Search results

1. Open Mind Audio

Lightbulb moments, or how far have you come in your journey?

My biggest lightbulb moment was finding and fixing a huge bass null. This happened in my first attempt at a full home theater, a freshly renovated room with a 9.2 Atmos configuration. My subs were built in to the towers (Goldenear Triton Ones) and it all looked perfect, but the bass at the main...
  2. Open Mind Audio

Great "live performance" recordings? (any genre)

Not my go to, and not a genre I listen to often, but I was surprised at how good Judy Garland's "Judy at Carnegie Hall" sounds. Impressive for a 1951 recording.
  3. Open Mind Audio

looking for a simple cheap device to connect my 2 channels amps to several speakers seperatly ?

This will work great - and the company has several different configs, like 2 into 1, 4 into 2. Because it's passive, you can go either direction. I'm using one to alternate the signal to my amps between my Oppo (used for 5.1 and HT) and my Topping Pre90 preamp (used with a turntable). Works like...
  4. Open Mind Audio

1970s and 1980s Students! Reveal yourselves

I saw the Rolling Stones on their Farewell Tour -- in 1982. So glad I caught them before they retired!
  5. Open Mind Audio

What is the point of CD rips?

I rip CDs because I'm a compulsive, obsessive music hoarder and completist who masochistically enjoys being tormented by the thought that my naming and tagging schema will not make sense to my heirs after I die, unless I get them just right. In other words, the normal reasons.
  6. Open Mind Audio

JBL Conceal C83 Invisible Speaker Review

Any measurements online? I'd love to check them out.
  7. Open Mind Audio

Tower with good bass extension vs. stand-mount with a sub?

Someone needs to give some love to the big guns! It's true that standmounts with subs will give you more flexibility to achieve smooth bass frequencies by moving your one or two subs to the optimal location(s), totally indepenent of the mains, and then using room correction if necessary. (IMO...
  8. Open Mind Audio

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player

It's really quite an amazing piece of tech. Here eight years (?) after it was discontinued, it remains a Unicorn, able to multichannel DAC, play high-res discs, and stream stereo and multichannel with nearly the best of the best in each of those categories, not to mention being a fantastic...
  9. Open Mind Audio

Kef LS60 and Room correction?

This works for me with my LS60s. I always listen through Roon and set their EQ (when I used it, which is not always). My wife prefers Spotify but also doesn't give a damn about room correction.
  10. Open Mind Audio

Advice needed - Kef LS60 vs Kii vs D&D

Keith, could someone visit your showroom and hear all three?
  11. Open Mind Audio

A surprise on Qobuz...

You got me interested: Do other streaming services offer more multi-channel files?
  12. Open Mind Audio

Shouldn’t we be looking more at PA speakers?

Can you share photos of those JBL surrounds? How do you like them? Always wondered about those.
  13. Open Mind Audio

Buchardt Anniversary 10 Measurements and Review

Thanks for this response - the speaker looks fantastic to me, and the review seems to quibble over details that actually show what an amazing piece of audio engineering it is. I would love a sealed enclosure with this much bass at moderate SPL.
  14. Open Mind Audio

ASR MEMBERS: What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles?

I'd go in three steps. Start with something that has a general form factor similar (in size) to much less expensive systems, to drive home the point that well-made equipment can look somewhat familiar but then blow you away. Something like the Dutch & Dutch to showcase actives, or going with...
  15. Open Mind Audio

Kef LS60 wireless review by ErinsAudioCorner

Agreed. I love my LS60s. I bought them after a big move that got me fed up with lugging all my equipment around. The LS60s are now our primary stereo set up. They sound tremendous (albeit I never listen much north of 88-90 dBs tops), and they have plenty of bass. One measure of their greatness...
  16. Open Mind Audio

What advice you wish you could have given to your younger self or someone new to this hobby?

Advice to younger self: Don't believe that guy named Dennis selling a BIC speaker with a DIY modified crossover. It's still total crap. Always start with two awesome stereo speakers that you think you want to have for awhile. Build out from there. Plan for bass. Make an equipment plan that will...
  17. Open Mind Audio

Confusion over music streaming and DAC for my AVR. Do I need both?

Too bad the HEOS user experience does not appear to have improved, even after all these years. In your situation, keeping it simple, a good option would be to avoid an extra box and instead experiment with free or low-cost streamer software that will control your Denon. Roon is great if you're...
  18. Open Mind Audio

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

Well, crap. Just when I thought AV separates were hopeless and I should throw in the towel and return to using a basic little AVR, you suck me back in. <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/tTDlx5ZQQug2Ph218n" width="480" height="272" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed"...
  19. Open Mind Audio

Harman acquires Roon

Very true. Hopefully enough of a market persists to keep it alive and flourishing for those of us who appreciate it. I've tried pretty much every digital music interface and service around, and Roon is leagues beyond them all.
  20. Open Mind Audio

Harman acquires Roon

At least the Verge guy reporting on this (Nilay Patel) has a sense of humor: "People who can afford to pay for a high-end music service that works with their high-end music gear love change so we’ll see how this goes!"...
Top Bottom