Search results

1. W

How a subwoofer affects soundstage?

They say that, but in practice I found you could determine to a degree where the sound was coming from. If the sub was situated totally off the stereo field, and well off relative to where you sit in the room. I’m not sure exactly where I cut the DSP off in the end, but it was ‘a lot’ lower...
  2. W

SoundArtist ("BBC") LS3/5A Speaker Review

Thanks for the info. And you very much belong here. Science is meant to be continually challenged, and your opinion is as valid as anyone's. Glad you've found a speaker you really enjoy, it's good to hear! Would like to hear those myself one day.
  3. W

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

Yes, ok they have multiple drivers that fire in different directions. This is something that has been done before, it’s not new. Plus DSP’s are not new, any ‘competent’ DIY’er could do something similar with multiple amps and DSPs and still not get anywhere near their price tag. It is a...
  4. W

It’s still an illusion, no matter how you package it, or for that matter put as many DSP’s and amps on it as B&O have done here. Not forgetting the exorbitant price tag they add to it to sell you these speakers. That was an interesting video to watch actually, all propaganda of course and...
  5. W

Despite my perhaps pessimistic view and choice of words, I totally agree with you. It is a wonderful experience at best and as you say, some seem to create much better images than others.
  6. W

Exactly this. It's nothing more than an illusion. Conjured up by the brain to 'make 'some' sense' of the situation in front of you. It happens to be music playing generally, and most of us associate this with perhaps the setting of that environment and the way it was recorded, and there'll be...
  7. W

New Wondom ADAU1701 DSP Unit

Yeah they were at one time I think the only game in town as you say. There seem to be more creeping on the market all the time though, which is a very good thing! I'm really interested in these low costs ones. Here's another, if not quite as cheap...
  8. W

What are the things you wish you knew when starting out in this hobby?

If only we knew that! Would have saved so much and not have piles of media
  9. W

SoundArtist ("BBC") LS3/5A Speaker Review

Still they are better value for money than spending 2.5k on a set of Rogers, Falcon / Whoever!
  10. W

Rogers LS3/5a (BBC) Speaker Review

He does youtube as well. Here's a subjective review. Not of the Rogers but same speakers, they should all sound the same in theory.
  11. W

It’s hard to rate this speaker at the top of the thread here, as they do actually sound pretty good in use. The design I believe is limited but was still a bit of a sweet spot for sealed speakers, and they do reproduce vocals very nicely, and perhaps one of the standards which many other...
  12. W

They are nice sounding speakers around the vocals, but these speakers are a complete rip-off at that price! £300 would be more realistic, how they continue to sell at this price amazes me.
  13. W

Are MBL omnidirectional speakers worth the $$$?

Those B&Os remind me of the standing magic carpet from Disneys Alddin :D
  14. W

Anybody Out There Who Hears a Difference Between 320 kbps MP3 and Red Book CD? What Differences Do You Hear?

There is a slight resolution difference to my ear, it’s quite pronounced when you A/B it I feel, but, I’ve encoded most of my discs to 320kbs to storage and it’s more than good enough! In fact I only listen to files these days, I am really not bothered by the Nth amount that may be missing. I do...
  15. W

Interesting reading. Quite right as well to say, not convincing someone of something because it’s how you see it. I’m similar to you and like the ‘realistic’ sound production as well, I play music myself and have played live so I kind of have some experience of live production. The thing is...
  16. W

This is it. You get a solo singer in a room, they are usually singing at you with perhaps reflections from walls. The way these speakers are set up, a singer would have to have a 360 degree mouth which would sound quite peculiar in practice, especially if there was more than one. The...
  17. W

Perhaps they were just the best speakers suited to that room and the equipment, that’s all. I’ve heard it before, Shahinian owners say those speakers are the closest thing to live music ever, yet others listen to them and say they are rubbish. It’s just a different approach to sound...
  18. W

Have to agree with Keith on this. Omni speakers are nothing more than marketing BS in tempting consumers out of more of their hard-earned cash with another gimmick. You can point your drive units anyway you like and claim they are omnidirectional, but it doesn’t change the fact they are plain...
Top Bottom