Search results

1. tuga

Is baffle shape really important? What about these ideas?

The ceiling slopes across the axis of the speakers, which not being coaxial mid-tweeter should result in some degree of imbalance. I wonder if that is why the speakers are upside down?
  2. tuga

Is baffle shape really important? What about these ideas?

About baffle design, edge diffraction, secondary sound sources, ... ... and their influence on the sound quality of loudspeakers https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/kantendiffraktion-sekundaerschallquellen-treiberanordnun/
  3. tuga

BBC Research Department loudspeaker development

This piece ends with a sobering reflection from the author: The views expressed here are based on experience within the BBC. Some of the conclusions are drawn from limited evidence and not all engineers within the BBC would necessarily agree with all of them. In spite of all that has been said...
  4. tuga

How NOT to set up speakers and room treatment ( Goldensound)

Your patronising tone is not worthy of a reply. Don't fall off your high horse.
  5. tuga

I am happy with 2-channel, and the recordings don't have to be BIS or Channel Classics level, lesser ones work fine too (musically they're just as engaging). I don't need or enjoy the effects of early side-reflections, nor do I need extra channels although I am sure that multi-channel recordings...
  6. tuga

Here we have this on the roof of a home where an artist used to live (the sea is some 80 miles out):
  7. tuga

The public and the planners don't want new land to be developped, but if it has to happen then it better look like it's been there for the past half century...
  8. tuga

They're pretty standard all over, yes. This one is actually on the big side for Oxford. In regard to your second questions, Brits are very conservative and some developpers still request that we add fake chimney breasts in the sitting room and to put fake plastic chimneys on the roof... :facepalm:
  9. tuga

Amray's 2D raytracing simulator is an interesting tool to understand sound reflections. https://amcoustics.com/tools/amray
  10. tuga

I have taken the following from a BBC Research Department report on a reflection-free style studio desgn titled "CONTROLLED IMAGE DESIGN: The management of stereophonic image quality". 3. EARLY EFFECTS In the time immediately following its emission from a small source, a sound wave will...
  11. tuga

I think that the style is Edwardian, slighly over a hundred years old perhaps. But new homes are even smaller; the joys of a profit-driven economy.
  12. tuga

I hope you don't mind me posting a rebutal quote taken from one of the BBC Research Department research reports by H. D. Harwood: A/B testing (...) Now the alarming fact is that A /B testing may under certain circumstances give rise to completely wrong results when comparing the sound quality...
  13. tuga

There's a huge disparity between house sizes in 'young' countries vs. old European homes. The following floor plans are of a typical layout for a 2 & 1/2 bed, 2-storey house here in Oxford (good luck finding one for less than £600k). I hope it helps people understand that we have different...
  14. tuga

Toole rates envelopment higher than precise stereo imaging. That's his prerogative. So much so he's willing to upmix 2-channel stereo. Why that (Toole's preference) is suddenly better or right is beyond comprehension... Your admiration for the man and his work is clouding your judgement.
  15. tuga

I agree with your approach, it's identical to mine. But I find your second comment patronising to be honest, and even though like you I find most acoustic treatment props ugly I wouldn't mind using for example bass traps or a Helmholtz resonator if I could build them into the architecture or...
  16. tuga

I was not replying to Toole's book but to the person I quoted, though I have read it, some parts a few times. That seems to have been the problem. Everything looks fine and dandy on a superficial reading. A 'real' stereo recording over speakers is unable to reconstruct the original soundfield...
  17. tuga

Stereo is an effect which uses two speakers to trick your brain into locating a phantom source in the space between and also to produce a sense of space where the musical event took place or a fabricated soundstage. It's not the same as having an omni speaker reproducing an anechoic recording of...
  18. tuga

For one nobody is claiming that. Secondly, people should set up and treat their rooms to suit their preference. Finally, image and soundstage perceived width are inversely proportional qualities to image sharpness.
Top Bottom