Search results

1. C

Tekton style like tweeter array good idea?

I do not have distortion measurements for all possible tweeters available. But for the SBAcoustics TW29TXN-B, I have magazine measurements that show that at 85dB, the tweeter exhibits less than 1% HD2 and around 0.2% HD3 at 1kHz. The mere 6dB higher SPL results from a specific configuration...
  2. C

Would never say that a tweeter array is an ingenious concept for the midrange. But it should work down to 800Hz. In my opinion, it would make much more sense to use a good 2'' full range driver, which allows a crossover frequency used in an 6 driver array of 300-400Hz (maybe 250Hz as 14 driver...
  3. C

The tweeters used for the arrays of the "high-end" Tekton speaker have roughly the following key data: fs 600Hz, xmax 0.25mm, power handling 80W with BU2@2600Hz. At 85dB SPL such a tweeter (e.g. TW29BN-B, TW29DN-B) remains below 1% HD at 1kHz. Below fs, the frequency response drops off as a...
  4. C

The measuring process by Stereophile is consistent, but about 6dB wrong below 300Hz. If done correctly, you can determine the low frequency range of a speaker to around +-1.5dB (my estimate, often deviation is less) via near-field measurement and subsequent merging of near-field measurement...
  5. C

All stereophile measurements of the overall frequency response are incorrect below 200-300Hz. When combining gated and nearfield measurements, the half-space (2pi) to full-space (4pi) transition of the nearfield measurement is not taken into account. You are probably the thousandth person to...
  6. C

Tekton uses SBAcoustic dome tweeter which provides several different tweeter with 10cm² Sd - see the link in the previous post or here and here. In the Tekton speaker models with "circular arrays" are 6-14 tweeter used. So dome area isn't a real problem as long as the crossover frequency is...
  7. C

... the statement is IMHO not quite right. Sd for a 1'' tweeter is usually between 6-10cm². With six units, you would therefore have a summed dome area of approximately 36-60cm² - for example, 1'' tweeters from SBAcoustic and Seas. The tweeters in the "circular midrange array" are, at least as...
  8. C

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

I believe Eric has repeatedly stated in the forum and in videos that the screw holes reach airspeed Mach 1, leading to significant audible sound impairments. As you mentioned, turbulence reduces airspeed, and what Eric doesn't mention is that you would need to operate the speaker with SPL >95dB...
  9. C

Unfortunately, I don't have access to high-resolution impedance measurements of the Mini-Lore that could be converted. [Speculation] If you take a very close look at the on-axis frequency response of Amir's published NFS measurements, you can notice a very small increase in the frequency...
  10. C

I hope I understood this correctly. In Amir's and Erin's measurements, the focus is on four non-sealed holes (screw holes) in the enclosure with a diameter of 1/4'' and how strongly they have affected the measurements. @Eric Alexander, the speaker designer of the two speakers, believes that this...
  11. C

However, I didn't make an effort to optimize the array. If you drive the speaker actively via DSP, there are additional opportunities to optimize the radiation pattern for the circular tweeter array. Yep, I saw the diyAudio thread. My sketch above is based on that info. I just couldn't find any...
  12. C

The idea with the tweeter array is conceptually interesting, aside from the fact that the resonance frequency of the tweeter is hardly below 500Hz, so the lower midrange cannot be adequately served. By dividing the tweeters into groups within the array, directivity can be fairly well...
  13. C

Therefore, I am glad to discuss only a concept similar to what the manufacturer uses. Such freedom should be possible.
  14. C

This is to be expected due to the severe beaming (significant narrowing of radiation towards higher frequencies) of the two circular tweeter arrays. The manufacturer himself compares these arrays with 12'' drivers. As mentioned before, there is no information about the exact filter design. One...
  15. C

Why should he do this? I simply simulated a speaker similar in concept to that of Moab or Encore, with a central tweeter and two circular arrays. I pointed out the lack of information on crossover design in the manufacturer's specifications and explained which crossover design was chosen for...
  16. C

Absolutely right, 99% here in the forum will probably agree - only the on-axis measurement of a loudspeaker says almost nothing. Otherwise there would have been no need for a CTA-2034-A standard and we would continue to measure only on-axis as we did 40 years ago. A reasonably linear on-axis...
  17. C

PS Audio sent Erin their speaker??!!

Just because Prof. Klippel used a small sample speaker, short-term compression measurements are still interesting for every speaker ;) For a professional PA speaker, long-term compression is certainly important, as nobody wants a PA speaker that completely changes its sound characteristics...
  18. C

Amplitude compression is always the SPL difference between the frequency response at a certain voltage and the frequency response of a reference voltage from the "small signal domain." Here is a technically accurate definition: Any difference in the frequency response is compression. The...
  19. C

Amir, one cannot say this in general terms. Nearly instantaneous compression is achieved through: - voice coil, as it can heat up in a few seconds - limited peak displacement of the driver - resonance of the BR-port and enclosure, flow problems - resonance frequency of the driver. Because of...
  20. C

Analysis of Paper on Measurements of RCA Cables by Kunchur (Video)

Thanks for the link to the Leshowitz paper. Full agreement! It is downright ironic that Professor Kunchur emphasizes in the article how important the consideration of the time domain is for high-end audio (HEA), citing the "Two-Pluse threshold" as an example, where the time offset of the pulses...
Top Bottom