Search results

1. S

How to compensate for center speaker that isn’t ear level?

My understanding is that we mainly perceive change in height of a sound source as tonal shift. If a center speaker must be placed below ear level, is there any way to calculate a compensation EQ?
  2. S

8341A off center drivers

Is it normal for the drivers to be off center? On Speaker 2, the foam surround at bottom is a little bent from the driver pushing against enclosure. Speaker 1 Speaker 1 Close Up Speaker 2 Speaker 2 Close Up
  3. S

Perlisten S7t Speaker Review and Measurements (Audioholics)

Perlisten S7t was reviewed and measured by James Larson for Audioholics. Full Article: https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/perlisten-s7t
  4. S

Recommendations for acoustic treatments? Mixed use room for music, gaming, and movies.

I'm in need of some acoustic treatments for my media room. What kind of strategy would you recommend? How much % absorption, scattering, diffusion? Where to place everything? The more I read, the more confused I am. I think I'd prefer too dead more than too live, mainly because I listen to lots...
  5. S

Revel F206 vs. Revel F226Be vs. Genelec 8341A

Has anyone compared these or similar? Would there be much sound quality difference? Listening distance would be 7-10 ft. I originally purchased the Genelecs as computer speakers in a rented bedroom. Towers weren't really an option. Now with a house I'm considering a full 7.1.4 system with...
  6. S

XMC-1 is trying to destroy my speakers. What to upgrade to?

About to throw the towel on my Emotiva XMC-1. The USB connection is unstable and it is trying to destroy my speakers. A few times it has sent loud popping signal like there is a power surge. I clicked mute button in Windows and it sent a high pitched click to my speakers. After that, the power...
  7. S

A/V room seating

I'm planning to add 2 seats to my A/V room and have not had much luck with these requirements: - Single reclining seat or curved three seat reclining sofa - Ergonomic focus - Headrest can be adjusted for laying back - Headrest can be adjusted or removed to not block ear level surrounds -...
  8. S

Early reflection precedence effect

Do all the early reflections get fused together as one or can a single reflection be noticeable? Example is a speaker with ideal total early reflection response, but the sidewall first reflections are not that even.
  9. S

Headphone system for video game binaural audio

What would you recommend as a headphone system for video games? I want to reproduce the audio as accurately as possible, including timbre and bass extension, using binaural audio. Open to using external components as well like subwoofers. Also curious how the recommended systems will compare to...
  10. S

Subwoofer behind seat

Would there be any sound quality downsides to putting the subwoofer behind the seat? Assuming there aren't any issues with room modes. Considering this placement to keep the volume down a bit.
  11. S

How does speaker distance to wall impact imaging and soundstage?

I often see the advice to pull speakers far away from the wall to improve imaging and soundstage. However I could never come to an understanding for why.
  12. S

Constant directivity vs. smoothly increasing directivity

For example you are comparing two speakers: Genelec 8351B+W371A and Genelec 8351B. Both are equalized to have similar in-room frequency response below 1khz, including the bass extension. Assuming distortion and output capability is not an issue, what would be the main differences in sound?
  13. S

The Audibility of Distortion at Bass Frequencies (Audioholics article)

Saw this article while shopping for subwoofers: https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/audibility-of-distortion-at-bass Anyone know of CEA-2010 like bass tests being run on mainstream speakers? I'm curious how different kind of speaker configurations would perform. For example, 2 way vs...
  14. S

How do great sounding domestic listening rooms measure?

Speaker spinorama preference seems to be well understood in general, but what about the rooms? Is RT60 suitable for assessing liveliness of small room? What is the preference for RT60 curve? Should the curve be flat from 20hz to 20khz, or downward slope, etc? Do most prefer similar value for...
  15. S

Suggestions for mixed use surround sound system?

The room is enclosed, 2700 cu ft (21x13x10), and vinyl plank floor. Viewing distance will be around 7 feet. Aiming for 4.1 and upgrade to 7.1.4 next year. Screen: LG C9 65" (purchased) Front left & right: Genelec 8341A (purchased) Processor: Emotiva XMC-1 (purchased) Treatment: GIK Acoustics...
  16. S

In theory, would it be better to place Genelec Ones vertically or horizontally?

2nd measurement is horizontal off axis, 3rd measurement is vertical off axis. The horizontal off axis is smoother outside of +/- 30 degree window, but has less directivity control at lower frequencies. What kind of differences should I watch out for in blind test?
Top Bottom