Search results

1. BoosedElephant

Why are modern AV Receivers so terrible?

What is the importance of Audyssey MultEQ XT32?
  2. BoosedElephant

Thank you for the reassurance, I'll do my research!
  3. BoosedElephant

I feel like I should ask, are Q550 good speakers? I want to get as many sources as possible. And if they are good, what setup should I pair with them? Should I go the receiver route or the prepro + amp route? If it's the latter, do I need anything else other than the prepro and the amp or...
  4. BoosedElephant

I'm researching speakers. What is available excites me. The KEF Q550's look exceptional and from what I understand KEF makes excellent speakers. They're expensive, but with enough saving are within the realm of possibility. Then I look at receivers and I'm disheartened. I don't want to...
  5. BoosedElephant

What equipment do you recommend for this setup? I'm still very much in research mode.
  6. BoosedElephant

Under what circumstances would these audio formats need to be decoded? Blu-ray? And if so, why is it not decoded in the Blu-ray player? Basically I want a decent living room setup that can switch between a TV, and a turntable.
  7. BoosedElephant

Just to clarify, a pre is a preamp? What does the processor do? Decode specific audio formats?
  8. BoosedElephant

Since quality equipment is so expensive, and anything within a reasonable budget measures poorly, would it be better to just purchase powered speakers and forgo passive? I imagine there's a device that can switch the source of powered monitors between at least two sources. If so, what...
  9. BoosedElephant

Unless I'm mistaken the Marantz tested poorly and he didn't recommend it.
  10. BoosedElephant

Under what circumstances would an individual need to decode these formats? Are they included on Blu-ray movies as an option for people with the ability to decode them? What is a prepro? What are height channels?
  11. BoosedElephant

Then let's stick with what we have. What setup could I put together, that is 5.1 and measure well? Has multiple input options for switching between a TV, turntable, and if possible the internet.
  12. BoosedElephant

How does the Outlaw 5000 measure?
  13. BoosedElephant

Is it still possible to do it this way? If so, what type of equipment do I need to Google?
  14. BoosedElephant

I actually really like this idea. I imagine it would be hard to integrate some features without incorporating the AMP into the unit, but, it would be a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Overall I think this design philosophy would be more beneficial to the market.
  15. BoosedElephant

Are there any companies that still produce quality equipment? I don't want, when I have the funds, to spend a lot of money an KEF speakers and then have crappy equipment drive them. I would be happy with five channels, and even then it would take some time for me to saturate them with equipment.
  16. BoosedElephant

Granted @amirm hasn't performed very many reviews for home theater receivers. His sample size is too small to determine if it is indicative a larger trend within the industry. However, I am seeing multi-thousand dollar receivers measuring terribly. And it's mind blowing to me. I understand...
  17. BoosedElephant

THX AAA 789 and JDS Labs EL DAC II arrives

My next goal is living room setup, but it's going to be a while. My DAC and Amp were a little over $700 after shipping and taxes. I can't justify the purchases quite yet. However I will want the ability to connect to multiple devices, such as TV, a turntable, and something like a network...
  18. BoosedElephant

THX AAA 789 and JDS Labs EL DAC II arrives

Just got my THX AAA 789 and JDS Labs EL DAC II in the post. One of the first things I noticed is instrument's being clearly defined and sounds not rolling together. I can hear the void in between sounds. And it's weird, I remember my History of Rock & Roll teacher telling us "quiet" is just...
  19. BoosedElephant

Has anyone heard of Angstrom?

At some point these companies are selling a luxury item and not the performance. I think somewhere in the $2,000 - $4,000 price range is where performance stops increasing in any meaningful way. Benchmark or, say, Matrix are endgame level equipment that have near unparalleled measurements...
  20. BoosedElephant

Has anyone heard of Angstrom?

According to the person selling the unit, the MSRP is $17,000. I know audio equipment can get expensive, just look at, say, Meridian Audio. The DSP8000, on the used market, is $30,000 per tower. I have no idea what it is new because their site doesn't provide prices. I also want to point out...
Top Bottom