Search results

1. Monstieur

Apple Spacial Audio Questions

1. It's real E-AC-3 Atmos with discrete base channels and objects. It sounds far better than Atmos for Headphones. 2. Yes, even on non-Atmos speakers, since the surround channels are discrete. The next best thing is upmixing Atmos for Headphones from macOS / iOS instead of upmixing plain stereo...
  2. Monstieur

How To Play Apple Dolby Atmos Music Over AVR

Not anymore. Bitstreaming functionality is not preset in the Music app and has been removed from the QuickTime player as well.
  3. Monstieur

How To Play Apple Dolby Atmos Music Over AVR

Apple TV is the only way to bitstream E-AC-3 Atmos to an AVR. The next closest thing you can do is play 2-channel Atmos for Headphones from iOS / macOS to an AVR and upmix it with Dolby Surround Upmixer. iOS / macOS downmixes the E-AC-3 Atmos track using Atmos for Headphones, and the AVR upmixes...
  4. Monstieur

ASIO, WASAPI, Direct Sound... is there any difference in sound quality?

It was the best option until WASAPI Exclusive mode in Windows Vista.
  5. Monstieur

Kernel Streaming is the lowest level audio interface on Windows. It sends I/O requests directly to the WDMAud kernel-mode driver for the hardware. There is no benefit unless you're writing highly optimized code that needs minimum latency.
  6. Monstieur

ASIO uses WDM to communicate with the sound card. ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, etc. are all interfaces on top of the WDM driver.
  7. Monstieur

PlayStation 5 audio capabilities

All the current spatial sound solutions on Windows are designed for headphones, not speakers. The last speaker virtualization solution on Windows was Creative CMSS3D. Spatial Sound in Windows works only when the game or application uses WASAPI shared mode and requests a surround format while...
  8. Monstieur

It uses HRTFs, the same way you get surround from a headphone.
  9. Monstieur

With Dolby Digital you will get surround. With stereo, not unless you see an option for stereo speaker 3D audio.
  10. Monstieur

You can use a HDMI audio extractor to get surround for speakers. If you extract HDMI to optical then you need to set the PS5 to output Dolby Digital to get 5.1 surround. I don't recall whether 2-channel speaker surround with a HRTF is supported yet.
  11. Monstieur

Surround sound for speakers works only over HDMI. Any DAC is treated as a headphone for surround.
  12. Monstieur

Denon AVR-A1H

It looks like the A1H does not come with a learning IR remote like the X8500H does. I use the learning functionality and extra buttons at the bottom extensively to switch inputs and eARC source on my HDFury VRROOM box.
  13. Monstieur

Denon AVR-A1H

Can this use all 15 channels for Atmos when using the combined Atmos / Auro3D height speaker layout (Front Height / Center Height / Top Middle / Top Surround / Rear Height)? Or is the Atmos decoder restricted from using the Center Height / Top Surround Auro3D channels like the 13-amp X8500HA...
  14. Monstieur

Torn: Focal Elegia vs. Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X/RT

I don't like the Harman target either. The treble is painful if I EQ a headphone to meet the Harman target. I like only the sub-bass shelf. The stock treble tuning of the Aeon is just the right amount. Since you even mentioned sub-bass, I would skip the Aeon. The closed back doesn't make much...
  15. Monstieur

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

The LCD-5 does have weak bass out of the box. But when I add a +10 dB or more bass shelf it sounds and feels the part. I don't get the same increase in feel with the Aeon 2 with a bass shelf. I don't have the HD800, but I would never attempt to EQ the bass on any open-back dynamic driver as it...
  16. Monstieur

If frequency response at the eardrum was all that mattered, then there would be no difference at the same amplitude. Clearly that's not the case. The waves from the subwoofer transfer energy to your entire body. It's also clear that headphones with a similar sub-bass frequency response produce...
  17. Monstieur

He was talking about audible bass in that video, and that was the reason the hump in the bass was introduced at 100 Hz which is well above sub-bass. However the Aeon 2 Closed has > 1% distortion at 20 Hz at 90 dB, while the LCD series are well below 1%. Yet the LCD has more sub-bass to me...
  18. Monstieur

A subwoofer calibrated to identical frequency response and loudness at the seating location as a pair of headphones clearly has more "slam". There's no reason to think that a bigger driver or different sized ear pads, with identical frequency response, can't do the same.
  19. Monstieur

Here is a corroborating review (@12:50) for the bass on the Aeon 2. Can anyone confirm whether the Expanse has a similar sensation of sub-bass?
Top Bottom