Search results

1. hyperplanar

Apple Announces Next-Generation M1 Pro and M1 Max Chips

Just got my hands on the 16" with M1 Pro, was very excited to finally retire my 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro, which just hasn't been cutting it for anything more than light coding/web browsing/email for a couple years now. Very satisfied with the hardware—the build is great, it's basically the...
  2. hyperplanar

Monitors for digital piano, how much delay?

Most non-analog studio monitors seem to have about 1-2 ms of delay. The speed of sound is about 1 ft/msec so the delay would be like sitting an extra foot or two away from the piano.
  3. hyperplanar

DAC-ADC interface : Any that will work FOR SURE?

Hi Marty, If hardware and driver stability is your number one priority, I suggest you take a look at RME’s interfaces. If you really have been struggling to find an interface that works well for 10 years, there is a good possibility something is up with your PC though. Some audio interface...
  4. hyperplanar

Spotify and loudness normalization - how can normalizaed track have higher DR than non-normalized

That’s certainly encouraging and a huge step in the right direction! I wonder if this change came with their “v2” normalization implementation. They were using ReplayGain before, where the gain change was done inside the decoder. With a switch to the standard LUFS system they probably started...
  5. hyperplanar

Tilt Tone Control for Headphones / Speakers

FabFilter Pro-Q 3 has a perfectly linear tilt filter if anyone owns it and didn’t know.
  6. hyperplanar

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

The chip amps should be TDA7293s, and IIRC all of Neumann’s drivers are manufactured by Peerless. They aren’t off the shelf designs but there’s a lot of parts commonality like the baskets and cones with the rest of their lineup.
  7. hyperplanar

PreSonus Eris E3.5 Powered Monitor Review ($100/pair)

Wow, that’s a terrible spin. But I do wonder, perhaps the scoop out of the low-mids is intentional to compensate for their intended placement as a computer speaker, sitting directly on a desk below or to the sides of a monitor. The acoustic reflections off the desk from such a placement would...
  8. hyperplanar

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

Needs to be done at the source. Quite problematic for a living room use case I’d imagine if it’s being fed from a TV’s optical output, but it works out great with an audio interface like the Babyface pro that can control its optical out volume.
  9. hyperplanar

Distortion...can a low pass filter change the breakup in the woofer at higher frequencies

High passing the speakers would improve their intermodulation distortion, but not its harmonic distortion (which is the graph REW shows you from doing a sine sweep measurement). This is because the sine sweep only plays one frequency at a time, so there is no possibility of the low frequencies...
  10. hyperplanar

It will correct the phase rotation due to the crossovers of analog speakers connected to a KH750 by loading the appropriate compensation filter for the model. (KH80 already has a linear phase crossover so not necessary there.) It doesn’t correct for any excess phase errors caused by the room...
  11. hyperplanar

Makes sense, the Behringers would narrow in directivity roughly at a 6.75 / 4 ~= 1.7x lower frequency so it's not spilling as much low mids onto your desk to reflect as the KH80s. I totally believe your experience, it's a shame that it didn't work out but I agree, makes no sense to keep...
  12. hyperplanar

Very cute—seems like your problem is cat filtering :) Your desk is really deep and seems like the perfect reflector for your speakers unfortunately... (moving a mirror around the desk while sitting and looking for the reflection of the speakers is a nice visual tool to determine this). Not sure...
  13. hyperplanar

Yeah I suspect the primary culprit is the desk here. As for the transition to omnidirectionality, there’s no hard cutoff there. It’s just that a larger woofer/baffle will gradually start narrowing its directivity at a lower frequency than a smaller speaker. So since a smaller speaker sprays more...
  14. hyperplanar

Other than what napilopez said, maybe you’ve already tried this, but try toeing out the speakers in increments and see if the sound gets better to you? Or sit closer to them so that the left speaker points directly at your left ear and the right speaker points directly at your right ear. I find...
  15. hyperplanar

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Not sure I can explain the physical reason why, but I'd imagine it has to do with all kinds of tracking error and the tolerances of the cartridge. I think the most obvious case would be if you have an older mono record to rip and examine (with a stereo cartridge of course).
  16. hyperplanar

That’s part of the fuzziness, but I’d imagine simple crosstalk reduces the stereo width. I’ve looked at my own vinyl rips through a goniometer in iZotope Ozone and noticed even completely centered mono sounds are spread out from a perfect thin line into something more like a grain of rice.
  17. hyperplanar

iZotope Vinyl! An absolute must have for making lo-fi music :)
  18. hyperplanar

Yes that's true. I meant besides the RIAA EQ etc.
  19. hyperplanar

I think it's the combo of the altered frequency response, distortion, and stereo imaging. Also for certain genres, the non-brickwalled masters for vinyl compared to digital. Don't know about anyone else's setup but I was able to compare a release where I know the masters are the same between the...
  20. hyperplanar

Possibly, they want people to spend money on the MA-1 mic for sure. Not to mention the licensing costs with Fraunhofer. But I don't see the benefit in them encrypting/obscuring the communication protocol to the DSP monitors themselves, so should be able to make a much lighter weight version of...
Top Bottom