Search results

1. davide78

ChatGPT to calculate DIY speakers

There are mathematical problems that computers cannot solve, no matter how poweful and complicated they are. This has been known since the 1920s, from the works of Turing, Goedel and others. Solving an arbitrary optimization problem in plain english is one example of such "undecidable" problems...
  2. davide78

bookshelf speakers for Yamaha stereo receiver

If you can save more, or wait for a good offer to show up, go for the Elac DBR62. When I bought mine I had the chance to compare them with some similarly priced coaxial KEFs at the shop (Q350, if memory serves) and choose the Elacs. They do sound very good in my living room with no particular...
  3. davide78

Is Toslink the preferred cable vs. USB?

Let's try to do one step at a time. You don't need a USB cable now, and you do not need to mess with the settings on the Topping to get the basic things going: 1. connect the TV to the Topping with the toslink cable. 2. Are your spkeakers connected to the Denon AVR or the Tube amp? Connect the...
  4. davide78

Fun with vinyl measurements

From the pictures in the service manual, it should have the smaller motor. Cleaning the motor is outside my comfort zone, and given that everything works I prefer not to risk breaking it. I'll try again with the placement of the Tacet record. FWIW, the "RPM Speed and Wow" App measures 33.45...
  5. davide78

I tried different positioning, but get only worse results in terms of centering ... oh well, I may have been lucky the first time! I always get a very consistent 3150 Hz between the two steps. Manufactures specs report below 0.025% JIS W&F, so it can get better than that. Either I need better...
  6. davide78

I add my 2c to the thread with some Wow and Flutter measurement of the little Denon DP-15F with the Tacet Vinyl:Check test record. WFGUI reports 3152 Hz and 0.09% DIN W&F Polar plot ... .. and Audacity Wow and Flutter Visualizer Speed seems to be accurate IMHO. I am not sure how to read...
  7. davide78

Upgrading a digital chain with DSP,

Behringer ultracurve and minidsp nanodigi can do dsp in the digital domain.
  8. davide78

Recommendations for DAC under 50$ to eliminate static noise on PC (headphones use only)

Another option is the Fiio E10K https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-jdslabs-odac-rev-b-compared-to-fiio-e10k.2068/ I use one at office, and I am very happy about it. There is a german seller on ebay that sells refurbished units for ~55 Euros. I...
  9. davide78

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Yes! But.... Yes! I replaced my vintage Mission speakers with a pair of Elac DBR62, and my system has never sounded soo good as it sounds now But .... I'm struggling with speaker placement and room EQ. So far I have the best results with the speakers at the "trivial position" either side of...
  10. davide78

What do you use to implement DSP?

Yamaha RX-V477 graphics EQ and tone control + miniDSP 2x4 for subwoofer EQ
  11. davide78

[POLL] Hi-res music

With the right content, I cannot tell the difference between 8 and 16 bit. Hence, I do not pay for hi-res.
  12. davide78

mission brand speakers?

I used pair of Mission 760 as my main speakers until a few months ago. I still have them, and they served me well for many years. They do need a subwoofer to excel, IMHO. You cannot ask too much from a 130mm bass driver.
  13. davide78

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

Because we can be more helpful if we know what goal you want to achieve and what is your use case. There are many ways to set up a stereo system with bass-management, and not knowing why you have excluded some of them does not help the discussion. Also, other users may be interested in setting...
  14. davide78

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

Pioneer SX-S30 Denon DRA-800H Marantz NR-1200 Onkyo TX-8270 They are basically AVRs with a 2-channel amp, so they maybe violate your requirements.
  15. davide78

Help with MacOS, Windows for ProntoPro

The options to run Windows apps in MacOS are the three described by @pierre. In terms of compatiblity with USB devices, Bootcamp would definitely work, since it allows your Mac to boot straight into windows, skipping MacOS altogether. VirtualBox is a hit or miss, depending on the specific...
  16. davide78

Let's talk CD Players!

They are probably as good as they need to be. Hifinews measured 104 dB SNR and 0.0019% THD for the axc35. I would choose based on availability, price and functionalities (more or less in that order).
  17. davide78

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Elac DBR 62 speakers Art DJ-pre II phono preamp
  18. davide78

Let's talk CD Players!

The original remote of the CDP-X333ES has 20 direct access buttons and a ">20" key to enter track numbers above 20. Some sony remotes have the same configuration, other have only 10 or 16 direct access buttons (with >10 or >16 key). I suspect the latter may not work with my player. Well, I have...
  19. davide78

Let's talk CD Players!

Thanks! Having the buttons for direct track access would be nice, other than that I don't need extra functionalities besides the basic play controls.
  20. davide78

Let's talk CD Players!

Thanks to this thread, I recently bought a Sony CDP-X333ES. I still love to play and buy music on CD, and wanted to get an high-end player while you can still find them at reasonable prices. I don't have the remote, and the matching RM-D991 model seems to cost more than what I paid for the...
Top Bottom