Search results

1. G

Would ZeroSurge or SurgeX worth it and would make sound worse?

You can locate good used SurgeX on eBay from reliable sellers for much less than full price... of course that's as-is, where-is . I prefer the rack models as I don't need'm to look pretty for a AV display. I installed one in a kitchen cabinet for an expensive household appliance and I have an...
  2. G

Sunfire Cinema Grand Review (5-channel Amp)

There are only a few remaining Carver/Sunfire Audio Repair Shops that I know of which specialize in handling the Sunfire/Carver amps. A 3rd, Bill Flannery at Flannery's Vintage Audio, retired in mid 2022 due to health. a) Mr. Roland Barr @ Carver Audio Repair ->...
  3. G

Refreshing movies worth watching

"The Forgotten Battle (2020)" -> IMDB -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10521092/ YT Trailer -> The "Battle of the Schelde" evolves when allies need to retake the Schelde estuary. Germans have dug in and are controlling access to supply Antwerp. Outstanding cinematography and a look at a...
  4. G

Would ZeroSurge or SurgeX worth it and would make sound worse?

Furman does not and cannot use "series-mode" technology b/c they do not license it. In fact, I recall they may have been sued over infringement and had to change the name. I've used various ZeroSurge, BrickWall, and SurgeX for years to protect computers, AV equipment without any issues. All...
  5. G

Surge protector recommendations?

All 3 - BrickWall, ZeroSurge and SurgeX deploy licensed variations of the patented series-mode device (SMD) suppression circuitry which I recall is owned by ZeroSurge.. but don't quote me on the patent owner. Using any of the three is, IMHO, far superior to _ANY_ MOV-based surge suppression...
  6. G

15-18" Powered Subwoofer Pair Build

If you want to consider another custom / hand-made woofer fabricator on the eastern US, I suggest browsing to near Charlotte, NC "Stereo Integrity" -> https://stereointegrity.com/product-category/subwoofers/ With either SI or FI, you are stepping into "deadly serious" territory you are not...
  7. G

Carver M-1.5t Review (Vintage Amp)

^^^ I owned quite a few CarverM200T cube units at one time in a larger HT setup using 1 per channel. I sent them in for recapping and general service every few years and the last time I asked Rita (no longer in business) if there was any way silence them better. As I recall, her response was...
  8. G

Do you need AC Noise Filtering For Your Audio Devices?

I agree. I'm not as much interested in the RFI "filtering" for "objective audio improvements" so let's avoid that quicksand. As many have stated here and in several other threads, most of today's PSU filter most "line noise" from reaching into AV circuits so for me, it is not the priority. I...
  9. G

Out for a few more days

Amir, depending on what you learn on the infiltration, you may need something like this installed around the exterior to relieve the hydrostatic pressures on the walls and act as a drainage plane against those walls. The older "french drains" solutions may not ideal or up to the tasks and most...
  10. G

Carver TFM-xx Amplifiers

I too have a Sunfire 5 Channel Cinema Grand I had recapped by the folks in WA which I've recently pulled from the setup. I intended to ship it into Amir for a "test drive" - before COVID but then things got crazy and with what he's got going on right-now.... I deferred until calmer waters. I...
  11. G

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Power Conditioner Review

^^ If you set your calendar and replace the batteries faithfully ~ every 3 - 3.5 years (and use good quality batteries) UPSes will last a long time. One of the longevity keys is not letting the SLA (sealed lead acid) batts go "dead" due to time and then overheat, leak and ruin the unit. I've...
  12. G

HDMI 2.1 transition - AV receivers and owners facing challenges

On a related note, this just astounded me yesterday when I read it. The HDMI 2.1 "standard" is a "choose what you want to implement" where anything is fair game to be omitted and yet still be labeled "HDMI 2.1". All I can think is WTH? This may explain a lot. Such a "loose standard"...
  13. G

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Another point for your design is "simple serviceability!" When those ECaps on the board do play out, replacing the entire PCBs should almost be a plug-n-play operation - assuming then boards have similar connections in N years. Just my .02. Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.
  14. G

^^ Absolutely correct - the game is layers, layers, layers. Once the NEC starting requiring it in new construction, many firms (Eaton, Siemens, ...) have delivered viable products. Again, nothing but being 100% unplugged stands to thwart a direct or adjacent lightening bolt. 1) I used these...
  15. G

I'm sorry for the delay in answering. Adding to above: "Double conversion UPS" are probably what you are thinking of as "always on" These are usually true sine-wave. Most double conversion UPSes have multiple fans that run 24/7 so depending on size and location, be aware. I have an Eaton...
  16. G

For brief drops and gen kick-in time, you need a good sine-wave UPS to step in as the failure is detected and when a generator can crank and pick up the load. This is pretty much standard operating designs we've used in datacenters for decades. On the UPS, be prepared to replace the batteries...
  17. G

Suggest reviewing the papers on the Series mode designs deployed by BrickWall, ZeroSurge and SurgeX.
  18. G

I only use SurgeX and mostly the SX1115RT and SX1120 units b/c they have the COVUS range with Series-mode surgex + high voltage shutdown integrated into a 1U panel. I also use the SurgeX SEQ / sequencers cascading to turn on/off the main power amps and other components triggered by the main...
  19. G

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

^^^ There usually is a "longer-tail" market for "BTO (Build-To-Order)" or "highly customized to exactly what I want" specs. I'm not sure explaining to people why solution A costs 2x as much as B b/c of the uniqueness or "added cost for the smaller, BTO cases" matters in that realm of reality...
  20. G

FWIW -not new news, but I'll clarify a few points. Our WW supply chain shortage reaches far wider than is being assumed. Computer manufacturers are announcing lead times increasing by 2x - 3x plus significant price increases the past couple of months with more OTW. Networking switch gear has...
Top Bottom