Search results

1. O

Listening SACD with DMP6 eversolo

Nope. Due to the copy protection rules/measures that are part of the SACD spec external optical drives should not be able to read the SACD layer of discs. The DMP A6 can play the DSD files though, if you manage to rip them from the discs- even multichannel
  2. O

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

In regards to the Atmos comments, regarding music from streaming services on streamers- as far as I know Atmos/spatial from Apple Music is only active on the Apple TV 4K, in terms of stuff you'd connect to a surround speaker system Amazon Music was exclusive to Sonos devices, if you wanted to...
  3. O

Amp to replace my Halfer Transnova 9505

Apollon is the popular EU brand, I have a pair of their Purifi monoblocks that have been serving me well
  4. O

Amp to replace my Halfer Transnova 9505

Yeah, those 9505 could pump out some heat. I have two in storage and a Fosgate Audiophonics FAA500.2 aka the 9505 with a different faceplate and a 12v trigger. Initially I went with an Icepower amp for bass, a pair of Wyred4Sound SX-1000. Great performance with no notable issues at a fraction of...
  5. O

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer @Purité Audio

This was the key to whether or not I would buy, so I tested it out when they finally made it to a local dealer: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/eversolo-dmp-a6-streamer-review.44198/post-1648480 Long story short, it works. Multichannel flac and multichannel dsd files in...
  6. O

Maybe Amir should review movie theaters

Supposedly IMAX theaters have a mic rig set up permanently and run a diagnostic sweep daily to make sure they're still in spec, with the results being sent to HQ to be analyzed there, outside of local control. In regards to levels/volume, that's part of the spec and can't be changed locally. I...
  7. O

The Sweetvinyl SugarCube - Analog heresy

There are three main features: click and pop removal, phono stage, and recording. They all do the click and pop removal then you can pick if you want a phono stage added in, if you want the recording feature, or both. I guess there's also the "Plus", which is basically for those who feel the...
  8. O

British Highschoolers try Popeyes for the first time

That sounds just like https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-french-fries-recipe. Similarly, in a former life in restaurant kitchens, I played around with making fries before giving in and just buying frozen. I feel freezing made a bigger difference for convenience than quality. An under rated...
  9. O

A little misleading, sure. I'm not sure at all, but as I understand it: I ripped the Blu Ray discs with MakeMKV and pulled all the separate audio tracks. I've been meaning to get around to comparing the two multichannel tracks to see if there's any meaningful differences then deleting one. The...
  10. O

Yup, it's making its way to dealers now. Saturday Audio Exchange just put out an update July 4th that their shipment finally came in (both standard and Master edition), so I swung by to check it out tonight. The joy of local dealers- they were super helpful and accommodating. Both DSD and HDMI...
  11. O

HT design around Magneplanar?

Sounds about right, my mains are about 5' into the room, listening position is about a foot and half to two feet off the back wall, so that means about 5' to speakers. They're 7' apart so they have a good 5' to sidewalls (yes, I like big wide soundstage). I'm currently crossed over at 80hz, used...
  12. O

HT design around Magneplanar?

Feels like this thread was made for me to respond to, haha. In my current system I have 20s as my mains, CCR (plus DWM) center, 1.6 surrounds, (temporary, to be replaced by MMC-2 in storage) Mini Maggies in the rear, along with two Rythmik F18 subs. Assorted thoughts: My current (temporary)...
  13. O

Dutch&Dutch add ‘uBacch’ to their 8C active loudspeaker

Can't help but wonder if Bacch and D&D being neighbors at Axpona set the wheels in motion, or if this was already cooking. Very interesting implications of Bacch not being locked to Mac
  14. O

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Regarding digital volume control, the MiniDSP SHDs should work just fine. I got the regular instead of the Studio just in case I wanted to switched things up down the road in my secondary system. My primary system also has a digital volume control, though I don't usually think about it that way...
  15. O

I did a solid 7 hours at what felt like a brisk pace and didn't even make it through half the show. I'm guessing that the granite speakers would be the Acora brand that everyone else seems to be wowed by and I just don't get. Agreed that the Salon 2s were lackluster in that room. Did you get...
  16. O

No harm in checking things out, right? The set of Jubilees at Axpona last year were way better than the Cornwalls I'd heard but that's a low bar to say the least. As ever I note that show conditions are usually bad and not the best for critical evaluation but I just can't see the Jubilees as a...
  17. O

There has been some grumbling before about this being a speaker thread when other stuff gets dragged in, like room treatment and electronics, which is fair enough. However, now that the OP has dived in I'll indulge myself again and plug DEQX. There are a number of processing/correction products...
  18. O

I'll chime in with a negative take on Joseph Audio- the Pulsars were possibly the brightest speaker's I'd ever heard when I ran into them at Axpona. It was to the extent that something was hopefully awry on the electronics side, or I'd just be puzzled. Even then, I'm still confused that no one...
  19. O

Plenty of overlap with my impressions. What was the Billie Eilish track you listened to on the Salon 2s? A few comments- The Kef Uni-Q tweeter has consistently underwhelmed me but the Blades have been noticeably better. I'd put them around the Kii 3s for solid competent performance that's not...
  20. O

Since he asked I'll indulgently ramble about my go-to demo tracks Softer singer/songwriter-y stuff More rocking stuff: Several tracks from Fleetwood Mac's The Dance, especially The Chain and Tusk, which almost fall into the next category Delightful obnoxious bass Crack Baby...
Top Bottom