Search results

1. Rick Sykora

Dayton Audio OPAL1 speaker launches

Not a kit but a finished speaker for $800/pair. See what you think… https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-OPAL1-Black-Pair-300-4600?quantity=1 No real measurements posted as yet. Is a passive radiator design using Dayton drivers.
  2. Rick Sykora

(SOLD): Special Edition Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A Stereo Amplifier (Scarlet and Gray)

Selling one special edition Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier. Condition is like new. Obtained it from Buckeye as part of payment for technical efforts. Was intended for trade show use last year so was done in premium paint in scarlet and gray. Has the current Buckeye feature set with one slight...
  3. Rick Sykora

Dayton knock down speaker cabinets

Noticed Parts Express finally has a replacement for the Denovo-supplied minitower cabinet. I see 2 differences. One positive is they beveled the front baffle. :) Two, the MDF appears to be different grade. :confused: Not sure about the MDF quality just yet. Still waiting on the replacement...
  4. Rick Sykora

New SB Gema DIY 3-way speaker design

Was perusing the SB Acoustics website for drivers and came across a new 3-way speaker design: https://sbacoustics.com/product/gema/ Appears aimed at the market for those pining for the days of big woofers with wide baffle cabinets.... The drivers are all pretty reasonable however it uses a...
  5. Rick Sykora

Introducing the Denotiva DIY speakers!

Well was planning to wait until a later date to announce this, but the budget Directiva project required that I exchange the Seas DXT tweeter and so it seemed the time had arrived. To date all Directiva speakers have used the DXT tweeter but as I worked on a budget version I realized that the...
  6. Rick Sykora

Budget Directiva Project

Ever since Directiva r1 specified the pricey Purifi woofer, there have been requests for a lower cost version. I have been shopping less expensive woofers and am prepping to evaluate them. The initial evaluation will continue with the Seas DXT tweeter but may consider others as it has become...
  7. Rick Sykora

FS: Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A stereo amplifier B-stock (SOLD)

Landed a nice new Buckeye Purifi amp recently and so no longer need this one. Has all the current features and is fully tested to meet stated specs. It was used to test the new input board and has seen limited duty in my bedroom system. The B-stock aspect is the case. Notably, the front has...
  8. Rick Sykora

Parts Express Orian Speaker Review

https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/parts-express-orian-3-way This kit has been out a while and had some high hopes for it as a KEF R3-like speaker, Comes up pretty shy unfortunately.
  9. Rick Sykora

FS: Slightly Used Buckeye NCx500 stereo amp (Sold)

This amp is in almost new condition and uses production boards. Was used in development testing and am replacing it with a new build with a pre-production MicroAudio SMPS so I no longer need this one. Priced to sell at $800 for someone who wants the latest Hypex NCoreX technology! One year...
  10. Rick Sykora

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

POLL IS NOW CLOSED (thread remains open for analysis and comments)... This is an updated follow-up poll to my September 2022 one. Was asked to see whether much has changed since then. Also deleted the active or passive options to simplify the poll. As mentioned previously, the forum software...
  11. Rick Sykora

FS: Purifi EVAL1 Amplifier (on hold)

Am selling an almost new Purifi EVAL1 amplifier recently built from all new parts including Hypex A400 SMPS. It is in a nice Ghent case with blue front LED and has been measured to validate performance as shown here...
  12. Rick Sykora

Recent Purifi EVAL1 build

Having just sold my Buckeye Puriifi amp, realized I had all parts available to build an EVAL1 except the case. Had been searching for a case with serious heat sinks but Ghent’s case is nice heavy aluminum and the back is cutout for the EVAL1 with nice silkscreening. I opted for the version with...
  13. Rick Sykora

FS: Buckeye Purifi 2 channel amp (SOLD)

One Buckeye amplifier for sale. Is clean and in great condition. Same features as current Buckeye amp with update for binding post tab issue. Has been used in qualification testing and lightly used in my personal reference system (is now Hypex NCx500). Free shipping within continental US and...
  14. Rick Sykora

Great DIY speaker builds (for newbies) to learn about design?

Have been asked and am sure others may have some good suggestions for beginners that want to learn about designing speakers. It is a bit dated and, despite not having built myself, a great passive build is the Dayton BR-1. The kit is reasonably priced and available with or without cabinets. The...
  15. Rick Sykora

Does your house wiring supply enough power for your audio system?

The short answer here for most people is yes. Am creating this thread as a home to consolidate relevant content scattered across other threads. Thank you to @AdamG247 for helping with some of the consolidation! Not every post gets moved, so will have to provide links instead. See these...
  16. Rick Sykora

Is that company making good products?

Am often asked whether I think a company is making good products. In the objective environment of ASR, you might think this is simple answer, but many seem to struggle with the difference between being a good company and every product being good technically. As an automation product manager at...
  17. Rick Sykora

FS: Brand new Hypex NCore NC502MP 4 Channel Amplifier (SOLD)

This amp was built from all new OEM parts using black Ghent case. Power is 500 watts per channel or 1000 watts in bridged mode (4 ohms). It can be operated as a 2, 3 or 4 channel amplifier. Fully tested and will ship with proof of performance for all channels. Includes one year parts (Hypex)...
  18. Rick Sykora

Active bass module plans (for Directiva and more)

Ok, almost have my table saw cleared and speaker test stand back in place. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have a few drivers already and am contemplating how to deploy them for many options to suit different needs. First of all, do not expect to use any drivers much larger than 8-inch ones. I...
  19. Rick Sykora

Measuring 2-channel Buckeye Purifi Amplifier Performance

With Amir busy with house repairs, @Buckeye Amps and I discussed whether I might share some of my efforts to measure his Purifi amplifier as a stop gap until Amir can do so. A couple of disclaimers here as I am NOT an experienced electrical engineer and my QuantAsylum test rig is NOT as capable...
  20. Rick Sykora

Directiva driver candidate discussion

Initially kept Directiva driver discussions within the design team, but they still get to make the final call. Since folks like to discuss their favorite drivers, giving it its own thread should keep the main thread tidier too. Am finding out about new vendors constantly. Some very interesting...
Top Bottom