Search results

1. Not Insane

Balanced vs Unbalanced Interconnects

Having been in a few bands, I deal with XLR a lot. One day I finally decided to get to the bottom of why XLR is used in pro audio so much. I was quite surprised by what I found out. To whit, XLR is better for long cable runs (common in pro audio). For short runs it is irrelevant.
  2. Not Insane

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

Having been in a few bands, I have a PA and I also use a PA amp for my bass amplification. Both amps are Crown class D. The one for the bass is only 500 watts, bridged, and the PA one is around a thousand, bridged. But I'm thinking of using one of them for my home system, and continuing to use...
  3. Not Insane

Do "audio enthusiasts" like many of us here at ASR consider audio to be a hobby?

I'm active enough in it to call it a hobby. If you collect something beyond what is "typical" it could be called a hobby. If you tinker with tools of a certain purpose, it becomes a hobby. A simple example: If I fix my vintage 1960 tractor, it's not a hobby. If I rebuild it and repaint the...
  4. Not Insane

How much amplifier power is required?

Heh. I used to work as a sales engineer for compuware (mostly mainframe software). Our software was much simpler than something like Microsoft Word or any PC operating system. But it cost millions per copy with a hefty annual fee (sometimes seven figures). The reason: We didn't sell millions of...
  5. Not Insane

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

Thank you! I actually have that very soundcraftsman amp (the one in the middle). I just temporarily retired it because it picked up a REALLY bad hum. On a side note, A friend of mine still has that Hitachi receiver. I'm guessing this may be why I was confusing the two designations (G vs H).
  6. Not Insane

How much amplifier power is required?

I ran a bridged crown amp (around 1200 watts) into my 2x12 bass cabinet once at an outdoor gig on Mercer Island. There was no wall behind my bass cab and I was competing with two screaming guitar players. We were playing stranglehold and I was using the chorus. If you know that song, you know...
  7. Not Insane

Ha! that's what I get for working from memory. :) I must have been converting it to "H" for "Hitachi".
  8. Not Insane

The claim to fame of the "class H" amplifiers, IIRC was that they could give a pretty solid "fairly continuous" power output double that of their RMS power. So mine was "200 WPC", but really "400 WPC." On a side note, and demonstrating my stupidity at the time, around the turn of the century...
  9. Not Insane

Fast Colors

It was completely off my radar. I watched it a few days ago and thought it was actually pretty good. There were a few implausible things right out of the gate, but my expectations were pretty low so I looked past them. I'm avoiding being specific so I don't reveal any spoilers.
  10. Not Insane

My Hitachi HMA8500 is class H. I think the H stands for something, though.
  11. Not Insane

I happened on that article about a year ago. The most fascinating thing I found about it is that you can't post it on a certain other audio site without the thread getting deleted. I don't know if it is the article or the arguments it creates. It is one of those rare instances where the...
  12. Not Insane

I've not been here that long, but I read quite a few threads before I became a member. I find this place to be, relative to many other sites, a very nice crowd. This and Stevehoffman.tv are my two favorites because of that attribute. In fact, that's why I became a member. And everybody knows...
  13. Not Insane

But you have to be a "paying" member to go there, I believe. I get all that stuff off my chest at the political forum in Harmonycentral.com. That's where you go for the "full half hour argument". :)
  14. Not Insane

High Energy Density Lithium Sulphur Battery Development

I want an electric car that comes out of the factory with a lifetime charge. :D
  15. Not Insane

Usually I could just slip the guy my entrenchment tool.
  16. Not Insane

I miss our old fireworks displays at Communist Martyr's high school. :( The guys at Morse Science were all jerks, but the girls were cute.
  17. Not Insane

I get that, but it seems to be more of a problem there than here. I think it has to do with what I discussed in my post before this one - the discussions are too much like a discussion between a husband and wife in a bad marriage. They are less civil than the same discussion may be in a good...
  18. Not Insane

ABSOFRICKINLUTELY! :) I collected all their albums in the previous century and downloaded their digital stuff. Give me immortality, or give me death!
  19. Not Insane

I am a member there as well as Audiocircle, Vinylengine and Stefehoffman.tv. Each one has a different flavor than the others. I was "hard banned" from Vinylengine several times over a one year period. That site is the closest thing to the "soup nazi" on the internet I've ever experienced...
  20. Not Insane

I see a huge opportunity! :D
Top Bottom