Search results

1. BobbyTimmons

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

You could replace the paintings in the museum with digital screens which look the same. Nobody would know and they would have the same 'compelling visual experience'. Just given the choice plenty of people prefer the images stored in analogue. It's a hobby so it's their money, their choice.
  2. BobbyTimmons

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

Oftentimes Revel speakers have measurements in their frequency response and some other things that correlate to average listener preferences in blind listening tests. Genelec are tools for music production, their flat frequency response is part of their fit for purpose as a tool. There isn't...
  3. BobbyTimmons

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

Measuring SINAD is like measuring the roundness of water pipes with a coordinate measuring machine to find out if they meet the spec. Up to a point the roundness of water pipes importantly correlates with their performance. Beyond that point it's uncorrelated. The world's most perfectly round...
  4. BobbyTimmons

Thanks you can contribute to the topic not only add to the pile of pedantic complaints about the "citation format" of the quote in the opening post you and couple others have been cluttering up the thread with. Remember I can't edit a single punctuation mark in the first post without facing...
  5. BobbyTimmons

Audiophile hobby is a scam?

Almost all DACs are transparent including your iPhone.
  6. BobbyTimmons

Financial status of YouTube reviewer

With special training she might be able to get close to 100%. It's still a good demo of how the differences are hardly noticeable even for consumers with the world's most musically advanced hearing.
  7. BobbyTimmons

If depends if other things are equal. If you have a choice between two products. One has lower THD+N than the other both inaudibly. How much weight should you give to that? Probably not much as it makes no difference to what you hear. It depends if you think the products are equal in more...
  8. BobbyTimmons

At no point did I format a quote written in all caps "as if it was peer-reviewed science journal". Saying I formatted the quote as if it is a "peer-reviewed science journal" is a sign you don't understand how citations work. Quoting someone doesn't mean they were writing a peer-reviewed...
  9. BobbyTimmons

You ought to know there was absolutely nothing wrong with citing a quotation by using quotation marks and writing the names of the people you quoted in brackets . There's nothing wrong with using quotations as "evidence" when you are writing a forum post. I'm wondering where you learnt...
  10. BobbyTimmons

Aiyima’s TPA3255 PFFB based amplifier, coming soon

Adding tone controls ought not to lower sound quality in an audible way.
  11. BobbyTimmons

Aiyima’s TPA3255 PFFB based amplifier, coming soon

It's wonderful when a company experiments with new designs. Why don't you include tone controls?
  12. BobbyTimmons

I was able to get down to around 54 on the test by listening with headphones at an uncomfortably high volume, concentrating on one drum beat in the intro. My ears were ringing afterwards. We were able to A/B as many times as we wanted knowing the distortion was there. There is no way I would...
  13. BobbyTimmons

SINAD is THD+N. Part of SINAD is THD. Part of THD are lower order harmonics which are masked and possibly even correlate with listener preferences. So the real number for what could be audible is at least lower than the THD+N as it includes those components. Although as you say not the dominant...
  14. BobbyTimmons

The additive sum of very small numbers are still very small numbers. Most home users won't run more than a DAC and an amplifier. Almost none of the modern products tested have measurements which indicate it would add up to audibility for those of us not blessed with the mythical golden ears. A...
  15. BobbyTimmons

It's like having a heavily contaminated water source then making decisions about which tap to buy in your kitchen based off of how far below the detectable threshold it adds contaminants to the water. After which drinking the water from a cup which imparts orders of magnitude more contamination...
  16. BobbyTimmons

Have a look at some of the replies about a $500 Denon amplifier. Many assume around 0.01% THD+N would be audible enough to spoil their enjoyment of the music. There are claims to the effect they could only use the amplifier for 'casual listening/background duty'. Someone laments 'Meets spec...
  17. BobbyTimmons

You may be older so can rule out those frequencies. The volume on test tones rolls off at lot at 18 kHz for me. 10-15kHz certainly has an effect on the music. Whether a 0.5 dB difference would be audible is another question that needs to be tested. Why would I 'not understand the noise part of...
  18. BobbyTimmons

Compounding small numbers still ends up with small numbers. 8th generation ADC/DAC loop vs the original.....can you hear it?
  19. BobbyTimmons

There's plenty of snake oil in the high end part of the industry. Just a $500 amplifier from Marantz, Denon or Yamaha is probably not snakeoil. There are posts on here saying they can't buy them, they are 'woeful' as their distortion is 0.01%. You read people saying 'Unreal how poorly most...
  20. BobbyTimmons

The hiss is audible on actives because of the high gain setting, it's not very common in passive systems. That's usually a complaint with repurposed studio monitors which have a high gain setting. We all know noise is part of SINAD I'm wondering why you wrote that in bold with three question...
Top Bottom