Search results

1. 3

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

A good specimen of Klippel and Toole-based design, but it's hard to get excited about an 81 dB speaker whose bass doubles like crazy when powered up. I hope that emphasizing "in-room sensitivity" doesn't become a trend, especially in attempts to rehabilitate units with low anechoic numbers.
  2. 3

Speakers from last century that you love

I remember coveting these as in high school in the Sixties. They were being demonstrated by a local shop at the time, was really impressed with the bass (even though it was mostly playing The Tijuana Brass). Massive woofer in these.
  3. 3

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

I don't see the wisdom of wrapping a blanket around an encapsulated power supply that relies on ambient convection cooling.
  4. 3

Noise is the ballgame. These days THD is swamped by transducers. Anyone using pro components, especially compression drivers, realizes this.
  5. 3

The THD in the A70 is not superior, but still quite transparent. The most significant improvement, besides load-independence, is noise performance. This A70 is 9 dB quieter than the V3.
  6. 3

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

That Sony receiver looks even better than the $200 Yamaha recently reviewed. Fifty bucks less, plus a Phono preamp.
  7. 3

Also note that, in this modest example of PFFB, there is negligible reduction in load-dependent VHF response.
  8. 3

Those curious about Texas Instruments' earlier work with PFFB might check out this Application Note: https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa788a/slaa788a.pdf
  9. 3

These issues are so minor Erin had to resort to a graphical magnifying glass to make a point. Which might be relevant some day when we see loudspeaker measurements also utilizing 0.1 dB grids.
  10. 3

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

I don't think the noisy computer would have as much impact on the SINAD as the existing power supply artifacts.
  11. 3

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Lookimg at that clump of large electrolytics I thought there must be a power amplifier in there somewhere. You know, like a pony...
  12. 3

No. This would be superfluous for a person who has everything. This is the gift you give to someone new to home stereo to short-circuit any erstwhile hobbyist "upgrade" urges so they can simplify and focus on their music.
  13. 3

It will rock a pair of Polk T50s a lot more, with enough money left over to fund an Eclipse trip for many.
  14. 3

An external supply would have been useful for the earlier Wiim Amps that exhibited p.s. coil noise -- just replace the supply. And the Amp itself could have been half its current size if designed that way. I have a feeling that reducing this Amp's size and weight from its current heft might...
  15. 3

I have yet to meet the mortal who can detect a 1 dB change at 20 kHz.
  16. 3

Polk ES60 Tower Speaker Review

Cymbals can exhibit lots of peak energy above 5 kHz, but their response is damped enough that the power is low.
  17. 3

Shouldn't be an issue unless your gear did away with the Treble control.
  18. 3

Fosi Audio ZA3 Amplifier Review

Yes, it needs a DPDT relay to switch, for example, the C OUT pin between the C output filter and the A OUT, and the D OUT between the D output filter and the B OUT. Additionally the M2 pin needs to be switched from GND to VDD, probably by the MONO switch that activates the relay. You end up...
  19. 3

Oh, geez. Do I have to scan my old JBL Aquarius ad now?
  20. 3

A broadside against an entire brand says more about the commenter than that brand's specific product, and perhaps would find more of an audience over at AVS. Regarding the brand Polk, it may be worthwhile to mention their inexpensive T50 towers, which my good friend bought a few years ago for...
Top Bottom