Search results

1. Scytales

DSD Direct vs non-DSD Direct: Myth or Turth?

Although ESS are always been sketchy about the internals of their DACs, we can say with confidence that what I have stressed in bold type is not correct. ESS DAC remodulate PCM in sigma-delta for D/A conversion, as almost every modern audio DACs on our planet do for more than 30 years...
  2. Scytales

DSD Direct vs non-DSD Direct: Myth or Turth?

To my understanding, what you referred to as "Direct DSD" is just the possibility built in some digital to analogue converters (DAC) chips based of one particular technique, that of switched capacitor output, to drive said switched capacitor output stage with bitstreams produced externally to...
  3. Scytales

812 digital sources from 1992 to 2024 ranked by THD

03/24/2024 update : new informations about some signal processes.
  4. Scytales

Best classical chamber music albums

Bang on the same genre : Also :
  5. Scytales

When does it make sense to place preamp between components?

@oOBurrowsOo, The Dynaudio loudspeakers you refer to (although you didn't mentioned the specific model out of the Evoke range) are inefficient to very inefficient loudspeakers, their sensitivity being in the 84 to 88 dB SPL/1 W/1 m depending on the specific model. You didn't specify the size...
  6. Scytales

03/22/2024 update : new informations about some signal processes.
  7. Scytales

03/21/2024 update : correction of an error about the Denon UDP 2012UD (2nd harmonic at -99 dB instead of -89 dB, hence better THD number) and news informations about some digital signal processes.
  8. Scytales

I update the files this March 2nd, 2024 with 4 new tests (see first post) from old issues. Tests in 16 bits : Accuphase DC-330 Accuphase DP-75V dCS Verdi+Elgar plus Sony DTC-ZA5ES More importantly, I have finally found in an old issue a statement about the nominal level at which the test are...
  9. Scytales

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player

I just reply to your thread with some hints about this player : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/magnetar-udp800-thoughts.42266/post-1902222
  10. Scytales

MAGNETAR UDP800 thoughts?

The Magnetar brand seems to be affiliated to Reavon, which sell less costly universal integrated players/streamers/DACs : https://magnetar-audio.store/fr/ https://reavon.store/fr/ I was once interested in the latter, for I am in search of a true multichannel universal (disc and computer...
  11. Scytales

Best No oversampling dac to buy??

By the way, just for the education of those interrested in this historical developpement, there is a great technical discussion about the first Philips DAC in this video posted on the UK AES channel :
  12. Scytales

Toslink or digital coaxial volume control

The most simple way of the world : as already said above by staticV3, the digital signal is attenuated by software computation in the PC before it being outputted via USB. That's it.
  13. Scytales

I update the files this February 21th, 2024 with 17 new tests (see first post) : Test in 24 bits : Linn Akurate DS SPL Diamond TEAC UD-505-X Tests in 16 bits : Accuphase DP-77 Audiomeca Keops Audionet ART V2 Ayre D-1 Cambridge Audio AXC35 Jadis JS1 MkIII Kondo M100 DAC Krell SACD Standard...
  14. Scytales

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

They are old Cabasse Catalane 500 from 1997 onward. Previously, I used to use the contemporary Cabasse Iroise SCS (at its time, the fifth version in 3 years of this particular product, which uses the very same speaker units than the Catalane... Despite of that fact, the Catalane have much less...
  15. Scytales

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Absolutely ! Should I add that front-end multichannel reproduction produce less warping of the virtual sources in the sound-stage compared to 2 channels only stereophonic reproduction. Tomlinson Holman have reported this observation in an article entitled "Channel Crossing" (Studio Sound...
  16. Scytales

New ASR logo proposal

To me, this proposals, especially the inclination of the letters to the right, which suggests movement, evokes motoring more than anything related to sound or science.
  17. Scytales

Looking for music with meaningful ultrasonic content

Try to spot the Denon Audio Check SACD (COGQ-28) : https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/10440800-Various-Denon-Audio-Check-SACD As far as I have been able to measured it with an old HP3581A, the DSD pink noise test tracks may go as far as 50 kHz high and possibly higher. Using a relatively...
  18. Scytales

Shanling SCD1.3 SACD/CD Player Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Streamer

Regrettably, this new SA-CD player does not have multichannel analogue outputs, which defeat the most important aspect of the format.
  19. Scytales

SACD with ESS chips. DSD or PCM?

I agree with SoundsGood64. JRR, I suggest your friend or yourself ask directly Accuphase, if this particular topic about the detail of the inner engineering of this particular player does matter for one of you : https://www.accuphase.com/contact/contact_us.html
  20. Scytales

I made a sample rate blind-test (192 vs 48)

I wish to ask you one question. The audio file you have used and provided a link through (see opening post) is said to have been published on CD in 16 bits/44.1 kHz and downloadable in FLAC 16/44.1. The recording itself has been made in June 1991 ...
Top Bottom