Search results

1. Jimshoe

Streamer connection on Genelec 8361

I'd say GLM is essential with the 8361s. It just makes them 'work'. In my room if I switch off the correction the bass is boomy and all over the place. The response post correction is pretty 'thin' and I do apply quite a substantial bass lift in Roon to compensate but the result sounds...
  2. Jimshoe

My path looks like this: Yes, digital volume control MAY be less than perfect, but I've tried both and could not hear a difference. FWIW I have it set such that the digital volume is at virtually 100% for normal playback (so I'm guessing any 'loss' is minimal) Doug
  3. Jimshoe

SHD Studio is fixed or variable. I use the variable option, makes it easy to control in Roon. The Genelec 9101 B looks handy though. I don't have one of those.
  4. Jimshoe

Yes, either via the remote or within Roon.
  5. Jimshoe

I have an SHD Studio into 8361s - it all just works beautifully.
  6. Jimshoe

DSOTM Solar Eclipse

I'll take Klaus over Pink Floyd anytime. A true iconoclast lost far too soon . .
  7. Jimshoe

The Waxwing Thread

Just ordered mine (in UK) due to arrive Monday. Doug
  8. Jimshoe

Digital Music Players

I have a Sony NW-ZX300. Lovely build (single piece of aluminium, great connectors etc) but nothing special at all in terms of audio quality. I use it occasionally on flights etc but the quality of iPhones etc means they are just a fad to me. Save your money.
  9. Jimshoe

Rose Audio RA180 Integrated

Looks like a most nakedly 'designed by the marketing team' piece of nonsense.
  10. Jimshoe

A Call For Humor!

Ha Ha, I go past this all the time!
  11. Jimshoe

Creating bass weight and impact?

Exactly. It's not about it being hugely deep bass or even super loud (although it usually is) but the hard impactfulness of it. It HITS you, it feels like it could break something! I suspect (thanks to much on this thread) that it is a combination of the sound not being compressed (as it is...
  12. Jimshoe

Thank you - really nformative!
  13. Jimshoe

A Call For Humor!

Christ on a bike!
  14. Jimshoe

Hmmm, I don't think it's that simple. I think Mattt (post 26) hit the nail on the head. It's possible also to do with how live music vs recorded is mixed - in that the engineer can really boost certain frequencies to create an audience pleasing 'impact' that would be too much on a recording
  15. Jimshoe

Sorry, it has drifted a bit! What I am trying to do is understand how the hard impactful bass of live events is created. Is it EQ'ing, just pure SPL or something else? I've never heard any domestic system really able to do it. I guess my hope would be by understanding what's happening I...
  16. Jimshoe

The bass was certainly not subterreanan - rolled off quite quickly in fact.
  17. Jimshoe

I think I said earlier there was a line of subwoofers in front of the stage
  18. Jimshoe

Yes, ultimately I'm not seriously trying to reproduce concert sound, but it's something I always notice with live music that I'd like to understand better.
  19. Jimshoe

Yes, easy to do. It will be interesting to see where the boost/SPL sweet spot lies. I don't want crazy loud all the time
  20. Jimshoe

Hmm, tomorrow (when my neighbours are out) I'll ramp up 80Hz and open the throttle and see what happens. My 8361's will go scary loud if pushed
Top Bottom