Search results

1. BobbyTimmons

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

Most of the variability found in DACs and amplifiers wouldn't correlate with findings in blind listening tests. Research even shows lower order distortion can be a good thing for some ('Recent studies have clearly shown the human PREFERENCE for THD distortion of low order or at higher...
  2. BobbyTimmons

Ishiwata Toe In (Extreme Toe In), have you tried this?

Ishiwata toe in or extreme toe in where the speakers cross over in front of the listening position. Made famous by the audio industry legend Ken Ishiwata of Denon/Marantz. Ken Ishiwata used it not only to tame untreated rooms during Marantz demos where he would stream songs from his iPhone. It...
  3. BobbyTimmons

In the good old days gentleman dealer used blind testing to save audiophiles' money!

'Many years ago, with my first couple of months wages in the bank, I went to see Thomas Heinitz in Moscow Road, Bayswater, then the top audio equipment shop in London. I wanted a tyrntable and was determined to spend as much as I could. Mt Heinitz sat me down in front of the six foot tall...
  4. BobbyTimmons

Why do you think a few members have an 'alcoholic anonymous' vibe towards the audiophile community? It seems a harmless hobby as far as things go?

I'm not much of an old hand in the audiophile community. Audio Science Review was my starting off point. I've noticed some of the more experienced members have an 'alcoholic anonymous' vibe towards the audiophile community they were formerly a part of. They talk about their former life as an...
  5. BobbyTimmons

What's your normal listening distance and db level at that distance at home?

What's your normal listening distance at home and and the db level at that distance at home in terms of the average and the peaks? Be aware that peaks are not always caught by cell phone apps. Does it vary depending on what you are playing?
  6. BobbyTimmons

What are the three most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?

What are the most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?
  7. BobbyTimmons

Female audiophiles on YouTube, sign the audiophile community could be becoming more diverse?

Looking on YouTube perhaps things are changing and the audiophile community is becoming more diverse than some of our forums give the impression of? On YouTube there are some female audiophiles. At least they are less rare than the Loch Ness monster.
  8. BobbyTimmons

McIntosh tour of their manufacturing in Binghamton, New York (YouTube, 4 parts, about 20 minutes total)

Tour of the McIntosh factory in Binghamton, New York. YouTube, 4 parts, about 20 minutes total. Built in 1956, this factory is located at 2 Chambers Street in Binghamton, NY. According to the video they only produce between 50-100 products a month. Part I - circuit board manufacturing...
  9. BobbyTimmons

Quebec audiophile shows off his new Hi-Fi system, very expensive set up

Apart from bragging rights and visual symmetry the separate 1200 watt amp for each speaker could seem over the top. In all fairness they give his system an attractive visual symmetry. The oversized heatsinks and dials on the amps give an almost dangerous aesthetic to the system hinting at the...
  10. BobbyTimmons

Anyone attenuate high frequencies because of literal ear pain from instruments like trumpets?

On many albums (with Mark Wilder remastered Miles Davis albums being the worst offenders for me at the moment) I always have to heavily attenuate the mid-high frequencies (by which I mean anything above around C5), to avoid ear pain. This is not because any aesthetic preference, but rather...
  11. BobbyTimmons

What height do you prefer to have the tweeters on your speakers when in listening position? At ear level, above the ear level, or below the ear level?

What height do you prefer to have the tweeters or your speakers? At ear level, above the ear level, or below the ear level? I'd been led to believe that the speakers should be at a height where your ears should be between the tweeter and the mid/low frequency driver. So that would imply...
  12. BobbyTimmons

Anyone find it far more rewarding listening to real physical CDs on a CD player, rather than using FLACs? And why do you find this?

I've spent the last couple of years ripping a lot more of my CDs (around another 1000 classical and jazz CDs) to FLAC. However, I sometimes wonder why I bother. I've re-discovered in the last months that is it far more enjoyable to just play the original CDs on a CD player, than sending them...
  13. BobbyTimmons

What $200 or sub $200 DACs could you recommend with balanced outputs, and reliable build quality?

What $200 or sub $200 DACs could you recommend with balanced outputs, and reliable build quality, and/or guarantee policies? (I.e. perhaps not something from Topping, which seems to be unreliable and prone to breaking down according to reports and reviews in places like Amazon). I'm interested...
  14. BobbyTimmons

What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-$250 range? What headphones do you have?

What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-$250 range? For a person who listens mainly to classical music and jazz music? I had a pair of Grado SR-80, but they broke after a few months - so personally, I'll avoid Grados. I already have Sennheiser HD 599 (for use with my...
  15. BobbyTimmons

Do you prefer floorstanding speakers or bookshelf speakers? Which do you find sound generally better at the same pricepoint?

Do you prefer floorstanding speakers or bookshelf speakers? Which do you find sound generally better at the same pricepoint, and ceteris paribus? Also what speakers and brands in particular have impressed you?
  16. BobbyTimmons

What interconnects do you use in your systems? What do you think about Van Damme ones?

Hi I've been reading this forum for around a year. What interconnects do you use in your systems? What do you think about Van Damme ones? I just ordered some ones based on Van Damme instrument cable. I'm hoping they'll be fit for purpose (i.e. long lasting and sufficiently shielded).
Top Bottom