it?

Mine just arrived. Havent had freya for a year. Will compare to a90d in an almost scientific blind test once in rack and I have my sons assistance and ears
  4. B

F/S: ATI 5000nc 2 channel and Topping a90 discrete WNY/PA/Southern Ontario $2000

ATI is the 500x2 into 8ohm monster. I have owned since new(4 years) and is in like new condition. Have all boxes Topping is 1 year old and is in like new condition. maybe slight scuff on top because phono stage was there, but dont think so. I have ads on craigslist rochester,ny. Will not ship...
  5. B

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Whoops, forgot to post the next comparison; a blind listening test on my son. On two occasions, 2 and 4 days after the original comparison I put a pillow case over the two preamps before my son even arrived. I told him to try and identify which pre I played first based on memory and his notes...
  6. B

I finally got around to comparing the A90 D and my schiit freya s. This was as pre amp only, not HP amp though. Listening was not blind, but observations were kept private until end. I level matched(72 db) using a chesky test tone and cell phone app. then used a cd quality chesky recording...
  7. B

I just took delivery of an A90D. It is my first topping product. I am using it as a preamp. Seems to function as intended so far. Its had music going through it for 24 hours. No problems. I have a schiit freya s it might replace. I like the volume display. The clicks are almost silent...
  8. B

Naim Uniti Atom vs NAD M10

I think I just proved myself wrong. Are external references ok? Delete if needed. But hi fi news did publish tests for last naim amp I owned. https://www.hifinews.com/content/naim-nait-xs-3-integrated-amplifier-lab-report
  9. B

I hereby stand corrected. My naim unitiqute2, at more or less the same dB subjectively seemed to have more mid and bass than the mac 6500 or my ati ncore amp that I compared it to. That happened to align with other subjective opinions mentioned. It was a summary of informal observations, not...
  10. B

My unitiqute2 always sounded fuller than my mac integrated at a fraction of the watts at equal dBs as determined by my phone app.. We have to be honest with ourselves though. Naim are not neutral amps. If you believe reviews new hp atom is more neutral, and theyve even gone balanced. That...
  11. B

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Does this gustard have discrete output devices or ICs or op amps? I know I have heard people debate the use of discrete devices by gustard, where topping uses op amps. The point has been made that it is tough to get top notch measurements with discrete devices. Is that the case for this dac...
  12. B

Schiit Freya For Sale 480 firm....WNY Only

This has been sitting in its box since I offered it for sale several months ago. Like new, except two faint marks on remote. Manufactured after the initial review here. Local sale only. Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse or whoever wants to drive to 14612.
  13. B

Jensen ISO-Max CI-1RR Review (Isolation Transformer)

I use a Humdinger by AudioVanAlstine. It did kill the buzz. Pun not intended. I will crack it open later and take a pic to share.
  14. B

Naim Uniti Atom vs Cambridge Evo

I had my xs-2 fail twice. I did not possess it for 5 out of the first 18 months I owned it. Reed relays and something in the output section. The distributor was difficult to work with. When I went above customer service and talked to some of the "brass" the customer service got worse. The...
  15. B

Naim Uniti Atom vs Cambridge Evo

Look for a used unitiqute 2 with an FM tuner. I owned one and regret selling it to this day. I now use ncore . It will not objectively compare well to other things, but It will put a ton of music at your convenience and has a pleasing, but decidedly not neutral sound. It helps to have...
  16. B

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

This is how I introduce the difference between causation and correlation! I use a similar example with my Algebra 9 students when doing basic stats. Ice cream makes people kill. When sales of ice cream increase, so do murder and violent crime in a given area. One does not cause the other...
  17. B

Wanted: Schiit Freya S

OK, I will post a few more pictures for you as well. I am the same handle on audiogon with 100% positive, but only two transactions.
  18. B

KEF R3 vs R5

Are you saying having 2 5.25 inch woofers is the same as a 7 inch woofer? Not to be ignorant, but is there a specific ratio or formula you use to make the comparison of multiple small woofers to one larger?
Top Bottom