Search results

1. G

SOLD: Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2-EX v2 (left, center, right) speakers

Up for sale is the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX v2 left/center/right speakers in Satin Espresso finish. These were originally purchased as Sierra 2's by me. I have since purchased the upgrade kit and manually converted them to Sierra 2EX v2's. As such, they will come shipped in the original...
  2. G

Are sound bar measurements worth doing?

I know most of the enthusiasts on this site prefer a more traditional speaker setup over a sound bar, but it can't be denied that sounds bars make up a huge market and many people use them for movies and music. It could be worth reviewing and measuring - is this something Amir has considered? I...
  3. G

Dumb question about 2 way towers with multiple woofers

So as I understand it, the problem with 2-way MTM center channels is that the multiple woofers cause acoustic interference with each other which causes a narrowing of the response off axis, correct? So why isn't this a problem with 2-way towers with multiple woofers? Why does changing the...
  4. G

"Klippel verified" car audio?

Recently, I started looking into car audio and came across Rockford Fostgate car speakers. From the date of the article, this is old news to people who are into car audio, but it's new to me. Apparently, they are "Klippel verified:"...
  5. G

Room Correction/EQ for "background music"

I have a stereo setup currently running Infinity IL30 towers used almost entirely for background music for the rest of the house. I was thinking of using room correction/EQ to optimize the sound in the bass region. My question is what is the optimum way to go about this, seeing as there is no...
  6. G

Any reason not to use an AVR for a music only setup?

I'm in the process of putting together a secondary music-only setup with some JBL towers and wish to keep things somewhat reasonably priced (under $1500 for electronics - I already have the speakers) and the more I go through my laundry list of features I'd want, the more an AVR makes sense to...
  7. G

New to amp measurements. Help a newbie out!

I'm mostly a speaker measurements guy but recently, I've been exploring all the SINAD measurements from amps and DAC's on this site. I am trying to make sense of manufacturer-given THD+N% numbers and how it relates to ASR's SINAD numbers in dB. Can one easily be converted into the other? For...
  8. G

Stereo receiver recommendation with good measurements?

I'm looking for a stereo receiver with good measurements to power a pair of Infinity R152 in a bedroom. A lot of options out there from Yamaha, Onkyo, Cambridge Audio, Sony, etc. but I can't find a lot of objective measurements for them. I prefer a receiver over a typical integrated amp to make...
  9. G

XT32 with MRC vs no room EQ at all for a well behaved neutral speaker?

Due to unforeseen circumstances, and until I get a new amp, I will be driving my Revel F206 with a Denon X4000 receiver. I haven't hooked them up yet but I wanted to get a feel for what the community thought The X4000 came out before the Audyssey app came out, which allows you to limit EQ to...
  10. G

Audibility of AVR's vs ASR's better reviewed equipment?

I realize that the AVR's here are graded somewhat on a curve and don't measure up there with the best amplifiers and DAC's on this site (in terms of SINAD, among other things). But is this actually audible in a blind test? (assuming no room correction is engaged). If I have a middling AVR...
  11. G

FS: Energy C3

Up for sale is a pair of the Energy Connoisseur C-3, one of the best measuring speakers designed: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/energy_connoisseur_c3/ Minor scuffs/scratches on speakers but in otherwise good condition. Fully functional and sounds great. Comes with both speaker...
  12. G

Would it be useful for ASR to have an equipment review queue available?

I was just thinking of this looking through posts over on the speaker forum of speakers that Amir has ordered for review. I'm not sure how much extra work it would involve but would a running list of equipment in queue for review be helpful? Obviously if it's too much trouble, it wouldn't be...
  13. G

Passive bookshelf speaker recommendation for a desk?

I already have an amp that I'd like to make use of for a 2.0 desk setup. Does anyone have recommendations for a bookshelf speaker (that's not huge) with decent/good measurements that would work well in a near-field desktop setup? I'd prefer no subwoofer so although it doesn't need booming bass...
  14. G

How good are older Denon receivers?

Seems like Denon receivers generally get pretty good reviews here compared to other AVR's. I have a few older Denons, including the X4000 and X1000 - does anyone know how good the objective measurements of these older Denons would be? Are Denon's relatively good measurements more of a recent...
  15. G

What is considered a "good" preference rating?

What is considered a "good" preference rating, both with and without a subwoofer? Can certain preference rating clusters be grouped together to say these speakers generally perform about the same, or within reasonable audible thresholds? And if so, how should they be grouped?
  16. G

Is there any way to minimize bias in a blind test when you know which speakers are playing by hearing them?

I own quite a few speakers that I've listened to for years and am familiar with how they sound on a list of reference test tracks. Lately, I've been pondering trying to set up a blind test for myself as a way to pass the time when we should be staying indoors and socially distancing ourselves...
  17. G

Preference Rating and the case for subjective preference

There is no debate - Harman blind studies show that more neutral speakers were preferred over more colored speakers. But the studies didn't control for only frequency response; there were other variables that contributed to the lower ratings of the speakers that already were less neutral...
  18. G

Recommendation for neutral, small, budget speaker?

I haven't seen measurements for it, but the QA 3020 comes to mind for a small neutral budget (around $300 or less) speaker. Does anyone else have any recommendations or thoughts?
  19. G

Do any of you enjoy speakers with bad measurements?

So I have a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand that objectively, measure pretty bad; however, to use old subjective cliches, they sound very "musical" to me and I do enjoy listening to music on them. Being a frequent reader (and mostly a lurker) of this forum has led me to consider a...
Top Bottom