Search results

1. V

How Much Current is Needed & Amp Voltage

"I would guess that 90-100W continuous is the most you'd reliably get from that +/- 50VDC supply with a class AB amplifier. Dynamic power could plausibly be the 144W we just computed without ripple." To go above this limit a Arcam Class G topology with voltage rail switching may be the solution...
  2. V

Understanding Vented Speaker Impedance

Thank you @Rick Sykora for providing all these useful measurements. About the BR port tuning, what is the end configuration that you kept? Are the 2 impedance peaks of equal high the best compromise?
  3. V

Hi-End Floor Standing Speaker Production Process / 落地揚聲器製作過程 (音響製造) - Taiwan Speaker Factory

The B&W factory is impressive using a lot of specifically designed machines. What is missing in all these videos is the quality controls needed to verify that the sound is properly generated. From other videos I know that Focal and Whaferdale are doing these controls on individual drivers and...
  4. V

Is it time for the traditional 1kHz tone test for amp power to go? (brief Amir name drop)

As explained else where in the forum, there are at least 2 weakness for amplifier that are currently tested only at 1 khz: 1) Current capability with a low impedance load. The power cube as used for now is only operated at 1 khz. If an amp is successfully providing 100W at 1 khz, I want to now...
  5. V

Hi-End Floor Standing Speaker Production Process / 落地揚聲器製作過程 (音響製造) - Taiwan Speaker Factory

"They are "good value" with relatively budget models to high end."" On another forum I saw a similar issue on a Focal tower speaker. It was the mounting holes of the crossover Pcb that were not facing very well the enclosure drilling. ME are not always careful with internal parts that are no...
  6. V

Is it time for the traditional 1kHz tone test for amp power to go? (brief Amir name drop)

"No idea why you think that" @peng , I agree that Amir has improved the benchmark with tests using several loads. But the issue is that they are made at 1khz. What users want to know is if the amplifier is able to drive large woofers that need large currents. Could we add the same test at 50Hz?
  7. V

"Once there is enough capacitance to hold sufficient charge to provide its rated output into rated loads, then everything else is overkill, and therefore unnecessary." This is the problem with modern amplifiers: a tiny transformer + a small value capacitor are giving a lot of distorsion. In the...
  8. V

"the pcb can beng and nothing happens" As an EE I can assure you that is a very bad practice: it can make cracks in the soldering and makes non reliable electric connection. I am always loud against the ME that do such a design. On other forums you can find customers that have reliability...
  9. V

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

I am not sure that a new organization is needed to handle audio devices reviewing. Audio devices are not much different than computers equipments. Rtings and hundreds of websites are reviewing computer peripherals and they survived since many years. How do they handle the manufacturers that are...
  10. V

Focal 826-D Alternatives

Don't you have a treeble adjustment on the Denon? It could quickly gives an idea about your issue.
  11. V

Help me fix my broken Revel C12!

The tweeter low frequency cut is too high. Try to do draw a schematic of the tweeter crossover and from there it will be possible to try other components values.
  12. V

It is the first time that I watch a SA review. Well what the reviewer found may be accurate: The load dependency was noticed by Amir. The low amplifier gain was measured by Amir at 20.9dB. The channel crosstalk issue is obvious on the SA video. I can even listen high frequencies distorsion...
  13. V

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

Shelved down bass and 1.2khz dip are real flaws for this $6.5k speaker. I would have expected a more flat FR curve. The 3.2 Ohms impedance dip will require a top amplifier. Some AVRs may have difficulty to properly drive it. But compared to other Kef products it a has an advantage: it can...
  14. V

B&W vs Estelon vs Magico - Recent Demo

@cpachris , with your budget you can easily look at the Focal speakers, starting with the Sopra N2 and going through the Utopia serie. I would be surprised if the SQ is not high enough for you.
  15. V

Spyware In Cars - It's Worse Than You Think

@DesertRatt "He said they put them in every car sold!" In 2017 I bought a Ford Fusion Sport. I selected a lower trim to get sure that there was no cellular modem in this car. But when I signed the paperwork, there was a page about a GPS tracker, and for sure an additional fee. I refused to pay...
  16. V

High frequency response, how important is it?

After hearing tests with my MD, conclusion is that my eating is going up to 12khz included, but not a lot above. In my youth, I was listening at very high level and going very often to nightclubs that we're not regulated regarding the sound level... Anyway, I am modifying the crossover of my...
  17. V

JBL Conceal C83 Invisible Speaker Review

Clearly this technology of invisible speaker has its shortcomings: poor fidelity, needs of a powerful amplifier to accommodate the low indictive impedance. And, as I specified in the other thread, it is highly sensitive to the mounted process and the painting. The obvious advantage is the magic...
  18. V

Are 48 kHz enough to non-bat humans?

“If you are hearing a differece, it is most likely coming from the filter at 44.1kHz rolling off slightly in the audible band." Exactly, here is one of the issue. Do you believe in the marketing arguments that the manufacturer use to prove that his design is perfect? Only Amir can measure the...
  19. V

Are 48 kHz enough to non-bat humans?

There is the simple law of evolution. At the start was 44.1 khz and 48 khz, then 96 khz and 192 khz. Well, any equipment that is over capable is able to do less if needed. Why to invest money in something that is limited? Regarding picture quality, I try to watch 4k UHD DV movies, even if...
  20. V

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

"But what is talented? " For some talent gauge is the number of records sold. In that case Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston are at the top. For others, it could be the vocals or a certain type melody. Billie Eilis, Lana Del Rey and Miley Cyrus are in this category.
Top Bottom