Search results

1. charleski

Can *any* RaspPi-based streamer handle gapless AAC?

It appears that streamers based on open-source mpd/ffmpeg code are unable to implement gapless playback of aac files, probably because they aren't correctly handling the metadata tags. I've tested this on the latest builds of both moode and Volumio, and both skip between tracks. I've uploaded...
  2. charleski

A horn in The Horne Section - bizarre luxury-fi product placement

Members in the UK may have seen The Horne Section on Channel 4, starring Alex Horne and featuring Desiree Burch and John-Oliver-on-TV. You may also have noticed something odd in the background: Readers of Stereophile will recognise this as an Ara FS-1 from the constant ads (though I note it...
  3. charleski

Another Spot The Difference Thread

Yes, it's yet another of those 'can you hear a difference' threads! I know you all love them! This one even has a special Dr Evil twist to it! The music is a segment taken from Frode Fjellheim: Kyrie by Cantus & Frode Fjellheim published by 2L and made available on their test bench site. Since...
  4. charleski

Musical Fidelity XCans Review

This is a review and measurement of the venerable Musical Fidelity XCans (V1) headphone amplifier. This was first released in 1998 for the surprisingly-affordable price of £129 (I've attached a flyer and pricelist from 1998 below). The '90s were marked by the renaissance of pricey valve...
  5. charleski

Balanced connection for domestic audio: does it make sense?

There are good reasons to use balanced connections in professional applications. You're looking at long runs (tens of meters or more) of cable that sometimes has to carry very low-level signals (such as for microphones), so noise immunity is an important concern, especially as cable placement is...
  6. charleski

How to make your product look like snake-oil

In the most recent Stereophile Fremer does a puff-piece about pricey IsoAcoustic speaker feet ($1600 for a set of four, though I see they also have less ridiculous models). I was just going to dismiss it until I came to, "you'll find a video on the IsoAcoustics website made by PS Audio’s Paul...
Top Bottom