Search results

1. M

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

I use the miniDSP with complex set of inputs and outputs - analog in for my turntable, digital in for a streamer that is a bit easier than the built in one. I also have outputs to a DAC which I like better than the one in the miniDSP (although it is a fine DAC). I use it with mains and 2 subs...
  2. M

Linkwitz LX521.4 - new build and impressions

I agree with this take - I have the LX521.4 and in my room the dipole bass starts to struggle below 50Hz. I have them crossed over to subs (Rythmik F15HP) there so that I do not burn out the coils. I could push a little lower, but no reason. As for the sound of Genelec vs LX521.4 baffles -...
  3. M

I don't have the specifics, but let me ask Dr. Brenner. I don't want to speculate.
  4. M

One critique I know is that Erin did not exactly follow the build directions on his LX mini - Dr. Frank Brenner who is the Linkwitz proprietor (and with whom I have spoken about it) tried to contact Erin on his observations on that video and Erin did not seem interested in taking the feedback...
  5. M

I agree that it does sound better. I think it is clearly lower distortion as the numbers back up. The qualitative sound is cleaner, and voices are better delineated.
  6. M

Subjectively, I find them great with all types of music. I feel the way they project sound is very convincing. When I listen to electronic music, I add in 2 subs that give the visceral impact that the LX521.4 lack at the very lowest octave. I also find they are easy to correct with REW - I get...
  7. M

I have an ASP.4 and decided to get an ASP v2.0. I think they are very similar in sound - I like the balanced output from the ASPv2.0 and have been able to use a very short run of BlueJeans cables between the ASPv2.0 and my ATI AT528NC amp. I have not heard the miniDSP implementation, so I...
  8. M

As a Linkwitz LX521.4 owner, I don't disagree that the dipole sub tails off around 30Hz. There is very little musical info there and for many people, the speaker will suffice. Sigfried was aware, however, and designed a monopole subwoofer called the Thor for folks who wanted the last octave. I...
  9. M

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

I just wanted to share my recent experience. After watching the AudiophileJunky on YouTube, I got turned onto the miniDSP-SHD to be my music only processor. I had been using an Anthem AVM60 for both music and video. The Anthem setup used a miniDSP 2x4-HD for dual Rythmik subs. I moved the...
  10. M

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

Followed AudioJunkie's initial setup on Dirac and it is a really good system. I have my expensive phono stage on the analog side (Herron VTPH-2A) and it is just super transparent. I think most people worry about the wrong things - the ADC is quieter than the phono and the benefit of Dirac on...
  11. M

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

Late to see this, but I have the exact same setup. My subs are dual Rythmik F15HP. Wondering what you chose and whether you are still liking this setup.
  12. M

Calling all Linkwitz LX 521.4 owners in Southern California (CA at large, too)...

Just a follow up that I had @bugg_nn_out over for a listen with my system. He brought some rare vinyl with a wide variety of music on it. Some dance, some club, old ska, country. Hoping he posts his own impressions.
  13. M

Calling all Linkwitz LX 521.4 owners in Southern California (CA at large, too)...

I am a SoCal LX521.4 owner. I bought mine from a builder who went the JBM M2 route and sold them to me. I redid the finish and decided to pair them with the Hairball ASP. If Covid lets up, I would be happy to let you listen - I have both Analog and nice Roon setup for listening. I have mine...
  14. M

They barely move at all. It takes something like heavy synth music to see them move at all. They are really amazing drivers so I urge you to use them in your final build, but if you need to do some substitution, just try to match the parameters. If you want me to play something, I can video it...
  15. M

Congrats on the build. I went with the Hairball Audio analog ASP.4 crossover and ATI AT528NC amps. My build is painted and uses a veneer on the bridge - learned a lot and would do it differently if I had a chance - trying to get a piano black is really hard with the paint and sprayer I had at...
  16. M

SMSL SP400 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA

APOS has the same ensemble at the same price: SP400 - M400 ensemble
Top Bottom