Search results

1. ripmixburn

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

Not a lawyer but I have heard that homeowners or renters insurance can often have a very affordable add-on for defamation and SLAPP lawsuits. Worth checking your policies as it may already be included.
  2. ripmixburn

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Wow, two of these and a great DAC/preamp with PEQ or RoomEQ and you are good to go. MiniDSP Flex I assume?
  3. ripmixburn

CES 2024

I’ve seen some impressive measurements, though in-room, of Samsung latest soundbars on rtings.com. Given the recent Sonos review, would be something to have a soundbar reviewed here that blew everyone’s expectations out of the water. What a time!
  4. ripmixburn

What kind of stylus is this?

They confirmed it but it just doesn’t look like it to me only based on this square nude shank. Again, I’m no expert.
  5. ripmixburn

Drum roll… it is (alleged to be) a Shibata. In particular this one. http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATSER05S.html
  6. ripmixburn

I'm just going by this diagram. What I see is an elliptical, possibly nude shank but this is my first time trying to ID a stylus.
  7. ripmixburn

Doesn't Shibata have a square shank?
  8. ripmixburn

Here are two more: https://giphy.com/channel/ripmixburn
  9. ripmixburn

Video of the same stylus, slightly cleaner (pasting Giphy share or direct URL did not work) https://giphy.com/embed/oAylzw68solwC8sDv8
  10. ripmixburn

Images courtesy of this clip-on microscope. Such magnification, it's nearly impossible to get in frame and in focus, but worth the effort for the low price.
  11. ripmixburn

Maybe 100 hours on this cartridge, brushed dry before photographing in sunlight. How can I identify the type of stylus on it? I know what it was advertised as having but I am hoping for third party verification.
  12. ripmixburn

SMSL updates the $249 85w/160w AO200 Mk2 w/ MA5332MS chipset

I also sense a small amount of glare, but oddly much prefer the SMSL AO200 MKII to the combination of NCORE (Audiophonics MPA-S250NC) and JDS Labs Atom as a preamp. This is either with a pair of Arendal 1961 Bookshelf speakers or even PSB Imagine Mini. The Fosi BT20A-PRO is the glariest of the...
  13. ripmixburn

HumminGuru Ultrasonic vinyl cleaner mini review

I've noticed these ultrasonic cleaners, which are useful for more than just records. 50kHz and effect resembles my small tank-based ultrasonic cleaner. Is anyone else curious? Maybe I'll get one. People do complain about reliability but I think the trick is to avoid using it for more than 10...
  14. ripmixburn

Neil Young PONO player Review

I guess if Neil Young drove up and pressured me to wax poetic on his product, I'd do the same, but this is quite a celebrity parade of dumb comments. Never meet your idols I guess.
  15. ripmixburn

Neil Young PONO player Review

The ad campaign was so strange and misleading. I recall him having famous musicians endorse the sound after a demo in his car stereo. CBC
  16. ripmixburn

JDS Atom Amp 2 Headphone Amplifier Review

Are you able to measure the preamp function?
  17. ripmixburn

SMSL updates the $249 85w/160w AO200 Mk2 w/ MA5332MS chipset

How is the tonality? Any harshness in the upper midrange? I have found that to be the case with the Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, but not with the lesser powered SMSL SA300. Generally I find that if I want to keep increasing the volume on any track, the tonality is good for me, with my ears, in my room.
  18. ripmixburn

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro Amplifier Review

Late to the party here, but I own the BT20A Pro and the SMSL SA300 which is Infineon-based. Comparing several speakers in different rooms and DACs, the BT20A Pro is significantly more fatiguing than the SA300. There is a sharpness to the lower-treble/upper-midrange that is unpleasant even at...
  19. ripmixburn

Calculating volume in a semi-open space

Ah okay, so just focus on this area (or volume). I do have an SPL meter. Do I just set it to C-weighted and play some music as loud as I generally listen?
  20. ripmixburn

Calculating volume in a semi-open space

I live in a townhouse with a semi-open ground floor, and I'm not sure how to calculate the volume which would be useful in selecting speakers. I'm looking at in-walls or on-walls because winter is approaching and the gas stove is likely to scorch my floorstanding speakers. The ceilings are 9.5...
Top Bottom