Search results

1. Jimshoe

Creating bass weight and impact?

I was recently at a live concert in a large venue and, as I often do in this situation, noticed the weight and impact of the bass notes. They hit with a physical energy you can feel and which makes live music so exciting. Note I'm not saying the notes are super low, just powerful My home...
  2. Jimshoe

Absolutely incredible, exhaustive and insightful microphone comparison

An amazing examination of where 'tone' comes from in microphones by a Youtuber musician who is delightfully crazy. Amazing! Doug
  3. Jimshoe

Linus de-bunks an 'audiophile' ethernet

Great de-bunking of audiophile ethernet switch - with some bling testing (after a fashion)
  4. Jimshoe

Understand Early reflections in Genelec GRADE report

I'm slowly getting to grips with understanding more about room acoustics. I'm conscious that this is a tricky subject so seeking input of smarter minds . . . I'm using Genelec 8361's in a fairly small room (4.5m x 3.2m x 2.3m) and (unsuprisingly) am aware that I have an issue with early...
  5. Jimshoe

FS: MiniDSP SHD for sale

For sale my MiniDSP SHD. Immaculate and unmarked, like new, (18 months old) in original packaging with accessories. I've sidegraded to a MinidDSP Studio (as I wanted AES/EBU output) and did not need analogue. Note UMIK mic is not included - I'm still using this with my Studio! Happy to post...
  6. Jimshoe

Wow! Genelec GRADE looks amazingly useful

Now included in GLM 4.2 (released today) Genelec GRADE looks impressive. Video here Doug
  7. Jimshoe

Looking into the future . . .

I was wandering around the "The Vintage Knob" and was struck how things change . . . A pre-amp in 1978 looked like this But, by the 90's, pre-amps looked like this What do people think we can expect in the 2030's? Doug
  8. Jimshoe

Understanding the Genelec Ones design

There has been much discussion here (and elsewhere!) about the Genelec ones. They are extraordinary - indeed, I've just ordered a pair! Looking at them I can understand the logic and benefits for the coaxial mid and tweeter but what is the rationale for tucking the woofers behind the front...
  9. Jimshoe

SOLD!!!: MiniDSP DDRC22D (United Kingdom):SOLD!!!

In original packing with all accessories (including mic stand and rack mount ears). I'm the original owner from new and am selling as have moved to an SHD. Unit is in perfect condition except for a small scratch by the 'Optical' LED on face plate - see pics. Note, a UMIK microphone and remote...
  10. Jimshoe

Scratching my head - getting Apple music to HiFi

I have a MiniDSP SHD and mainly use Roon. My partner has a Spotify account which we can also play through the SHD using the Spotify client, all great! He has however now decided he wants to use Apple music and, as far as I can tell, the only way to play Apple music through a HiFi is either by...
  11. Jimshoe

Good closed back headphone?

Eeh Gods! There are a lot of headphones out there. I have a pair of HD650s that I am using with a Topping DX7 Pro. No complaints with this setup at all. But, my other half complains about the noise and, I sometimes want to be 'shut in' with the music and block extraneous sounds. I'm looking...
  12. Jimshoe

Final loudspeaker!

Hi Currently using ATC SCM25a, and an SVS SB13 Ultra sub, both fed by a Minidisc SHD in a 3m x 4m x 2.3m room Whilst I like the ATCs (I'm 100% sold on active three-ways) I would ideally like not to have a sub at all and, from reading here, realise ATC's may not be quite as good as I thought...
  13. Jimshoe

REW Loopback timing with a USB mic?

Sorry for what may be a stupid question (I have searched but am getting nowhere - except confused!) I understand that REW is able to measure timing differences between speakers (e.g sub and mains) but to do this needs a 'timing reference'. My understanding is in the 'old days' when a measuring...
  14. Jimshoe

Loudspeaker Stands

Is there a consensus here on speaker stands? In the 80's/90's I absorbed all the rhetoric about how speaker stands were an integral part of a hi-fi system and saw the arrival (and success of £££££ stands). Nowadays I'm more circumspect and feel a stand that gets the tweeter to the right height...
  15. Jimshoe

Sub and Mains to larger full-range speaker

First off – thanks for a fantastic site. After 35 years of having audio as a hobby it’s great to have found a forum that unites logic, science and evidence to music reproduction. My journey has been from a Linn LP12 and stacks of Naim boxes to a Roon based system with a MiniDSP SHD feeding...
  16. Jimshoe

FS: Benchmark DAC2L

Consolidating my system and decluttering (moved to MiniDSP SHD) so time to let this go . . . Absolutely mint and working gloriously! The only signs of wear are on the underside of the remote (see pic) otherwise as new. Supplied in original box with all cables and manual. Based London and can...
  17. Jimshoe

Technology in megabuck DACs

I've been reading a thread on PFM about choosing between two straospherically expensive DACs (DCS Bartok and MSB Premier). I've never heard DACs in this price range (and must admit to being curious) but, despite a look on their respective websites, I can't see anything beyond tactile and...
Top Bottom