Search results

1. B

Revel F35 Speaker Review

I bought a pair of F36 based on Amir's F35 review, because of the slight low-end extension and I wanted more air moving. I couldn't do a comparison because nobody around here had Revel speakers in a showroom (we're just a little backwater of 7.7 million people here in the SF bay area). Mine are...
  2. B

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

A free version called MinimServer Lite is available in Synology's Package Center so you can test drive it. I tried it on my DS218+. For my basic needs, I didn't notice any significant difference from Synology's server, so I reverted to the latter.
  3. B

Heads up: as currently implemented, the 12 V trigger voltage lowers after 2.5 minutes of silence, and this cannot be changed or disabled. So if you pause music or a movie (e.g., to take a phone call, go to the bathroom, etc), the amp will turn off. When you resume playback, you'll miss a couple...
  4. B

I returned my WiiM Pro Plus today. Why? 1. The 12v trigger lowers the voltage, turning off my power amp, after 2.5 minutes, and this setting can't be changed by the user. This makes it useless for me. On December 27, I posted a feature request in the WiiM forums that it be user-adjustable...
  5. B

Sony MDRV6 Headphone Review (with/without BRAINWAVZ Pad)

I always thought that the V6 was the consumer version of the 7506, the latter being the "pro" version. I don't recall where I first heard this, but possibly from a recording engineer colleague. When I started recording at home many years ago, I bought a few pair of 7506 because there were...
  6. B

Can anyone point to actual proof that AirPlay 2 converts from ALAC to AAC? I've seen this mentioned several times online, without any evidence.
  7. B

I don't think so. I have a MacStudio, iPhone 13, 10.5" iPad Pro, and Apple TV 4k (all software is current). Neither the iPad or iPhone appear as Airplay 2 receivers. Rogue Amoeba's AirFoil can turn iOS/iPadOS devices into Airplay receivers, but only when streaming from AirFoil on a mac, if I...
  8. B

I've seen forum posts (like this) before, saying that Airplay 2 converts lossless streams to 256kbbs AAC format, but none has offered any evidence. What's your source? The article linked below says the conversion "supposedly" happens, but only with ALAC streams from the Apple Music streaming...
  9. B

I just got a WiiM Pro Plus. I'm happy with the sound, but I don't like the they implemented the 12V trigger. I expected it to be like my preamp (which I'm hoping the WiiM can replace): the trigger voltage would increase when it awakens from standby mode and decrease when it enters standby mode...
  10. B

I was referring to Apple's Music app (formerly iTunes), VLC, or any of many other paid and free music players.
  11. B

I don't think the WiiM is designed to be connected directly to a computer, but check with them - their forum is very active with people eager to help! I'm guessing that the way to do wired streaming is to connect the WiiM and the Mac to an Ethernet switch that's in turn connected to your...
  12. B

Wiim Pro Plus with turntable

If you wanted to bypass the receiver, Amir reviewed and recommended the three phono preamps below which are $150 or less. I'm considering the Schiit Mani to use with a turntable into the Wiim Pro Plus. (I set a max of $150, but there are other recommended models for more.)...
  13. B

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but if any Pro Plus owners are running the WiiM Home app on a tablet (preferably iPad), I'd love to see screen shots of Playlist View and Album View in landscape mode. If "list view" or "thumbnail view" are options, please select list view. I'm close...
  14. B

Suggestions for two-channel system upgrade in late 2023

I have professional batch conversion software (Myriad), so I could do it if I wanted/needed. In addition to the reasons I mentioned above for not converting to FLAC, it's not necessary for the WiiM Pro Plus - it supports ALAC, as do Denon receivers. (BTW, Apple made ALAC open source and...
  15. B

I'm happy with the TV I have, and my budget is limited. No new TV until this one breaks. The room has wall-to-wall carpeting (which I don't like, but as a renter I have no choice...) and is treated with Real Traps mini traps and micro traps. I'm a professional musician with recording...
  16. B

One possibility: replace the Marantz with these pieces of Schiit :), both recommended by Amir: Phono preamp - e.g., Schiit Mani ($149) Passive switch with two analog ins, one analog out - Schiit Sys ($49) Connect the Mani and the Oppo's analog outs to the Sys, then the Sys' output to the...
  17. B

Why? Because the Marantz can play FLAC files? Hadn't thought of this, but it seems like potentially a lot of work. Also, I rip files, create playlists, and occasionally listen to music in my home office via iTunes on a mac. Thanks!
  18. B

Looking for suggestions for upgrading my 2-channel system, which I use for both music and video. Current system: Marantz AV7005 pre-pro with AirPlay Emotiva BasX A-150 stereo amp Panasonic plasma TV TC-P46G10 Oppo BDP-93 disc player - connected to Marantz via HDMI for movies and via analog...
  19. B

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

I decided to hold out for the 4800, but thanks very much, @spacevector !
  20. B

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Nope, it expired. Thanks for the info! (Edit: Actually, I have my eye on the 4800. As posted earlier in this thread, slickdeals had a code for it in October - $1,299 at Adorama.)
Top Bottom