Search results

1. B

Abyss Diana V2 Review (headphone)

It already a scam, 5 planar/estats all have worse THD than a grado & can't reproduce 4KHz without bottoming out. The HD6XX/ER2XR sound better for under $300. The IEM market worse with DIY start up companies just selling rehelled CIEM's with the same 5 drivers that westone & JH Audio use?.
  2. B

Any good starter near field speakers for £299?

Thinking on trying out speakers since I can use my parents room, as extra room. Wanting near field's since I'm not going to be blasting the room with music. Is there any that are single driver since i might add a woofer to that will also be used on my headphones since there music i have that...
  3. B

Electrostatic speakers?

Dynamic drivers are still better in many ways. The electrostatic sound seems really overhyped when the resting issue on DD's is gone on newer headphones/Speakers. The sweet spot on Dynamic speakers seems to be 2 way or full range with a woofer crossed at 90Hz. The bass on the non dynamic's sound...
  4. B

I don't get high electrostatic/planar headphones?

BA drivers can have great impact it, BA woofers use less stiff drivers but robust to deforming or in the Etymotic ER4S case just do a +8db low shelf at 80Hz to make the driver flex more.
  5. B

Brexit- beware!

This is why I'm avoiding EU sites since Scotland getting ready for another indie ref as there way of getting back in the EU. They never tell you the actual price unless you force them, I had pay off a fine on my card because US seller never told there would be any fees.
  6. B

Common dynamic drivers can't do heavy bass at loud volumes without deforming the centre area from not resting fast enough. BA, IEM dynamic drivers(5 ~ 9mm), planar, electrostatic don't suffer from this. It why the HD650 reaches 5 ~ 10% at 85 ~ 100db or with +8db bass boost.
  7. B

Superlux HD668B Review (headphone)

The MH755 was a $300 IEM that had no QC done to it, it show's more if you EQ it to DF neutral target(Etymotic 4XR). Yet the Superlux seem to do very well despite the drivers seem quite weak like high THD with bass roll off. It only takes $70 to make a Etymotic ER4S, the rest is high QC and a...
  8. B

Superlux HD668B Review (headphone)

These are not new headphones, i really expect it takes £15 total for all parts to build them. The Sony MH755 costs only £5 yet with EQ can match most $200 IEM's.
  9. B

Who cares about <0.2% THD when it costs $1200 and needs heavy EQ sound fine?. The Stax L300ltd & others all have -16db roll off starting at 70Hz, The LCDX needs EQ just to sound great since it sound wrong stock. But it always weird when they praise the bass but then get offended when balanced...
  10. B

HEDD HEDDPhone Review (headphone)

Blame audiophiles pushing the more money = better argument. The HD800 driver is on par with the HD650 with a horrid 6k spike, the LCD have weird FR that needs EQ, Stax's need mods/hard EQ to fix there -15db bass roll off. And most of them have the THD/FR oddness i expect from Grado, are they...
  11. B

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

320Kbps is overkill when with LAME, it should sound transparent at 175(V3) ~ 256(V0) depending on person/gear and how complex the music is. But with AAC/Vorbis at 320k should be fine on even wider content since it artifact less than MP3 on harder samples(pre echo/fast attacks), can be...
  12. B

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Got a DT 770 pro for £105, Stock fine at a lower volume. But with EQ it outperforms the SRH1540 i had & 95% close to my ER4SR. Not a fan of how easy driver flex is on Dynamic headphones, It weird how balanced armatures are very robust to this.
  13. B

Fiio E10K ground noise?

Is there any way to fix this?, In a cheap manner.
  14. B

Does lossless really matter?

MP3 has pre echo issues where 4 albums i tested sound bad even at 320kbps. Yet when i tried 160k Vorbis it was transparent & some albums sounded iffy on V2 and V0 was only slight gains. I have zero idea how the FHG group green light MP3 when it got outperformed by MP2 let alone AAC/Vorbis. I...
  15. B

Apple AAC is just okay, There too many samples that break it and don't sound transparent even at 320k CVBR. It why I would stick with Spotify in 320kbps mode since it pretty much perceptually lossless to my ears, Where still a long way from 1+ TB sd cards being only $35.99 and audiophile hyping...
  16. B

Vorbis these days is pretty much transparent at 160kbps 99.9% of the time, 256kbps is over kill. I only use 320k Vorbis when a song craps the bed which pretty rare beyond the odd Noise album like Merzbow. Can't stand AAC/MP3 since i get either horrid ringing and pre echo, Vorbis fail sound is...
  17. B

What lossy codec do you use

Moved to Opus 1.3, 96 ~ 140kbps sounds better than AAC/Vorbis/Lame do at 256kbps. holy crap it weird having noise/dark ambient/electronic be transparent and HA's hard samples too at 96kbps.
  18. B

Kinda beating a dead horse but... (non blind level-matched DAC comparison)

There is a thread a I read where it them contradicting there views to go how were invalid. The whole subjective shift there is so dumb when they spent weeks crying about the SRH 1840 or any high end Grado's THD, Now it just a dump that spews the same crap that they bashed Head fi for?.
  19. B

Tidal vs. Deezer vs. Qobuz vs. Spotify vs. Apple Music

Hydrogenaudio says 160k AAC = 192K mp3. The issues i get with AAC/Vorbis i need higher than 320k to fix some samples. When MP3 groans at V0/320 i can ignore it as mild distortion. Vorbis can be 5x worse than AAC on Noisy samples like prurient/Rita/Merzbow where i get puffy sound that only goes...
  20. B

Tidal vs. Deezer vs. Qobuz vs. Spotify vs. Apple Music

I only use V0 on tracks that need the extra bit rate, Stuff that fails at V0/320 i just use 205kbps(Q6) Musepack.
Top Bottom