Search results

1. Jon AA

AV123 / GR Research X-Voce Speaker Review

There's no reason the model wouldn't apply to EQd speakers exactly the same way it applies to any speaker--provided the speaker is physically measured with the EQ in place. Many speaker flaws, like cancellations, do not respond well, if at all, to EQ. So a nice smooth line in REW may never...
  2. Jon AA

SOS… Lynx Hilo - Imperium - KH750 - KH80

Personally, I'd follow Neumann's instructions. If you need another reference point, here is how mine measures at the above pictured axis. Silly me, I didn't think to measure it on the tweeter axis just to see the difference. Sorry. After seeing that response I figured "They know what...
  3. Jon AA

How Loud: Genelec vs. Neumann

Honestly, I find those graphs interesting from an Engineering standpoint, those who like to contemplate the minutia of driver design, etc, can stare at them all day and still be entertained. But I find them utterly useless from a practical standpoint for the end user. If it's a flat measuring...
  4. Jon AA

JBL Studio 590 Speaker Review

No, the grill extends up into the horn--look just below the tweeter. You wouldn't normally put a step in a horn like that. The grill may have a solid portion there that smooths it out somewhat.
  5. Jon AA

JBL Studio 590 Speaker Review

It's great to see these speakers reviewed! However, I'm wondering if these might belong to the minority group of speakers that might actually measure better with the grills on.... :oops:
  6. Jon AA

Your help with my first speaker build

That's not quite accurate. Lots of things have come into stock--they just don't stay in stock very long so you need to check frequently if you want something (following the thread on AVS Forum helps). I've bought 4 HT-8s and 2 HT-10s recently, many others have gotten the big Titan 818s. The...
  7. Jon AA

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Actually it's the opposite. The closer you get to the wall, the higher in frequency the cancellation gets (the 1/4 wavelength becomes shorter). However, since the speaker is generally more directional at higher frequencies, the cancellation is less severe. And since it occurs at a higher...
  8. Jon AA

Why do passive speakers still exist?

Please click on your own link to the review of the KH420. Take off the blinders and notice the limiters kicking in at a mere 106 dB at 1m. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for some to admire the excellence of a well designed speaker and still acknowledge that the speaker may not be the best...
  9. Jon AA

The wait is over: Genelec 8381A point source main monitor has arrived

Of course it can. I have considered this and looked into it. I'm guessing you have not. First, I've never said a single bad word about GLM (other than the fact it does not reduce decay time in bass frequencies, but recommends bass traps for that--that wasn't a bad word, just a statement of...
  10. Jon AA

KEF Reference 2 meta Measurements and Review.

Nice measurements. It looks like as horizontal center channels go, this might be one of the best available.
  11. Jon AA

The wait is over: Genelec 8381A point source main monitor has arrived

No, the measurements have. That's precisely the point. Very few people have treatments effective enough in the low bass to obtain similar results. Because they are so impractical. In other words, most people will never get similar results from common treatments and EQ. Therefore, a tool...
  12. Jon AA

Why do passive speakers still exist?

They aren't exactly common on the consumer market though, are they? I think the M2 is the only such speaker that Erin has reviewed and I think the Grimani in-wall is the only one Amir has reviewed (and that's out of a lot of speakers). Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fine solution but it...
  13. Jon AA

JBL 4329P (review and measurements by Erin)

EQing those out may not be a good idea given the directivity errors at those spots--EQing the listening window flat will create peaks in the off-axis response and may sound worse. I think Erin is probably correct that they're caused by the baffle design--fixing them would require changing the...
  14. Jon AA

JBL 4329P (review and measurements by Erin)

The horizontal directivity of that horn is fantastic. Better, IMHO, than the M2 or 4369 for multichannel/multi listener use. The directivity errors at 800 and 1400 Hz are unfortunate though and keep it from being a near perfect design.
  15. Jon AA

Best measuring speaker?

That's why I mentioned it. I see in many, many discussions people saying they like really wide dispersion because it "sounds the same all over the room," and is good for multiple listeners for that reason. And I think they're correct in many cases when tonality is the only thing they judge...
  16. Jon AA

Best measuring speaker?

I would add to that, moderate to narrow dispersion speakers. "Extreme Toe," "Cross Firing," "Time Intensity Trading" to improve the spatial accuracy for off axis listeners just doesn't work with really wide dispersion speakers.
  17. Jon AA

Subwoofers make all big speakers obsolete?

I think that's a bit of projection. When the most comprehensive research we have in this area found that for the vast majority of listeners, bass extension is a large part of how they perceive sound quality (thus its influence on the preference score), I tend to think those for whom it does not...
  18. Jon AA

Best measuring speaker?

If talking about speakers that hold their directivity to lower frequencies (thus, less affected by SBIR reflections) such as cardioid speakers, etc, it most certainly can be seen in the spin (steeply rising sound power DI at a much lower frequency than normal speakers--for an example see Erin's...
  19. Jon AA

Subwoofers make all big speakers obsolete?

Not really. Are you somehow under the impression that if one puts a sub into his system it's just going to randomly play 20 Hz sound that's not in the recording? I don't know where you'd get that idea, but it's not from reality.
  20. Jon AA

Arendal 1723 Speaker Review

There's a pretty huge gap in capability between Ultra and Dominus certification. One speaker may pretty easily surpass all the Ultra requirements (but still be nowhere near Dominus) and another speaker may just barely pass the requirements for Ultra, but both speakers would get the Ultra...
Top Bottom