Search results

1. G

Wishlist for Fosi Audio

@Fosi Audio You have asked this group to weigh in on some products and the feedback has been mixed. I would like to suggest something that I think a few people would like? 1) 2.1 DAC with Balanced outputs, HDMI ARC *with HDMI CEC* You’re basically creating a DIY soundbar. HDMI ARC gets you...
  2. G

Shouldn’t we be looking more at PA speakers?

I think companies like RME, Benchmark, Genelec, Neumann, Kali, and Meyer Sound have shown us that the gear marketed genuinely for studio/professional use can offer superior performance to “audiophile” brands with the obvious tradeoffs of looks. Audiophiles have also moved from the idea of...
  3. G

Finally, proof speaker cables can affect sound with sufficient difference to meet the audible threshold...

In the same vein as this thread from @amirm, I found some data showing that different diameters of speaker cable can translate into differences in sound that reach the threshold of audibility. https://www.l-acoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/RS2015-Cable_Effects.pdf TLDR? 1) It's great...
  4. G

Klark Teknik Air Link Wireless System Review and Measurements

Klark Teknik Air Link DW20T/DW20R Quick Review and Measurements This is a quick review of the Klark Teknik Airlink DW20T/DW20R. This was purchased by me for wireless subwoofer use although it is intended for full range use. The unique feature of this system is that it has XLR balanced...
  5. G

New Schiit Yggdrasil with TI chip

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-8646#post-17800056 They claim that blind testing favors multibit DACs even though measurements fall below traditional AKM/ESS sigma delta designs. What is interesting is that this hits...
  6. G

Measured effect of op-amp rolling on a phono equalizer input-shorted noise

Op-amp rolling the stereo x LUXMAN LXV-OT10 Background Last month, I put together a Luxman "kit" phono equalizer and posted the measurements. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/luxman-lxv-ot10-phono-equalizer-amplifier-review-and-measurements.48055/ TLDR? The Luxman...
  7. G

Stereophile: McIntosh C12000 review

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-c12000-preamplifier Direct link to measurements page: https://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-c12000-preamplifier-measurements This is probably the best measuring tube pre-amp I've seen. At 5V output, it's better than 0.0004% THD+N (108 dB...
  8. G

Circle of Confusion: Database of Studios and their Monitors

Out of curiosity, I started looking up the mastering/mixing gear used at some of my favorite studios. I thought it might be good to create a master thread where we keep track of what speakers are used where. I haven't separated the recording studio from the mastering/mixing studio, which is...
  9. G

Meyer Sound Amie: First Impressions

Yes, these are already en route to @amirm for a formal spin on the Klippel NFS. $8160/pair MSRP (Sept 2023) Manufacturer's Website Specifications Frequency Response 45 Hz – 20 kHz ± 4 dB Phase Response 190 Hz – 20 kHz ± 45° Linear Peak SPL 120.5 dB with 18.5 dB crest factor (M-noise)...
  10. G

Luxman LXV-OT10 Phono Equalizer Amplifier Review and Measurements

Luxman LXV-OT10 Phono Equalizer Amplifier Review/Measurements Let's take an audio company with nearly 100 years of history. That's Luxman, which has been around since 1925. Now take one of the oldest audiophile magazines in Japan. That's stereo, which was first published in 1963 -- just...
  11. G

Yamaha CX-A5100 for sale SF Bay Area

Yamaha CX-A5100: $1100 obo + shipping https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/cx-a5100_black_u/index.html The CX-A5100 is the only AVR or pre-pro that both upmixes Dolby Pro Logic II and decodes Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Includes original boxes and all accessories...
  12. G

Withdrawn: JBL 708P for sale. SF Bay Area

Pair of JBL 708P’s with original packaging/boxes. Withdrawn. Handing them to a family member who can use them.
  13. G

Dirac/Atmos upfiring target + MultEQ-X question

The current version of Dirac doesn’t properly support upfiring Atmos speakers in that it doesn’t distinguish between the initial impulse of the speaker versus the reflection which captures the ceiling height. Whether this makes a big or small difference probably depends on your ceiling heights...
  14. G

Monolith HTP-1 AV Processor Measurements (June 2023 Firmware + User Testing)

Monolith HTP-1 AV Processor (User Measurements; August 2023) The Monolith HTP-1 was released over 3 years ago. Since its release, the HTP-1 has held steady at $4000, which means there's actually been a nearly 20% discount factoring inflation. There have been rumors that the HTP-1 will see a...
  15. G

Question re TEAC PE-505 phono pre-amp

Has anyone had experience with the TEAC PE-505? I'm really torn between getting a Schiit Mani 2 or rewiring my setup for a fully balanced setup. https://teac-usa.com/amplifiers/pe-505-phono-amplifier The marketing looks spectacular in low-gain mode (34dB MM and 54dB MC) But the only...
  16. G

Integrated Amplifier Comparison: $90 vs $9000

I continue to hear differences between amplifiers that might be expected to be inaudibly different. That is, for two high-SINAD systems that I'm not running into clipping, I hear differences. I also believe in measurements. My perspective has been consistent: "Everything that can be measured...
  17. G

Schiit Freya Noval Measurements: Taking a Different Perspective

Schiit Freya Noval Measurements: A Different Perspective The Schiit Freya S and Freya+ have been tested by @amirm. The 1 kHz dashboard summary is below. Freya S (newest) Freya+ and Freya Noval (older) Passive Mode "As good as the analyzer" "As good as the analyzer" Solid State Mode...
  18. G

Monaural Speaker Recordings - Blind Testing Six Speakers for Fun

It's time for another blind test! The recordings are not as level matched as I had hoped, but c'est la vie. This is just for entertainment not science. Background Six speakers on trial, not all in the same room. Most expensive system was $70,000. A "golfing panther" speaker A “happily...
  19. G

Seeking advice in balanced -> dual unbalanced -> balanced

I want to build an analog balanced differential version of the Bose 901 EQ box using a pair of Bose 901 EQ boxes. Background: 1) In my room, Dirac Live EQ of the Bose 901 to a Harman +10 dB curve with me sitting and holding the mic (as opposed to using a tripod) is similar enough to the factory...
  20. G

Arcam FMJ SR250 quick HDMI measurements

Arcam FMJ SR250 quick measurements The Arcam SR250 and Onkyo RZ50 are currently the cheapest ways to get 2 channels of Dirac Live - Full Bandwidth 2 channel amplification DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD support 4K HDMI switching HDMI-CEC/ARC The Arcam has already seen a very nice review by @Kal...
Top Bottom