Search results

1. M

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

I think that is a big improvement. My impression has been that treble peaks, even if outside but near the audible range, can harden the sound and cause more irritation. Do I have objective data? No. But I am delighted to see that Fosi has eliminated that as a possibility.
  2. M

Schiit Loki Mini+ Equalizer Review

This review is probably the only one I've seen on ASR that I think is totally off-base, and that has led to some very strange comments by readers. When testing an equalizer, if you want it to look weird, normalize all the graphs to 1 kHz. The right way is to keep the levels exactly the same...
  3. M

Anthem STR pre-amp

Obviously, audibility of hiss will depend on gain of the power amplifier and sensitivity of the speakers. The Marchand crossover used by the reviewer might contribute a bit of additional hiss, too, which could increase the audibility of the Anthem's self-noise. To put the finding in...
  4. M

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

My comments are completely subjective. Those who object to that, I suggest read no further. I had the Bryston and Apollon (PuriFi 1ET400A) amps at the same time. I had owned the Bryston for a couple of years (and was happy with it) but bought the Apollons on spec during early days of the COVID...
  5. M

I respect your desire for reliability, and I, too, would prefer to buy from a manufacturer close to me, in case of any issues. I like to buy things I can keep for a long time, and I usually do keep good things for a long time. That said, your friends seem have have had very bad luck. I've also...
  6. M

Are you kidding? SpeakON connectors are dirt cheap . . . like $3 apiece, last time I looked.
  7. M

NAD M66 - finally someone makes a decent 2-channel preamp!

DLBC seems to calibrate each sub independently. If each sub is in a different position, it will generate nulls at different frequencies at the listening position. What is needed is an algorithm to calibrate each sub while all four are playing with the objective to get flattest combined response...
  8. M

Sabaj A20d 2023 DAC & HP Amp Review

To me, it's not trivial -- it's really ugly. I like the aluminum finish, and I'm neutral on the handles, but the mismatched lettering would bother me every time I used this. Time to hire an experienced industrial designer and add a few bucks to the price.
  9. M

Trinnov Nova experience or owners?

How would one get output from a DLNA server on a Synology NAS into Dante format? Is that even possible? Likewise, a Roon ROCK NUC outputs digital audio over the network, but not in Dante format. Can conversion to DANTE format be accomplished?
  10. M

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

I wonder when the cheap Class-D designs will get rid of that load dependency?
  11. M

Moondrop LAN Review

To me, a LAN is a Local Area Network. This is some kind of earphone. Perhaps you would edit your review to define what LAN means the first time you use it.
  12. M

Taboo cheapness: Harrison Labs attenuators & crossovers

Thanks for that! Naiant looks like a fine outfit, and the MPD are considerably more cost-effective than the alternatives I've seen (for line-level balanced attenuators).
  13. M

For EQ that always remain the same, I agree that miniDSP and parametric EQ can do that fine and with more flexibility, at least for digital signals. However, if you are trying to fix recordings that bother you, i.e., you want a more versatile tone control and something that can be adjusted in...
  14. M

The audience is someone with not a lot of money who has a large music library (or in these days of streaming, wide musical interests) and who wants to make flawed recordings sound better. I guess @pma beat me to that comment, but it bears repeating. In response to a previous comment: The value...
  15. M

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Agreed. I'll go further -- anyone who posts such a video has immediately marked themselves (in my mind, anyway) as irrelevant, and possibly deluded, in the audio world. One can struggle to hear differences among components when listening in person. The idea that sound comparisons can be picked...
  16. M

Anthem STR pre-amp

Hi -- Agreed, the app is close to useless, and on Android the app also is full of bugs (e.g., shows the wrong profile). I can't say whether Windows can control the STR volume, as I used Windows just long enough to verify that the "pop" did not occur. Best luck with your plugin! EDIT ADDED: I...
  17. M

Anthem STR pre-amp

@radix - Many months ago, I asked Anthem support about the "quick pop" when first playing. They replied that they claim compatibility with only Mac or Windows computers through the USB connection, so they don't consider the pop to be a bug that requires attention. I confirmed that there's no pop...
  18. M

Anthem STR pre-amp

Unless another STR owner knows the answer (I do not), I suggest emailing [email protected] and asking the question. That or ask the dealer you are thinking of buying it from.
  19. M

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

I am grateful for the review of the Topping, but as far as displays go, you need to get around more! Attached is a photo of the Anthem STR Preamplifier. There is another mode that keeps the large volume display and adds other useful info.
  20. M

Anthem STR Integrated vs MiniDSP+Purifi

If you run any analog signal into the STR, my understanding is that it will be digitized if you use any of the DSP features. Those include ARC (room correction) Bass-treble-sub level controls. I'm not sure about balance Bass management (HP and LP filters) For that reason, I don't see any...
Top Bottom