Search results

1. Koloth

Advice wanted: Taking over an HiFi Store

I would not do it. I worked in one of the stores on that map for years. If you want an actual business, pursue the high-end of the market: store opens on prior appointment only, lots of project management/home installations, not a lot of volume, small margins for errors, perhaps four big orders...
  2. Koloth

Confused with the purpose of DAC

Perhaps there is some kind of equalizer engaged boosting low frequencies through the default sound device and once you plug in the external dac its disengaged.
  3. Koloth

Headphone Amplifier WITH Microphone Support Looking For Options

Or you buy a 3$ adapter and split the mic- and headphone-signals *before* going into a dedicated usb DAC/headamp and plugging the in-line-mic directly into the mic-in of the tower. It wouldnt be the tidiest solution - but certainly the simplest and cheapest, thus freeing you to use any headphone...
  4. Koloth

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

Perhaps a decent integrated av-receiver with bridgeable power stages might suit some use cases discussed here. You'd still pay for three power stages (in the case of a 7.1 receiver) without using them though. (Btw to continue this discussion unbothered, one can click on sarumbears name and...
  5. Koloth

Unusual Speaker Designs

Its all good guys, I found the wood!
  6. Koloth

Unusual Speaker Designs

I still feel like I must have missed something, but... it actually appears to be sold that way. lol. https://www.pure-emotion-audio.de/der-lautsprecher/ A cool 100'000 euros. wtf lol.
  7. Koloth

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

SVS Prime Wireless Soundbase Pro Argon SA1 More options that would fit most criteria except probably for the variable crossover/highpass filter. On the other hand they are quite inexpensive and well equipped on the streaming side of things. (@sarumbear please dont feel required to respond to...
  8. Koloth

Subwoofer and a suspended floor over a pool

Sounds to me like you've got all the prerequisites for a monstrous folded horn subwoofer right under your homr theater :)
  9. Koloth

Rose Audio RA180 Integrated

I really like the inclusion of a proper highpass/lowpass potentiometer for sub integration.
  10. Koloth

Small Android Phones

Asus Zenfone 8 ?
  11. Koloth

Worst academic writing of the year award.

I'm perfectly honest here: Embarassingly I have no clue what I just read. They seem to be interested in materials generating oxygen when exposed to long-wavelength-light? Given *my* background I understood more of the STEM-education paragraph than of this one. (Altough, to reiterate, I have full...
  12. Koloth

While I maintain my disdain for this particular piece of writing, I would also like to point out that most scientific literature is highly esoteric. No one would expect to be able to just pick up and understand a journal article on chemistry, nuclear physics, game theory, etc. without...
  13. Koloth

Why do I get the impression that you're desperately trying to make this a political debate about the papers contents, which is not what we're talking about? :)
  14. Koloth

(Since I have never engaged with the theory of STEM education before and have no desire to read the rest of this ****** paper, the following reading may well be mistaken :) 1. paragraph: The authors fear that usual ways of teaching STEM implicitly reinforce certain problematic dominance...
  15. Koloth

Since I havent read the entire paper I cant judge if there truly arent any arguments. I wouldnt be surprised if that turned out to be the case, however its not unusual at all for the entry paragraphs of a text to be devoid of argument.
  16. Koloth

Dont get me wrong: The writing is atrocious, especially for, what I assume, are native speakers, and these people clearly have a major theoretical screw loose. However I thought it was comparably easy and straightforward to follow (given the Butler comparison) and I get what they're saying in...
  17. Koloth

Advance Acoustic X-cd5

Hey, I used to work with a retailer selling Advanced Acoustic (up to around 6 years ago). They were by far the leader in returns / repairs. The worst were their CD-players and all-in-one devices, especially those with tubes. They look attractive, but it's really all China-made stuff. That being...
  18. Koloth

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Ayon Audio Black Hawk (released 2013) 12'' woofer, 5.5'' mid, AMT
Top Bottom